Hi all,

See below for a lecture of relevance to anthropology!

From: Humanities Research Center <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, September 14, 2022 at 12:02 PM
To: Steven Patrick Black <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Presenting Dr. Wendy Chun

“From Discriminating Data to Digital Democracies: Why We Need to Work Across Disciplines”

Dr. Wendy Chun

Hybrid Public Lecture
Thursday, September 29th at 4:30pm

College of Arts & Sciences Event Center,
25 Park Place, 2nd Floor

Dr. Wendy Hui Kyong Chun is the Canada 150 Research Chair in New Media at Simon Fraser University in British Columbia, where she also leads the Digital Democracies Institute. The Institute integrates research in the humanities and data sciences to address questions of equality and social justice in order to combat the proliferation of online “echo chambers,” abusive language, discriminatory algorithms and mis/disinformation by fostering critical and creative user practices and alternative paradigms for connection. Dr. Chun is the author of several books, most recently Discriminating Data: Correlation, Neighborhoods, and the New Politics of Recognition (MIT Press, 2021), which investigates the centrality of race, gender, class and sexuality to big data and network analytics.

This event is part of our hybrid lecture series and will be offered both in-person and livestreamed. Please register according to your preference.

Presented by the Humanities Research Center with support from Georgia Humanities thanks to a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities that is part of the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021. We also acknowledge support from the Georgia State University Amos Endowment and Georgia State’s Mellon-funded Intersectionality Collective.

Any views, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed by the Humanities Research Center, its speakers, and/or fellows, do not necessarily represent those of either Georgia Humanities or the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Learn more about Georgia Humanities and the National Endowment for the Humanities.

Facebook

Twitter

Link

Website

Copyright © 2022, Humanities Research Center, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:

This email was sent to [log in to unmask]
Humanities Research Center · College of Arts and Sciences, Deans Office · Georgia State University · Atlanta, Ga 30303 · USA

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

CAUTION: This email was sent from someone outside of the university. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.