See below for a digital volunteer opportunity this fall that may lead to some connections for non-academic ethnography careers. If interested, they would like to hear from you by August 1:
From: Jan English-Lueck <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wednesday, July 7, 2021 at 10:09 PM
To: Jennifer J Patico <[log in to unmask]>, Steven Patrick Black <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Call for student volunteers, EPIC 2021 (Ethnography in Industry, Consultancies, Governments, Universities and Design)
Dear Jennifer, Steven, and your graduate students,
We would like to offer students the opportunity to attend EPIC2021 as student or recent alumni volunteers.
Conference volunteers do essential work to run the conference. This year, as in 2020, we are having a virtual conference, so the opportunities to volunteer differ from previous conferences. Volunteers would:
· Attend a volunteer training session [1-2 hours during the week of October 4]
· Assist attendees at the “info desk.” We will offer people a chance to schedule four 6-hour shifts. Two of those would be scheduled during the networking and educational week (October 11- 15) and two shifts during the presentations from (October 18-21).
· Answer FAQs about the program, schedule, and digital platform navigation
· Troubleshoot common technical issues
· Route other questions to chairs/staff
· Assist an instructor with one tutorial [3 hours during October 11–15]
· Help presenters navigate their digital access to presentation sessions, question and answer sessions, and other discussion spaces.
Our conference will run on a 24-hour clock, so we need people to help across a range of global time zones. In exchange for help, volunteers will receive:
- Free conference registration (includes access to the entire program except for tutorials).
- Free one-year EPIC Membership. Check out membership benefits here.
We want this opportunity to be a fabulous experience for volunteers to learn and advance their professional goals, and we would be happy to make introductions and help them network within the EPIC community.
We ask that in considering this position, volunteers make sure they have the flexibility to attend the conference and accept volunteer shifts during the period from October 11–21.
Please ask your students to respond to this invitation by August 1 to [log in to unmask] and let us know if you have any questions about the volunteer role or the conference generally. We will take sign-ups on a rolling basis.
Dr. Jan English-Lueck
Cultures@SiliconValley 2nd edition
Professor of Anthropology, and Acting Graduate Coordinator
Co-Chair, EPIC 2021
San Jose State University
San Jose CA 95192-0113
(email to arrange phone or Zoom calls)
CAUTION: This email was sent from someone outside of the university. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.