Dear Ph.D. students,

As you know, our department is implementing a new Ph.D. Teaching Assistantship (TA) stipend policy. Under this policy, all department-supported students are appointed either as Teaching Fellows or Graduate Teaching Assistants.  Based on your feedback and the results of the first round of Teaching Fellow selection, we decided to augment the policy. The basic structure will stay the same with several changes. The general scheme is outlined below. The updates come into effect immediately.

All Ph.D. students will be appointed for 10 months in a year (August to May) with an optional Summer appointment (June and July) depending on instructional needs. The basic stipend will still be $16,500/10 months. Two types of appointments will be:

1) Teaching Fellow (TF)

     a) Each TF can teach 1 or 2 sections per semester. For each section, he/she will receive an extra $1,000 per section taught. Thus, the TF's salary could be between $1750/month and $2050/month, depending on the number of sections taught.

     b) All department-supported students (including MBD and B&B students) are expected to be TFs at least once per year.

     c)  We encourage the students to volunteer for TF positions; at the time of application a student can suggest what and how many classes he/she is willing to teach for extra pay. If we will not have enough volunteers, then additional TFs can be appointed by the department.

     d) For Summer appointments, preference will be given to the students who taught more classes in Fall and Spring and to TF volunteers. With Summer classes, the annual TF salary can be as high as $24,800.

2) Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA): a student will receive a basic stipend and work as a lab TA/grader in Fall & Spring

A Ph.D. student can receive TF or GTA support for up to 5 years. Funding renewal depends on the results of the annual evaluation and teaching performance for the first 4 years. If a student has received support for 4 years and expects the assistantship to be renewed for the 5th year, the Graduate Committee will evaluate the student's overall performance to decide whether the assistantship can be renewed.

--
Pavel Skums, Ph.D.,
Assistant Professor and Associate Director for Graduate Studies,