Weekly CS Undergraduate Newsletter #24
October 28th, 2020
o Two sessions at 2pm - 3:30pm as well as 6:30pm - 8pm. You can join either one via this Zoom link.
§ Come in to review these coding approaches, practice problem solving, and code out a few examples for yourself
o We will be going over how to do basic HTML and CSS web development
o After the tutorial, attendees will break out into small groups and build their own websites, with professional engineers there to provide help
§ The event will take place over discord channel link is https://discord.gg/Bx3cge
· GSU chapter of the ACM - presents Interviewing Skills Talk with Microsoft Employees, featuring Alex Kelly, Senior Software Engineering Manager
o Thursday, October 29th from 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
o Teams link: https://aka.ms/gsuskillstalk
· Cybersecurity Club @ GSU - Friday October 30th - Security Q&A with guest speaker Ryan Frillman, from Equifax (see flyer)
o RSVP for the Event: https://forms.gle/fTGRUnrfqUH9ad779
o Registration for Cybersecurity Club: https://forms.gle/2hXcCEpMqP8wQGVE8
Join Discord Channel:
· Girls++ hosting Google career event (virtual) - Thursday, October 29th, 4:30pm - 5:30pm (see flyer)
Career Related Announcements:
· Microsoft Presentation - Job Search Tips Using LinkedIn, Thursday, October 29th, 3:00pm - 5:00pm EDT
o Join Brock Davis from Microsoft to learn about tips in your career search. This event is open to all GSU Students and Alumni
· First session 3pm - 3:45pm
· Second session 4:00pm - 4:45pm
o Sign up here: https://app.joinhandshake.com/events/594500/share_preview
· Dell Technologies Recruiting Event - Thursday, October 29th, from 12:00pm - 1:15pm EDT (see flyer)
o Attend this extremely awesome and REAL event made just for you.
· Twitter - The application for @TwitterU's #FirstFlight20 program is now open!
o #FirstFlight is a two-day program for third-year students who identify as black, Hispanic/Latinx, and/or Indigenous People. Participants will experience hands-on technical workshops, professional development seminars, meet with senior leaders, engage with our Business Resource Groups (BRGs), and explore career opportunities at Twitter. All selected participants will interview on day two of the program for internship opportunities.
o This is a great opportunity for students to grow their networking and have an opportunity to interview with Twitter.
o Students can apply at t.co/FirstFlight application are due by Nov 1st, 2020 at 11:59 pm PST.
Twitter Virtual Events -
· Cybersecurity CO-OP with Cox Communications - Q&A session, Thursday, November 5th from 2:30pm - 3:30pm (see flyer)
Undergraduate Research Opportunity:
· [REMINDER] PAID and UNPAID Research Positions in MORSE Studio Lab (GSU Computer Science Department)
o There are multiple open research positions for both UNDERGRADUATE and GRADUATE students in Dr. Ashok's MORSE Studio laboratory. All the positions will start immediately. More information about the research topics will be uploaded on Dr. Ashok's webpage: http://ashwinashok.com by Thursday, Oct 8. The evaluation of the applications will start rolling from Oct 9, Friday and will be open until filled. However, it is likely that most decisions will be taken by Friday, Oct 16 and the first round of decisions will be emailed and students will be requested for 1-1 video interview/meeting.
o Apply here: https://forms.gle/sr43rxtHbe4C5sBd6
Mr. Jamie Hayes, M.A.
Undergraduate Academic Coordinator | Department of Computer Science
Georgia State University - College of Arts and Sciences
25 Park Place, 7th Floor |Atlanta, GA 30303