Dear all,

Welcome to our crazy semi-virtual Fall 2020 semester! I just wanted to check in and let you know that I am available next week for virtual meetings for advisement as grad director. I will also be available for virtual drop-ins through webex on Thursdays 1-3pm https://gsumeetings.webex.com/meet/sblack

A few other things:

  *   If this is your 2nd semester, remember that you should be thinking about whether or not you will choose capstone or thesis, and should determine your advisor/ thesis committee by the semester midpoint. If your thesis project involves human subjects you should be starting to think about your IRB application in consultation with your advisor.
  *   If this is your 3rd semester and you are on track to graduate, you should apply to graduate Spring 2021 at the beginning of THIS semester. You should be working with your advisor to determine your prospectus questions or figuring out your capstone project.
  *   If this is your 4th semester and you are on track to graduate, you should be starting to write your thesis/ capstone in consultation with your advisor/ committee! IF you forgot to apply for graduation during your third semester, let me know immediately.
  *   Here is the website for all your non-course milestone forms: https://cas.gsu.edu/academics-admissions/required-milestones/

Take care,
Dr. Black

Steven P. Black
Associate Professor and Director of Graduate Studies/ Department of Anthropology / Georgia State University
Co-Editor / Society for Linguistic Anthropology Column / Anthropology News
Senior Editor / Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology
The Global Health Discourse Project<http://sites.gsu.edu/sblack/> / GSU Anthropology<https://anthropology.gsu.edu/> / Book: Speech and Song at the Margins of Global Health<https://www.rutgersuniversitypress.org/speech-and-song-at-the-margins-of-global-health/9780813597713>