Dear grad students,

See below for a series of workshops on qualitative research software. These are great for cultural/ linguistic anthropology students. Knowing how to use programs like Nvivo is increasingly being seen as an important research skill, especially for careers outside academia, so I recommend “attending” one or more of these!

Take care,

Dr. Black

From: Mandy Swygart-Hobaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 at 12:43 PM
To: Mandy Swygart-Hobaugh <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: "Logics & Logistics of Qualitative Research" online sessions + NVivo online workshops

Hello GSU Qual Folx,

A heads up that I'll be offering my normal NVivo workshops -- except 'abnormal' in that they'll be all online. I've listed at the bottom of this email all the dates/times/links. I also will be co-presenting the following methods-meets-mechanics session that may be of interest to you and/or your qualitative colleagues.

Best,

Mandy

The Logics and Logistics of Qualitative Research:

A Framework for Exploring Concepts, Dimensions, and Relationships in Qualitative Data using NVivo Research Software

Thursday, October 1, 11:00am-12:30pm, https://gsumeetings.webex.com/meet/aswygarthobaugh

In this presentation, Dr. Ralph LaRossa, Professor Emeritus of Sociology, and Dr. Mandy Swygart-Hobaugh, Librarian Associate Professor for Sociology & Data Services and Team Leader for Research Data Services, will present both the theoretical-methodological logics and the applied-methodological logistics of conducting qualitative data analysis (i.e., non-statistical analysis of textual, audio, visual, and/or audiovisual sources). Dr. LaRossa will discuss the steps involved in building theoretically-rich qualitative analyses (the logics). Dr. Swygart-Hobaugh will outline the specific features of NVivo qualitative research software that complement and facilitate these analyses (the logistics). There also will be opportunities for questions and discussion.

This presentation will be especially helpful for faculty and graduate students who are immersed – or about to be immersed – in a qualitative project and would like an overview on how to do qualitative analysis and how to use NVivo in the process. Those interested in publishing qualitative work and/or applying for grants based on qualitative work will also find it helpful.

NOTE: This presentation will NOT involve in-depth NVivo training – see the workshop listings on this page for other NVivo training opportunities for Georgia State University affiliates.

Suggested Reading:

If you have time, peruse this reading before the session to give you a grounding for the session's content:

Swygart-Hobaugh, M. (2019). Bringing method to the madness: An example of integrating social science qualitative research methods into NVivo data analysis software training. IASSIST Quarterly, 43(2), 1-16. https://doi.org/10.29173/iq956

NVIVO WORKSHOPS ~ FALL 2020

NVivo 1 for Windows: Getting Started (ONLINE)

https://rooms.library.gsu.edu/event/6901883

Date: Thursday, September 17, 2020

Time: 7:00pm - 9:00pm

NVivo 2 for Windows: Exploring Your Data (ONLINE)

https://rooms.library.gsu.edu/event/6901890

Date: Thursday, September 24, 2020

Time: 7:00pm - 9:00pm

NVivo 1 for Windows: Getting Started (ONLINE)

https://rooms.library.gsu.edu/event/6901886

Date: Wednesday, October 14, 2020

Time: 1:00pm - 3:00pm

NVivo 2 for Windows: Exploring Your Data (ONLINE)

https://rooms.library.gsu.edu/event/6901892

Date: Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Time: 1:00pm - 3:00pm

NVivo 1 for Windows: Getting Started (ONLINE)

https://rooms.library.gsu.edu/event/6901888

Date: Monday, November 9, 2020

Time: 11:00am - 1:00pm

NVivo 2 for Windows: Exploring Your Data (ONLINE)

https://rooms.library.gsu.edu/event/6901894

Date: Monday, November 16, 2020

Time: 11:00am - 1:00pm