Hello CS Graduate Students

Please find the latest response from Dr. Lisa Armistead in response to the petition and questions from Dept. of CS graduate students. I have highlighted some key points in RED.

Kindly, do not independently email Dr. Armistead as multiple emails about the same subject from different students can lead to confusion. Please let me know if you have any issues further and we will take it further. If you are not aware, a set of graduate students in our department have been representing and I believe a CS graduate student association is under formation. I also believe there is a SLACK channel communication going on amongst CS graduate students. Kindly reach out to be involved.

---------Excerpt from Dr. Armistead's email response--------
Unfortunately, we do not have control over the USG's decisions regarding health insurance.  The timing of the changes is difficult for many reasons, and I am certainly concerned for our students.  I have advocated for and have received support for continuing the university's support to continue to offset the cost of health insurance for graduate assistants.  The university will continue to contribute $400 per academic year per student to offset the cost of the SHIP policy.

Attached is an FAQ that I received today from the USG.  There is some helpful information about health insurance for our international students, and they provide a justification for requiring the ACA compliant policy.  Note that the PGO policy for international students can be used to waive out of SHIP.

Again, I share your concerns about the financial challenges this presents but have limited control over the decisions that were made.  Students will need to pay their complete bill by the next fee drop, 8/24/2020.

Kind regards,

Lisa Armistead, Ph.D.

Dean, Georgia State University Graduate School

Professor of Psychology

404.413.2091

Ashwin Ashok
Assistant Professor, Computer Science
Honors College Faculty Associate
Georgia State University
http://ashwinashok.com<https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fashwinashok.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7Ctdudley%40gsu.edu%7Cbf6bf26bdd4a439e2a8e08d8357b9ef2%7C515ad73d8d5e4169895c9789dc742a70%7C0%7C0%7C637318153662037473&sdata=oSmh7BWNCr2c8tur7qD5V7spJRvM2mJb2uo97jK1gcM%3D&reserved=0>

[https://mailfoogae.appspot.com/t?sender=aYXNod2luZWNlLmFzaG9rQGdtYWlsLmNvbQ%3D%3D&type=zerocontent&guid=102a87ee-9aea-442a-821c-affe00f581b5]ᐧ
CAUTION: This email was sent from someone outside of the university. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe.