Dear graduate students,

I hope you are all doing as well as can be expected given the ongoing pandemic, the protests against systemic racism and police brutality in the aftermath of the police killing of George Floyd, and economic disruption/ recession (among other things). You may not have the time or headspace to respond to this email, and if not, I understand. If so, read on:

As you may have heard, I am going to be stepping into the role of Director of Graduate Studies for the anthropology department starting in July. Given the fact that social distancing will likely be continuing to various degrees throughout the Fall semester, I’m writing to you in your capacity as social media experts for feedback on how the department can promote community and sociality among grad students. I’m especially interested in any ideas you might have about how to incorporate the incoming MA students into your already-strong community. I’ve come up with some old guy ideas, like starting a Facebook page specific to the grad program, or setting up a series of small-group chats on Zoom or Skype, but I’m sure you could come up with things I’ve never considered. So please, if you have the chance, let me know what you think I can do as grad director to support your collegial community in an online format! (any other suggestions for grad director actions are also welcome).

Take care,

Dr. Black

Steven P. Black

Associate Professor / Department of Anthropology / Georgia State University

Co-Editor / Society for Linguistic Anthropology Column / Anthropology News

Senior Editor / Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Anthropology

The Global Health Discourses Project / GSU Anthropology / Book: Speech and Song At the Margins of Global Health

P.O. Box 3998

Atlanta, GA 30302-3998

(404) 413-5168