Dear CS Undergraduate Students:

Welcome to the start of the fall 2019 semester! As the new Director of Undergraduate Studies of the CS Department, I would like to pass on to you several important messages that can help you to better prepare for your studies in this semester and beyond.

1.       For all new CS students, please be aware that you need to meet the Pre-Major Requirements in order to become a CS major. To meet these requirements, students must earn an average of 2.5 grade points across three designated course areas with no grade lower than a C, and the GPA will be calculated based on the first attempt at the courses. Details about the Pre-Major requirements can be found at https://www.cs.gsu.edu/pre-major-requirements/

2.       If you are taking core 1000-, 2000-, and 3000-level courses (including CSC 1301, CSC 1302, CSC 2510, CSC 2720, CSC 3210 and CSC 3320), please keep in mind that the CS Tutoring Center offers free tutoring for these courses. The tutoring hours are Monday through Thursday from 10am-5pm, Friday 10am–3 pm. And the location is at Sports Arena Room 113, 114 and 116.

3.       We have formed a new team to assist undergraduate studies. The team includes Dr. Xiaolin Hu (Director of Undergraduate Studies), Dr. Kebina Manandhar (Associate Director), Dr. Awad Mussa, Dr. Olga Glebova, Mr. Louis Henry and Mr. Jamie Hayes. If you have any questions related to Undergraduate Studies, please contact me ([log in to unmask]) or Jamie ([log in to unmask]), or any other member of the CS Undergraduate Team.

4.       Do not forget that the CS Department has amazing social media pages and you can find them at this link, to keep up with the goings-on of the department: https://www.cs.gsu.edu/social-media/

5.       I would also like to take this opportunity to remind you of several upcoming events in the following weeks:

a.       FB Competitive Programming Team Event on Tuesday, Sept. 10th. See link.

b.       NCR Career Event on Wednesday, Sept. 11th. See link.

c.       Twitter Career Event on Thursday, Sept. 19th. See link.

d.       Campus Wide Career Fair on Tuesday, Oct 8th. See link.

Xiaolin

Xiaolin Hu

Professor and Director of Undergraduate Studies

Department of Computer Science

Georgia State University

404-413-5716 (office)

http://www.cs.gsu.edu/xhu/