Dear CSc students -

I hope the semester is going well for you so far. Please consider the following guidelines when making your schedule for the spring semester:

  1.  Our curriculum is designed so CSc majors should be taking no more than two (2) CSc classes in a semester. This will provide a balanced schedule for you throughout your academic career and provide time to reinforce your learning outside of the classroom.
  2.  Consider securing an internship prior to graduation.
  3.  Schedule CSc 4520 (Algorithms) soon after completing CSc 2720 (Data Structures), as this course is useful for all 4000-level courses.
  4.  Schedule CSc 4350 (Software Engineering) as one of your last classes, as this class serves as a capstone course for your program.
  5.  Register as soon as your ticket allows since classes fill up quickly.

For students taking 4000-level classes, we are offering 3 new special topics courses. Each of these will be on the latest technologies and will be utilizing Python, so please take the time to get comfortable with Python if needed. Here is the info for the three classes:

  1.  Computer Vision -- Prereqs are CSc 3320 and Math 3030. Satisfies the CWS and GHI concentrations.
  2.  Deep Learning -- Prereqs are CSc 4740 or CSc 4850. Satisfies the DKS concentration.
  3.  Blockchain and Applications -- Prereq is CSc 2720. Satisfies the CWS and NPD concentrations.

Note: if you're on a catalog that does not require concentrations, these classes count towards Area G electives.

For students in the 3000-level classes and below, please make sure to utilize the tutoring center in 107 Sports Arena. This is also a great place to go and study to be around your peers.

Best wishes!

--

Anu G. Bourgeois, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Director of Undergraduate Studies