Dear All

I am excited to invite you all to an Open House session on Apr 26th (Wednesday) where students from my Computer Vision course (CSC 8980) will demonstrate their projects to an open audience.

The open house will be held from 10 AM to 1 PM at the large conference room (Room 755) at 25 Park Place building

Course Structure:

This is the first time we are offering the Computer Vision course at CS. This semester marked a registration of 21 students (+ 1 auditing). The students are all graduate students, with a mix of M.S. and Doctoral students. The course was conducted in a style where the students learned the theoretical and algorithmic aspects of Computer Vision in class while they started off doing a project from the beginning of the semester, with 4 checkpoints through the semester and 1 final presentation (on Apr 22, Saturday, you are welcome to attend that as well!).

I opened 10 project topics (broad ideas) of which the students were allowed to choose with a goal to implement a real world computer vision application. Some projects have a team of 2 members while most of them are individual submissions.

Example project topics include:

Can you build a 360 degree vision camera using a smartphone?

How can computer vision help a visionary impaired person cross a road?

Can you get rid of jerks in your video when you are capturing while moving?

Can you recognize a person and his/her expressions?

How can a robot keep score of a ping pong game using computer vision ball tracking?

Voting and Awards:

The audience will select top 3 projects based on voting on the open house day. The top 3 projects are promised to get bonus points for the course grade. You vote based on what project IMPRESSED YOU THE MOST on that day!

Kindly grace this occasion with your presence and enjoy getting to know the wonderful projects that the students have created as a part of this course. Come and support our students! Let us know what project(s) impressed you the most! I am sure they will ALL :)

Thanks,

Ashwin Ashok
Assistant Professor, Computer Science
Georgia State University