Hello from Google!

We are writing to let you know about igniteCS and Applied CS with Android, two Google programs that might be of interest to you.

igniteCS provides funding and resources for groups of college and university students to make a difference in their local communities through Computer Science mentorship. Students design a mentorship program that best serves their local community, and Google provides resources, support and funding of up to $10,000 to help make it happen. igniteCS is designed to provide opportunities for undergraduate students to apply CS knowledge outside the classroom, and to foster an inclusive and welcoming CS environment for everyone.

Applications will be accepted January 17th through February 19th. Check out our website for further details and join our G+ community for more information as well! The igniteCS team is here to help, so please reach out if you have any questions!

Google is also looking for students who are passionate about CS enrichment, outreach and education to bring Applied CS with Android to campus as a student facilitator. Facilitators act as the primary lead for the Applied CS with Android program at their university, partnering with faculty and students on planning and hosting the program workshops and code sprint. Eligible student facilitators should have completed a university-level data structures and algorithms course and ideally feel comfortable programming in Java.

Student facilitators will gain exposure to the knowledge and skills relevant to industry-level software engineering careers. It’s a leadership and development opportunity in CS that connects students to Googlers as well as a group of like-minded, passionate CS students globally. Selected facilitators will also get the chance to attend an in-person training bootcamp at Google in late February 2017 to learn more about the program, practice facilitation and network with each other and Googlers. Interested students can fill out our interest form and we’ll send along the application.

--

Anu G. Bourgeois, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Director of Undergraduate Studies