--------ALL funded PhD students are required to attend 4-8 colloquiums per semester-----------------------

Title. Supporting big data applications on high-performance computing systems at extreme scales
Speaker: Dongfang Zhang, Postdoctoral researcher at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Location: 755, 25 Park Place

Abstract. Many big data analytics tools have emerged to meet the increasing need of data-intensive applications in data centers. Yet, most of those tools are optimized for commodity hardware and have not been ported and optimized for many hardware features that can be found in high-performance computing (HPC) platforms such as fat nodes with a large amount of memory, RISC processors, and DMA networks. In this talk I will present some recent efforts made in joint projects between universities and national labs to support data-intensive applications on extreme-scale HPC systems. I will start with introducing FusionFS---a new distributed system designed for data-intensive scientific applications on supercomputers. FusionFS employs many features not commonly seen in conventional systems: distributed metadata management, optimized I/O throughput for checkpointing, dynamic file chunking, cooperative caching, lightweight provenance, GPU-accelerated data redundancy. I will also discuss several future directions of my research.

Speaker’s Biography. Dr. Dongfang Zhao is a postdoctoral researcher at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, Washington. His research interests span big data systems, machine learning, cyber security, high-performance computing, and cloud computing. Dr. Zhao currently serves on the Editorial Board of Journal of Big Data (Springer) and Co-Chairs of several international conferences including IEEE NAS'16, ACM ScienceCloud'16, and IEEE/ACM BDC'15. He has authored and co-authored over 30 peer-reviewed publications including prestigious journals such as IEEE TPDS and IEEE PAMI as well as leading conferences such as IEEE IPDPS and ACM CCGrid. He received his Ph.D. in computer science from the Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, 2015.

--------ALL funded PhD students are required to attend 4-8 colloquiums per semester-----------------------