Saturday, Sept 5, 7:00pm in the GSU Student Center Speaker's Auditorium

Dark Matter: MACHOs vs. WIMPs, a debate of truly astronomical proportions.

Dark matter, like the popularity of Justin Bieber, is one of the biggest
mysteries of the 21st century. This unseen material makes up 27% of the
universe's matter and energy, while normal matter (like protons and electrons)
only makes up 5%. Yet despite over 70 years of study by numerous physicists
and astronomers, the nature of dark matter is still unknown. Two of the
leading scientific theories propose that dark matter is composed of a new type
of exotic particle (WIMPs: weakly interacting massive particles) or mundane
clumps of normal matter like planets and burned-out stars (MACHOs: massive
compact halo objects).

Join us for a public debate where two of our esteemed faculty, Dr. Todd Henry
and Dr. Rachel Kuzio de Naray, will face off and attempt to convince you that
one of these dark matter theories is more compelling than the other. In the
spirit of such classic rivalries as David vs. Goliath, Bilbo vs. Smaug, and
Antman vs...well, anybody bigger than an ant, we bring you MACHOs vs. WIMPs!
Who will be the victor? You decide.

More information can be found at: http://www.astro.gsu.edu/DM15/
Admission is free and open to the public.