[Research Newsletter]

December 2014

Message from the Vice President
[cid:image002.jpg@01D010A2.D9E22FD0]

It has been an exciting year for research at Georgia State University. As we prepare for the upcoming holidays, I would like to take a moment to reflect on a few of our exciting achievements. In 2014, our investigators secured record-breaking research for the third straight year. In addition, we reached goals set forth in the strategic plan and broke ground on the next phase of our Science Park.

Our game-changing research is bringing increased attention to the university as evidenced by our FY14 research portfolio that grew to $81.7 million  a 14 percent increase over last year.

Funding from federal agencies accounted for $58.4 million or 71 percent of Georgia State's research funding. This accomplishment in a time when many universities face diminished federal funding is a testament to the quality of research endeavors at Georgia State. The National Institutes of Health, the Department of Education and the National Science Foundation were our largest funding sources in FY14.

The university's continued external funding success can be attributed to the impressive accomplishments of our research faculty and staff working towards a goal set forth in the university's strategic plan to, "become a leading public research university addressing the most challenging issues of the 21st century."

In line with our strategic research goals, Georgia State made it a priority to create and implement resources that help our researchers pursue and gain more funding.

A few of the accomplishments since the strategic plan's implementation include the establishment of:

  *   A new library-based Collaborative Center (CURVE) for research and visualization
  *   Four university-level research centers
  *   A new degree-granting Institute for Biomedical Sciences
  *   A faculty fellowship program
  *   A pilot program for a new grants administration support structure.

Our accomplishments also include increased:

  *   Tech transfer and commercialization activity
  *   Investment in renovations and additional space in our biotech business incubator  CollabTech
  *   Research conducted in the sciences, health and medical areas with hires made through the Second Century Initiative (2CI).

We wrapped up this year with the Science Center Phase II groundbreaking ceremony on Dec. 1. This five-story building will provide additional space for our expanding research community. Construction crews are in place working towards the grand opening in 2016.

I look forward to 2015 and the continued success of our amazing research program at Georgia State University.

Regards,

James A. Weyhenmeyer, Ph.D.
Vice President for Research and Economic Development

[cid:image003.jpg@01D010A2.D9E22FD0]
The groundbreaking ceremony for the Science Center Phase II building on Dec. 1 was an exciting achievement. Pictured from left: Director of Facilities Design and Construction, Kim Bauer; Georgia State University President Mark Becker; and Vice President for Research and Economic Development James Weyhenmeyer.
Connect with Us
Join<http://www.linkedin.com/company/georgia-state-university-research?trk=rr_brands_carousel_logo> the Georgia State University Research LinkedIn network.

Follow<http://www.twitter.com/GSU_Research> Georgia State Research on Twitter @GSU_Research.
Let's Hear from You
We invite you to contact us any time you have questions, concerns or ideas you would like to share: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

News Briefs
Apply for a Georgia State Internal Grant Research Initiation and Scholarly Support Grants
Proposals due: Jan. 12, 2015
The call for proposals for the FY2016 Research Initiation and Scholarly Support grants' competitions is open. All tenured and tenure-track faculty are eligible to apply. The official call for proposals can be found on URSA's Internal Grant Program<http://ursa.research.gsu.edu/ursa/funding/funding-opportunities/internal-grant-program/> webpage and on the Internal Grant Program homepage in the Research Portal<http://research.gsuapps.com/>. All proposals are due by Jan. 12, 2015 and must be submitted through the Research Portal as instructed in the call for proposals.

Find Answers to Internal Grants Questions
URSA is pleased to announce recent updates to the Internal Grant Program<http://ursa.research.gsu.edu/ursa/funding/funding-opportunities/internal-grant-program/> webpage. These updates are based on recent feedback from the Georgia State research community. The updates include:

  *   In the available grants table, the "Active/Inactive" column is now the "Status/Deadline" column that notes when a grant is open and its respective deadline.
  *   A new Frequently Asked Questions<http://ursa.research.gsu.edu/ursa/funding/funding-opportunities/internal-grant-faqs/> webpage includes answers to many of the questions URSA receives about the program. If your questions are not addressed via the FAQ page, contact Kelly Stout, Ph.D.<mailto:[log in to unmask]> at 404-413-5475.
CITI Course Update Live Jan. 5
Effective Jan. 5, 2015, the CITI Program will replace its Introduction (757) module for the Social Behavioral  Basic Course (required training for individuals conducting human research in social/behavioral fields).

Learners will need to complete the full Social Behavioral  Basic Course (all 12 modules) before Jan. 5, 2015, to include the current Introduction 757 module in their credit. If they do not complete the full course before Jan. 5, 2015, the credit for any of the other 11 completed modules will remain, but they will need to complete the new Introduction module 1127 as the Introduction module 757 will no longer be in the course.

If you have completed the entire Social Behavioral  Basic Course (all 12 modules including the Introduction 757 module) before Jan. 5, 2015, and your training is current, no action is required.

Note: This training only applies to individuals conducting human research in social/behavioral fields as required by the IRB.

Get to Know the Georgia State's Limited Submissions Process
Many funding agencies offer opportunities that restrict the number of applications allowed from an institution. These opportunities are know as "limited submissions." There are several guidelines investigators need to keep in mind when submitting a limited submission proposal. For more details about how limited submissions are handled at Georgia State, please see the official procedural document on URSA's Limited Submissions webpage. If you have questions, after reviewing the document, contact Kelly Stout, Ph.D.<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Find an Updated List of OSPA Contacts
The Office of Sponsored Proposals and Awards (OSPA) has updated the Proposal and Awards Assistance<http://ursa.research.gsu.edu/ursa/funding/proposal-and-award-assistance-and-resources/> and the Awards Assistance and Resources<http://ursa.research.gsu.edu/ursa/funding/proposal-and-award-assistance-and-resources/> webpages to include the latest OSPA staff directory. The new directory displays OSPA teams as organized by sponsor type.

URSA Names GSU/CDC Seed Grant Recipients
URSA recently awarded two CDC-GSU grants for fiscal year 2015. These awards provide seed funding for social and behavioral collaborative research between CDC and Georgia State investigators:

Angela Snyder, Ph.D., Health Policy Center, and Susanna Visser, CDC
Barriers to Evidence-based Behavioral Health Services for Young Children with ADHD

Holley Wilkin, Communication,
and Candace Rutt, CDC
Individual Community Health in Low Income Neighborhoods: An Evaluation of Atlanta's Beltline Project

Kay Gilstrap Elected to NCURA Board
Correction: In the last issue, URSA noted Kay Gilstrap, Business Manager in the College of Education's Department of Educational Psychology, Special Education and Communications Disorders was elected NCURA's 2015 Region III Chair. The correct dates for her service as Region III Chair are May 2016-2017. Our apologies and continued congratulations to Ms. Gilstrap on this accomplishment.

Copyright  2014 Georgia State University, All rights reserved.