1. Congratulations to the new member of the MSA Board 2014-2015

2. Jumu'ah Schedule

The Spring Semester schedule for Jumu'ah is here! Come join us every Friday at 2PM for Jumu'ah prayer. Below is the full schedule.

COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS

1)  Omar Offendum Live in Atlanta April 17 & 18

2)  Palestine Film Festival: Emory and Oglethorpe

3)  Emory MSA Annual Crescent Star 3 v 3 Tournament

4)  Ghazali's Beginning of Guidance Workshop with Ustadha Zainab Ansari

5)  1st Annual Women in Leadership Conference "Empowering Our Women's   Growth

6) AUC MSA's #ForCoveredGirls Fashion Show +'The Souk' Open Mic & Trunk Show @ Blue Seas Restaurant

7) End of the Year Banquet

8) Ping Pong Tournament!

9) I-PAC Georgia Luncheon

10) Unmosqued: The Film | Atlanta Premiere

1.Omar Offendum Live in Atlanta April 17 & 18

GEORGIA STATE UNIVERSITY and AGNES SCOTT COLLEGE invite you to a two day extravaganza with the world famous hip-hop artist and peace activist Omar Offendum. Events will take place April 17 - 18 and will allow you numerous opportunities to meet Omar.

***ALL EVENTS ARE FREE***

--------------------------THURSDAY EVENTS------------------------

THURSDAY APRIL 17 from 7:00 - 10:00
Arab Night Concert / Syrianamericana in ATL

Local Atlanta artists and performers will start the night off showcasing their Middle Eastern talents. The night will end with a concert performance then a meet and greet with Omar Offendum.

Agnes Scott College
Presser Hall- Gaines Chapel
141 E. College Avenue
Decatur, GA 30030

A parking deck is located next to Presser Hall on South McDonough Street.

Shuttle Pickup is available at 6:00 PM for GSU Students only in front of Langdale Hal. First come, first serve. Will return around 11:00 PM.

--------------------------FRIDAY EVENTS----------------------------

FRIDAY APRIL 18 from 3:00 - 6:00
A Nation State of Mind, Spoken Word and Q&A

Georgia State University
Troy Moore Library 9th Floor
Langdale Hall

FRIDAY APRIL 18 from 6:30 - 9:00
CD SIGNING and Q&A

Ebrik Coffee House
16 Park Place,
Atlanta, GA 30303

*For More Information Contact Anita Husen at [log in to unmask]

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/485095134925436/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

2.Palestine Film Festival: Emory and Oglethorpe

PALESTINE FILM FESTIVAL
EMORY AND OGLETHORPE

University Organizations:

Emory Advocates for Justice in Palestine
Oglethorpe Students for Justice in Palestine

Atlanta Community Partners:
Jewish Voice for Peace – Atlanta Chapter
Interfaith Peace-builders - Atlanta Chapter
Georgia Peace and Justice Coalition
Joining Hands for Justice in Israel and Palestine

April 3 - Israel’s Roadmap to Apartheid - followed by Q&A.
7 pm @ EMORY - White Hall, Room 207.

April 4 - Welcome to Hebron - followed by Q&A.
7 pm @ OGLETHORPE - Lupton Auditorium.

April 5 - Voices Across the Divide -followed by Panel Discussion.
7 pm @ EMORY - White Hall, Room 207.

Panelists:
- Dr. Omar Lattouf – Professor of Surgery/Cardiothoracic, Emory University
- Rev. Dr. Fahed AbuAkel – Retired Presbyterian Minister
- Rev. Fr. George Makhlouf – St. Elias Antiochian Orthodox Church
- Aysha Abdullatif – Director, Business Development at Vitamin T

April 17 - Tears of Gaza - followed by Q&A. - Outdoor Screening
7:30 pm @ OGLETHORPE - Follow signs at Lupton Auditorium.

April 18 - Where Should the Birds Fly? - followed by Q&A.
7 pm @ EMORY - White Hall, Room 207.

April 19 - Israel’s Roadmap to Apartheid - followed by Q&A.
7 pm @ OGLETHORPE - Lupton Auditorium
.

Address:
Emory University: 201 Dowman Dr, Atlanta.
Oglethorpe University: 4484 Peachtree Rd NE, Atlanta

About the Films:
VOICES ACROSS THE DIVIDE (2013. 57 min. Director: Alice Rothchild), winner of the Audience Choice award at the 2013 Boston Palestine Film Festival, explores the Israeli/Palestinian conflict through rarely heard personal stories. Narrated by Alice Rothchild, an American Jew raised on the tragedies of the Holocaust and the dream of a Jewish homeland in Israel, the film follows her personal journey as she begins to understand the Palestinian narrative, while exploring the Palestinian experience of loss, occupation, statelessness, and immigration to the US. The documentary is both a personal journey to understand the Palestinian narrative as well as the implications and contradictions of deeply held cultural beliefs in the Jewish community. Web: VoicesAcrossTheDivide.com

WHERE SHOULD THE BIRDS FLY (2013. 58 min. Director: Fida Qishta) is the first film about Gaza made by Palestinians living the reality of Israel’s siege and blockade of this tiny enclave. It is the story of two young women, survivors of Israel’s Operation Cast Lead. Mona Samouni, now 12 years old and the filmmaker, Fida Qishta, now 27, represent the spirit and future of Palestinians. It reveals the strength and hope, the humanity and humor that flourishes among the people of Gaza. Few films document so powerfully and personally the impact of modern warfare and sanctions on a civilian population. This is the first feature-length documentary film made by a woman in Gaza. Web: WhereShouldTheBirdsFly.org

ROADMAP TO APARTHEID (2012. 95 min. Directors: Ana Nogueira and Eron Davidson) is co-directed by a South African and an Israeli who draw upon their first-hand knowledge to break down the rhetorical analogy between South African apartheid and Israel’s domination of Palestine into a fact-based comparison. There are many lessons to draw from the South African experience and this film is as much a historical document of the rise and fall of apartheid, as it is a film about why many Palestinians feel they are living in an apartheid system today, and why a rapidly-increasing number of people around the world agree with them.
Web: RoadMapToApartheid.org

TEARS OF GAZA (2010. 90 min. Director: Vibeke Løkkeberg), winner of numerous awards, is a disturbing, powerful and emotionally devastating documentary on the 2008 to 2009 bombing of Gaza by the Israeli military. Photographed by several Palestinian cameramen both during and after the offensive, this film focuses on the impact of the attacks on the civilian population. The film makes no overriding speeches or analyses and demands that we examine the costs of war on a civilian populace. Web: TearsOfGazaMovie.com

WELCOME TO HEBRON (2007. 55 min. Director: Terje Carlsson) is an intimate portrait of a teenager in Hebron and the chaos that surrounds her. Seventeen-year-old Leila Sarsour is a strong, intelligent and outspoken young woman who studies at the Al-Qurtuba [Cordoba] School, a Palestinian high school for girls in the West Bank city of Hebron (Al-Khalil in Arabic). The school is surrounded by Israeli military installations and settlements populated by right-wing Jewish religious fundamentalists. The film depicts everyday life for Palestinians attempting to lead normal lives in this volatile city surrounded by checkpoints and barbed wired. Web: WelcomeToHebronMovie.com

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/496675327121378/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

3. Emory MSA Annual Crescent Star 3 v 3 Tournament

Salaams! This Friday, join us in the WoodPEC for our annual tournament. Teams can sign up at the google doc below:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NKuztZBkMJ5PcgWc3LdvOF627HirY0invfgTmP5goOw/edit

When: Friday April, 18th 2014

Where: Emory Woodruff Gym

Time: 3:00-6:30pm

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/232573150265964/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

4. Ghazali's Beginning of Guidance Workshop with Ustadha Zainab Ansari

Class: Madina Institute Workshop: Imam Ghazali's Beginning of Guidance
When: Saturday & Sunday, April 19th & 20th from 10am - 2pm

Where: Madina Institute Masjid @ 3580 Sweetwater Rd, Duluth, GA 30096
Instructor: Ustadha Zaynab Ansari

Course Blurb: Seeking knowledge is a responsibility of every mukallaf individual. Allah Most High says, 'Say: Are those equal, those who know and those who do not know?" The Prophet, Allah bless him and give him peace, said, "Whomever Allah wishes well for, He gives him understanding of the religion."

The ocean of sacred knowledge is vast and deep. However, before one attempts to navigate these life-sustaining waters, one must possess the necessary tools. The Beginning of Guidance, written by Imam Abu Hamid al-Ghazali, is that compass. Intended as a manual for students of knowledge just setting out on their journey, The Beginning of Guidance contains key lessons, exhortations, and points of etiquette, or adab, for those seeking to fulfill the duty of every Muslim.

Although the emphasis of this work is to begin at the beginning, this text has something for all seekers, no matter their level. Over a two-day period, Zaynab Ansari will conduct a workshop based on this enduring classic, covering the three sections of obedience, avoiding disobedience, and the manners of being with Allah Ta'ala and people.

Instructor Bio: Zaynab Ansari Abdul-Razacq is a native Southerner with Northern roots. She spent several years studying the core Islamic sciences, including Arabic, jurisprudence, Qur’anic recitation & commentary, Hadith, and Prophetic biography in Damascus, Syria at Abu Nour Masjid’s college preparatory program. Upon her return to the United States, she continued her Islamic studies privately with Shaykh Khalil Abdur-Rashid, Imam of New York’s Iqra Masjid, Shaykh Faraz Rabbani, educational director of SeekersGuidance, Shaykh Jamal Ud-Deen Hysaw, and Dr. Fareeha Khan, Assistant Professor of Religion & Anthropology at Willamette University.