Asalaamualaikum MSA-ers,

On behalf of MSA here at GSU, I would like to welcome everyone back to school for the spring semester! Insha’Allah, I hope everyone had a chance to enjoy the holiday season with loved ones. This season marks the last semester for the current MSA administration. Before we end the academic year however, we have many exciting events and programs planned for you all in the upcoming months! We hope that you will take the time out of your busy lives and join us as we host these events. Our goal as the MSA at GSU is to meet the needs and concerns of our community. Please reach out to me or any of my board members with any suggestions, questions, or concerns that you may have regarding the MSA.

I hope everyone has an incredible semester. May this one be your best yet, Insha ’Allah. Please keep your MSA brothers and sisters in your duas as we start a new year!

Regards,

Hira Mashkoor

President

1. Jumu’ah Schedule

The Spring Semester schedule for Jumu’ah is here! Come join us every Friday at 2PM for Jumu’ah prayer. Below is the full schedule.

 Inline image 1

2. Weekly Halaqahs

Welcome back to GSU everybody! We hope your Spring Semester is going well Alhamdullilah, and that it shall be successful insha'Allah. That being said, our Halaqahs will be starting back up again Tuesday, February 4th from 12 -1 PM. It will be taking place every Tuesday this semester in the interfaith room University Center 402 so try and be there!!!

 Inline image 2

3. Da’wah Table

Come Learn about Islam. Free Qur’ans and informational brochures. At the library plaza every Monday and Thursday from 12-1 PM.

Hold a door; lend a hand, Say Good Morning. Smile! –dawahtip

 Inline image 3

4) Welcome Back Dinner

Introducing a collaborative event between the Muslim Students Association at Georgia State University & the Georgia Tech Muslim Students Association, we welcome you all to our Welcome Back Dinner!!!

This semester we will be featuring the Palestine Children's Relief Fund under the theme of Zakah: the Power of Giving. This event will take place at Georgia State University's Student Center Ballroom on Monday, February 10th from 6 PM to 9 PM.

This event will have a $5 entry for dinner to this one-time event or pay $10 for access to this event and all future GSU MSA events this semester. A portion of the proceeds from this event will be going to the PCRF organization but additional contributions will be encouraged and welcomed.

Visit PCRF - Palestine Children's Relief Fund for more information on what they're all about and be sure to join MSA @ GSU and GT MSA's Facebook Groups to receive more information on future events. Also be sure to follow or subscribe to all of their other social media outlets like Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and Google+!

 Inline image 4

Facebook Linkhttps://www.facebook.com/events/216564378548054/

COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS

1)     Monthly Meet-Up: Giving Back to Humanity Donations

2)     AMYP Giving Back to Humanity Volunteers

3)     MSA at GT Islamic Awareness Month!

4)     Expanding the Boundaries of Islamic Education: Knowledge as Problem Solving in Modern Muslim Society

5)     MIST ATLANTA 2014

 1)  Monthly Meet-Up: Giving Back to Humanity Donations

Atlanta Muslim Young Professionals
' Community Outreach & Social Committees are partnering to make 2014 MMUs the best ones yet! We will be collecting donations for Giving Back to Humanity at the February MMU for the Giving Back to Humanity Volunteer Event. Please bring warm clothes, blankets, sweaters, etc and we will take them to GbtH on Feb 9th.

When: February 6th, 2013 (1st Thursday of the month) @ 7:00pm
Where: Samad Mediterranean Grill & Market (Zabihah & Muslim Owned)
8898 Roswell Rd, Sandy Springs GA 30350
Located in the North River Shopping Center
Online at http://www.samadgrill.com/

Y’all bring your A-game, empty stomachs, and competitive spirit every first Thursday of the month at 7:00pm. We've got taboo, poker, uno, catchphrase, headbands, and more games to connect with other AMYP members with fun.

The meeting is free, and you are only responsible for what you eat. Please feel free to forward the invitation to friends and bring them. We look forward to seeing you!

 Inline image 5

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/309766995827117/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

2)    AMYP Giving Back to Humanity Volunteers

Sunday Feb. 9th 10am-2pm

Salaam AMYP! We are excited to kick off out first Community Outreach Committee event of 2014 while supporting an awesome Organization -Giving Back to Humanity. Giving Back to Humanity seeks to improve the standard of living and promote self - sufficiency for the less fortunate by providing food, clothing, shelter, educational programs, job training, family planning, and counseling services. By providing these services, we will give confidence, encouragement, and support to those who need it most.

We are looking for at least 15 volunteers to come support this great cause! The event will start at 10am and we will have a quick AMYP meeting and learn about the cause and discuss what we want to get out volunteering with COC this year!

We will help set up and sort clothes, then help with Food Distribution, and clean up! We should wrap up around 2pm.  We really look forward to seeing you there and letting the community know how much AMYP cares!

Inline image 6

Facebook Link:https://www.facebook.com/events/200414536817907/?notif_t=plan_user_invited

If you are planning on going -- please sign up here: http://goo.gl/ddblwB

 3) MSA at GT Islamic Awareness Month!

Salaam everyone! We're so excited to announce what we have planned for Islamic Awareness Month 2014. Check out the events below

Thursday Feb. 20th:
-Islamic Culture Fest- 11am-2pm on the Campanile -- A display of religious and cultural exhibits from various Islamic countries to show the diversity of Muslims! Food, music, art, etc will be included. If you'd like to volunteer or represent your country, please contact
Sharlene Khan!
https://www.facebook.com/events/204852996375446/?ref=2&ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

New Muslim Cool Movie Screening-

 6:45-9 pm Student Center Theater -- There will be chips and salsa and drinks provided! About the movie: Puerto Rican American rapper Hamza Pérez ended his life as a drug dealer 12 years ago, and started down a new path as a young Muslim. Now he's moved to Pittsburgh's tough North Side to start a new religious community, rebuild his shattered family, and take his message of faith to other young people through his uncompromising music as part of the hip-hop duo M-Team. But when the FBI raids his mosque, Hamza must confront the realities of the post-9/11 world, and challenge himself. He starts reaching for a deeper understanding of his faith, discovering new connections with people from Christian and Jewish communities.

Monday Feb. 24th and Wednesday Feb. 26th:
-Unveiling the Veil- Student Center room 319 (monday) 5-6:30pm, Student Center room 343 (wednesday) 5-6 pm -- The purpose of the event is to educate and provide a better understanding about what the hjiab (headscarf) is. Monday's event introduces the hijab and what it stands for and we'll show the many different cool ways you can wear it. For the girls who feel comfortable enough, we ask that they wear it for the next two days, until the Wednesday meeting, to experience what it's like to wear the hijab in a non-Muslim setting. Wednesday when we meet again, everyone will get a chance to discuss how they felt wearing it, how they were perceived, the difficulty or lack of it they may have faced, etc. Snacks will be provided.

Thursday Feb. 27th:
-Islamic History Seminar- Student Center Room 320 3-4:30 pm --How much do you really know about Islam's past? About how it spread throughout many different countries? About the institutional and spiritual formations of Muslims, political structures, literary and
artistic creations of Islamic civilization, war and conquest, travel and trade? Take a journey to the past and come learn from our very own GT professor Dr. Bier! Snacks will be provided.
https://www.facebook.com/events/278839728936036/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

Wednesday March 5th:
-Fast-A-Thon- Student Center Ballroom 6:30-9:30 pm -- Come join us for a banquet dinner with friends of various faiths as we get together to experience fasting and help raise money for charity! For each person that fasts, local restaurants and businesses will donate $1 towards a specific cause. We will also have a wonderful guest speaker who will be joining us! More details on the speaker and the charity to which the money is going to coming soon.

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/1377719159160931/?notif_t=plan_user_invited

4) Expanding the Boundaries of Islamic Education: Knowledge as Problem Solving in Modern Muslim Society

Madina Institute U.S.A is very excited to launch a new bi-weekly class starting next Wednesday, 1/29, titled "Knowledge is the Believer's Camel: Social Issues in Modern Muslim Society." The class will be taught by our very own Dr. Abbas Barzegar, Islamic Studies Professor at Georgia State University and will start after Evening (Isha) prayer at Madina Institute at 7:30pm @ 4991 Burns Rd, Lilburn, GA 30650.*

Course Summary:

Muslim scholars and intellectuals in modern society have experimented with a range of strategies, both practical and theoretical, to address the needs and issues of their communities and those around them. Topics of relevance for this course include defining an Islamic economics, thinking critically about Islamic family values and ethics, addressing domestic violence, alleviating poverty, and developing relevant Islamic education. This course is designed as a survey practicum where, in collaboration, the instructor and students will review relevant literature, conduct expert interviews, and produce a resource database on the issues reviewed in class. Students are asked to attend regularly, complete the assigned reading, and participate in data collection.

This is the first class of six total of the new course, titled "Expanding the boundaries of Islamic Education: Knowledge as problem solving in Modern Muslim society."

Madina Institute courses taught by Dr. Abbas Barzegar are unique because he mirrors his academic course structure and approach in the mosque setting. Those from a Western academic background will find that this course is more comparable to a college class as oppose to a traditionally taught course at our Masajid.

This course is FREE and registration is not required, however we do ask that everyone attends all 6 classes, completes assigned readings and participates actively!

About Dr. Abbas Barzegar:

Dr. Barzegar graduated from Emory with his PhD in Religious Studies in 2010 and has been an Assistant Professor at Georgia State since. He is a Fellow at the Institute for Social Policy & Understanding and has co-authored the book, Islamism: Contested Perspectives on Political Islam. Dr. Barzegar also serves on the Advisory Committee of the Atlanta Muslim Young Professionals (AMYP) and is a Founder of the After Malcolm Project. He has appeared on Fox News (specifically Hannity) and other networks.

Inline image 8

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/735269306490870/?source=1

5)  MIST ATLANTA 2014

MIST Atlanta 2014 will be on March 7-9, 2014, and held at, Agnes Scott College in Decatur, GA

REGISTRATION HAS ALREADY STARTED, so get your teams together! The registration deadline is February 7, 2014.

Inline image 7

Registration Link: https://web.adderpit.com/MIST

More Information: http://www.getmistified.com/atlanta

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/1375680329240088/?notif_t=plan_user_

Visit us at: www.gsumsa.com
Email us at: [log in to unmask]
Add us on Google Plus+http://goo.gl/fH1LJ
Follow us on Instagram:
 http://instagram.com/msaatgsu
Follow us on Twitter
 https://twitter.com/GSU_MSA (@GSU_MSA)
Subscribe to us on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/MSAatGSU
Join our group on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/gsumsa/
Register with the MSA on OrgSynchttps://orgsync.com/join/26490/muslim-student-association
**Only registered members receive the code to the prayer room located at University Center room 409.**