Inline image 1

Assalamu Alaikum MSA-ers!

We hope that all is well with you and that classes are going well! Tomorrow we have our Children of Abraham event. Take a study break and come join us at this wonderful gathering! Also, check out our very first YouTube video of this year! May Allah reward you all immensely for your ongoing efforts.

I) Children of Abraham - Faith in College

Folks, it’s that time of the year again! MSA is pairing up with other religious organizations on campus to bring you yet another Children of Abraham event!

College is not only a time to learn and grow, but it is also a chance to discover new things about one’s faith. It is a place to develop relationships and experience new things in light of one’s religious views and values. This event is a chance to discuss all the ways students maintain and strengthen their faiths in light of different college experiences. Whether those religious values help shape one’s approach to relationships or outlook on life, those values can always transform in light of new experiences.

So please come join MSA, InterVarsity, BCM, CSA, and Hillel, TOMORROW,  for an afternoon of rich discussion with some amazing food!

When: Wednesday, October 2nd, from 12:00-2:30 PM

Where: University Center Room 460/465

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/1395054580723955/?notif_t=group_mall_plan

Inline image 2

II) Eid Extravaganza: Arabian Nights

Come one, come all to the Muslim Students Association's Eid Extravaganza! The theme will be Arabian Nights this year and it will be a new and exciting event to be at! We will be hosting the event in Georgia State University's very own Student Center Ballroom on Tuesday, October 22nd, from 6:00 PM until 9:00 PM

We will be featuring fantastic speakers, creative henna artists, skillful calligraphy artists, and of course a spectacular, tasty dinner celebrating another wonderful Eid!

There will be a $10 entry fee at the door for those that have NOT paid yet this semester that will constitute as your Fall 2013 dues as a member with the MSA @ GSU. With your dues you will help contribute to our semesterly Prayer Room costs (located in the University Center in Room 409) and you will receive:

- Free entry to all events for the rest of the semester
- A uniquely designed MSA at GSU T-shirt

Anyone interested in volunteering, please email us at

PARKING INFORMATION:

Students and guests should be able to park at M Deck (33 Auditorium Place) or T Deck (43 Auburn Avenue).

• $7.00 for visitors or students without a parking permit or budget card
• $4.50 per entry with a valid GSU student parking permit
• $3.50 per entry with a valid GSU student Parking Budget Card
• $2.25 per entry after 4 PM in all decks and lots with a valid GSU student parking permit

Also, parking on the street is free after 7pm on weekdays.

We would also like to express a very fantastic Eid to you all and would like to say Eid Mubarak!

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/169664449901876/?ref=2&ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

Inline image 3

III) YouTube Video

Please check out our first YouTube video of the semester, The Welcome Back Dinner!

And if you haven’t already done so, please subscribe to the MSA @ GSU YouTube channel!

Link to Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVggPIzrqlg

COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS

1) AMYP Monthly Meet-Up: BOOKS FOR AFRICA

2) Georgia MSA Council Fall 2013 Picnic

3) Sirat-e-Rasool SAW Conference

4) Fawakih Institute: Year-Round Quranic Arabic

5) "DINNER WITH A BOSS" Round 2

6) AMYP's Books for Africa Volunteer Day

7) Muslim Day at Grant Park

8) Shadows in the Sun: The Living Legacy of the Sahabas

1) Monthly Meet-Up: BOOKS FOR AFRICA

Monthly Meet Ups (MMU) at Murray's in a Hurry are AMYP's ultimate social. Come out for a night of good socializing and networking, and competitive games! The meeting is free, and you are only responsible for what you eat. In addition, come learn about our upcoming community outreach event, Books for Africa! Please feel free to forward the invitation to friends and bring them. We look forward to seeing you!

When: October 3rd, 2013 (Thursday) @ 7:00pm
Where: Murry’s in Hurry (Zabihah & Muslim Owned)
                880 Indian Trail Rd, Lilburn, GA 30047

As always, the AMYP social committee is open to suggestions for locales for future monthly meet ups. Email us at [log in to unmask]!

Please visit
 http://www.atlmyp.org/ for more information.

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/309766995827117/?ref=2

Inline image 4

2) Georgia MSA Council Fall 2013 Picnic

The Georgia MSA Council invites all Muslim students in the state of Georgia to our annual fall picnic!
Take this opportunity to meet & socialize with your fellow MSA members with free food and a sports tournament!

The event is pot-luck , please sign-up here if you are bringing something:
https://docs.google.com/a/gamsacouncil.com/forms/d/18UEUZ2EkIKu0CrU5-eUmgQ3alDzt3QHSFwau0-38V-s/viewform

Parking info:
 HTTP://WWW.CENTENNIALPARK.COM/INDEX.PHP/PLAN-YOUR-VISIT/HOURS-DIRECTIONS/PARKING

Participating MSA's:

AGNES SCOTT, AUC, EMORY, GSU, GA TECH, GPC, KSU, MERCER, UGA, OGLETHORPE, OXFORD, & MORE!

Activities: Tug- Of –War, Flag-football, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee, Council Henna Fundraiser

Where: Centennial Olympic Park

                265 Park Ave West NW, Atlanta, GA 30313

When: Saturday, October 5th, at 3:00 PM

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/124246064412542/?ref=2&ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

Inline image 5

3) Sirat-e-Rasool SAW Conference

Minhaj-ul-Qur'an Atlanta invites you to a once in a life time event with two of the top Shayukh of our time, Shaykh-ul-Islam Dr. Muhammad Tahir-ul-Qadri and Shaykh Muhammad Yahya an-Ninowy. Joining them will be world renowned Nasheed artist, Milad Raza Qadri.

Don't miss out on this blessed opportunity to benefit from these renowned scholars!

This is a free families event. Babysitting will be provided at cost. Special discount on hotel rooms for conference guests!

When: Saturday, October 5th, at 4:30 PM

Where: Gwinnett Center

    6400 Sugarloaf Pkwy, Duluth, GA 30097

For event and hotel information contact:

404-285-0642
404-933-3303
404-797-0361
404-680-5602
404-680-2323

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/497450073675211/?ref=2

Inline image 6

4) Fawakih Institute: Year-Round Quranic Arabic

The Quranic Arabic curriculum at Fawakih caters to students of all levels. Those who are familiar with reading the Arabic script at the Introductory Level 1 with little background, if any, in grammar or reading comprehension of the Qur’an and who may not be able to produce Arabic in writing or in speech; who are able to read straightforward texts at the Intermediate Level 2 with the regular use of a dictionary, can identify grammatical parts of speech; who are proficient at reading challenging texts at the Advanced Level 3; and who are proficient at reading nuanced texts at the Advanced Level 4; and those who can begin to analyze tafsir and classical Arabic texts at Advanced Levels 5 and 6. The Program is structured around the required textbooks and employs a skills- based approach to language acquisition. In addition, the course will emphasize parsing and morphology in theory and in practice and translation as a primary method to ensure comprehension at every stage. Through mastery of Arabic grammar, morphology, reading, and vocabulary, the course facilitates language acquisition through both active and passive engagement.

FAST FACTS:
Beginner Quranic Arabic (levels 1 and 2) will meet every Thursday starting October 10th, and ending on April 24th, 2014 at Georgia Tech. (All new students will take Fawakih's online diagnostic test to gauge their Quranic Arabic background)

Intermediate Quranic Arabic (level 3) will meet every Tuesday starting October 8th, and ending on April 22nd, 2014 at Medinah Institute.

All major holiday and school related breaks are off (Thanksgiving, Winter Break, and Semester Break off)

Integrated online classroom support (testing, exercise answer keys, tutorial videos)

Exact course location will be announced once minimum number of students enroll

The tuition payment includes $150 for books and course materials. Students will also receive login information regarding our online testing system. This system is used to provide students with feedback and allows them to monitor their progress throughout the year.

Tuition Refund Policy
*No refunds after payment
*Fawakih's policy does not allow attendence of the course without prior registration

Atlanta Quranic Arabic Instructors

Residential:
Level 1- Ustadha Aliya Naim, B.A. in International Affairs and Arabic Language from University of Georgia
Level 2- Ustadh Kassim Zaid, Fawakih Instructor
Level 2- Ustadh Sami Ahmed, graduate of Qasid Arabic program
Level 3- Ustadh Muhammad Mendes, Fawakih Resident Arabic and Tafsir Instructor

Visiting (tentative):
Ustadh Fahim Qazi, author of "Quranic Linguistics" textbook series
Ustadh Hisham Mahmoud, lecturer of Arabic at Harvard University
Ustadh Omer Kamal, lecturer at Masjid al-Farooq
Ustadh Saif Omar, Executive Director Fawakih
Ustadh Ismail ibn Ali, Deputy Executive Director Fawakih

Further information about each instructor can be found on the Fawakih website:
www.fawakih.com

Schedule:
A) Tuesday (Intermediate) or Thursday (Beginner) (25 sessions)
     Classical Text Reading 7:00– 7:50pm

     Morphology 8:00– 8:50pm

     Grammar 9:00 – 9:50pm

B) Arabic Intensive Schedule on select weekends (1 weekend per semester)
     Morning Session 10:00am – 12:30pm

     Afternoon Session 2:00pm – 4:30pm

Email:
[log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask] with questions, syllabus will be posted online prior to course start.

SEATING IS LIMITED! REGISTER HERE NOW: http://atlantaarabic.eventbrite.com/
DEADLINE TO REGISTER: Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/337575663055696/?ref=2&ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

Inline image 7

5) "DINNER WITH A BOSS" Round 2

You've just received invitation to have dinner with the boss. Do you have what it takes to grow your network?

Dinner with a Boss will not only give you an opportunity to sharpen your networking skills, but will expose you to top industry leaders. Find out what it takes to become the next boss from the Boss.

This month's Boss's include Henna Inam, Dr. Aziz Arif, and a previous AMYP hit Ehab Jaleel. Let us know who you'd like to spend the most time with and we'll do our best to match you. You will have some time with each boss so nothing to worry about.

Get ready for a fun night of laid back professional socializing. Your Maghrib salah will be accommodated, we will have games along with conversations that will ignite some sparks for your personal growth in your own career, and delicious food at the one and only Aja restaurant located in the heart of Atlanta's Buckhead area.

When: Saturday, October 12, from 7:00-10:00 PM

Where: Aja Restaurant

                3500 Lenox Rd, Atlanta, GA 30326

Ticket Information:

ONLY 35 seats available: (1st come 1st serve)

· Members @ $40.00

· Non-members @ $50.00

· Membership & Dinner @ $65.00

http://www.atlmyp.org/dwab2/

Dinner is included in the ticket cost. Seafood and vegetarian entrees will be available alongside a non-Zabiha menu.

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/155130871360421/?ref=2

Inline image 8

6) AMYP's Books for Africa Volunteer Day

Join AMYP's Community Outreach Committee on Saturday, October 19th, as we help sort and package books to send to students in need all throughout Africa! We will be meeting at the Books for Africa Warehouse at 10:30 AM EST for a quick volunteer meeting before we get to work at 11:00AM EST. Come out and support a great cause while having fun and showing the community how much AMYP cares! If you're unable to attend, but would still like to contribute, we will be collecting books for donation at the October Monthly Meet-up.

When: Saturday, October 19th at 10:30 AM

Where: Books for Africa Warehouse
                 2971 Olympic Industrial Drive SE, Suite C, Smyrna, GA 30080

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/715864558430847/

7) Muslim Day at Grant Park

Join us for the annual Muslim Day at Grant Park. Bring the whole family for Islamic Food, Fun, and a city wide community of Muslims. This Annual event lends itself to a good time for the whole family. Enjoy music, vendors, games and more!

When: October 19th at 10:00 AM - October 20th at 6:00 PM

Where: Grant Park

                840 Cherokee Ave SE, Atlanta, GA 30315

Be there early to get a good spot.

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/503071713118015/?ref=2

8) Shadows in the Sun: The Living Legacy of the Sahabas

Their names are known

But their contributions are unknown.

To the left, right, in front and back, wherever he (salla Allahu alayhi wassalam) looked, she was there.

He was beaten to a pulp for reciting the Quran aloud for the first time. But he came back and did it again the next day anyway.

These were men and women who surrounded the Prophet (salla Allahu alayhi wassalam). We hear their names frequently, but how much do we really know about their contributions to Islam, to us?

Have you considered that today you are able to carry the Book of Allah because one man long ago sacrificed many sleepless nights to scrutinize every verse written on whatever animal hide, piece of wood, or stone that the companions could muster? Or have you considered that today you comprehend the words of Allah (swt) because one boy long ago was made a prodigy, a genius, committed to the perpetual study of the Quran and its depth of wisdom?

In a specially prepared seminar, Dr. Abdullah Hakim Quick gathers the remarkable contributions of the men and women around the Prophet (salla Allahu alayhi wassalam) to transform your kinship with the best generation to ever walk the earth.

Register for Shadows in the Sun: The Living Legacy of the Sahabas at http://almaghrib.org/

Free Friday 10/25/13 from 7:00-10:00 PM

Saturday 10/26/13 from 10:00 AM-7:00 PM

Sunday 10/27/13 from 10:00 AM-7:00 PM

Where: Georgia Tech

                 255 North Ave NW, Atlanta, GA 30332

When: Friday, October 25th – Sunday, October 27th

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/544526495602047/?ref=2

 Inline image 9

--
Visit us at: www.gsumsa.com