Inline image 1

Assalamu Alaikum MSA-ers!

I) Letter from the President

Assalaam-u-Alaikum Everyone,

On behalf of the Muslim Students' Association here at Georgia State University, I would like to welcome new students to GSU and say welcome back to our old members to a new year!

I hope you all are looking forward to a start of an exciting and successful term. I am very excited to be working with my board to ensure that the MSA at GSU caters to the need of its members. My board and I have been working hard all summer in preparation for the upcoming semester and we hope that you all will join us in our many events and programs this year. As you all prepare for a new year, we hope that you all will continue to support the MSA at GSU and keep us in your prayers, inshAllah.

We hope to see you soon!

Regards,

Hira Mashkoor

II) Welcome [Back] Dinner

To our new members, Welcome! And to our returning members, Welcome back to our annual MSA at GSU's Welcome [Back] Dinner! This year's dinner will be hosted by the new MSA at GSU board featuring guest speaker Dr. Mansour Ansari and MSA adviser Anita Husen!

The event will take place in the Student Center Ballroom on Tuesday, September 3rd from 6-9 PM. There will be a $10 entry fee at the door that will constitute as your Fall 2013 semester dues as a member with the MSA at GSU. With your dues you will help contribute to our semesterly Prayer Room costs (located in the University Center in Room 409) and you will receive:

- Free entry to all events for the rest of the semester

- A uniquely designed MSA at GSU T-shirt

Anyone interested in volunteering, please email us at [log in to unmask]

PARKING INFORMATION:

Students and guests should be able to park at M Deck (33 Auditorium Place) or T Deck (43 Auburn Avenue).

• $7.00 for visitors or students without a parking permit or budget card

• $4.50 per entry with a valid GSU student parking permit

• $3.50 per entry with a valid GSU student Parking Budget Card

• $2.25 per entry after 4 PM in all decks and lots with a valid GSU student parking permit

Also, parking on the street is free after 7pm on weekdays.

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/685938414752952/

 Inline image 2

III) Dawah Table

Come visit us at our MSA Dawah table! This outreach table has great informational brochures, flyers of upcoming events and free Qur'ans for you to use and give to your friends and family! Stop by with any questions you may have about Islam and come learn on your way to class!

 Inline image 3

IV) Halaqah

Come one, come all! Please join us at our Monday Mixed Halaqahs led by none other than Hafiz Yahya Saeed! They will be held every week from 1:30 PM - 2:30 PM in the University Center in room 402. The first Halaqah will be on September 9th, Insha’Allah. Plan your schedules accordingly and come on out!

 Inline image 4

V) Jumuah Schedule

The Fall Semester Jumuah schedule is here! Come join us every Friday at 2 PM for Jumuah Prayer! Below is the full schedule:

Inline image 5

COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS

I) Welcome Back BBQ and Eid Picnic

II) AMYP Monthly Meet-Up

III) AMYP & MSA Career Development Workshop

IV) Mentorship Atlanta Meeting

I) Welcome Back BBQ and Eid Picnic

Join the Muslim Student Association, the Arab Cultural Association, and The Abraham Alliance at UGA as we welcome you back to school and celebrate the end of Ramadan with an Eid Picnic and BBQ.

We will be serving burgers and lots of yummy food so come prepared to eat some great food and meet lots of new people. Feel free to bring soccer balls, footballs, basketballs and Frisbee!

We will see you there, Insha’Allah!

Where: Myers Hall

   1055 S. Lumpkin St., Athens, Georgia 30609

When: Tuesday, August 27th from 6:00-9:30 PM

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/597847386903367/?ref=2

Inline image 6

II) AMYP Monthly Meet-Up

Greetings AMYP-ers! It’s time for our next monthly meet-up!

When: September 5th, 2013 (Thursday) @ 7:00pm
Where: Murry’s in Hurry (Zabihah & Muslim Owned)
                 880 Indian Trail Rd, Lilburn, GA 30047

http://www.yelp.com/biz/murrays-in-a-hurry-lilburn-2

This will be our go-to location for the next few Monthly Meet-Ups! We'll have games where no topic is Taboo; where you can be witty with your Catch Phrase; or whatever the night’s games may bring – so be ready.

Y’all bring your A-game, empty stomachs, and competitive spirit every first Thursday of the month at 7:00pm. The meeting is free, and you are only responsible for what you eat. Please feel free to forward the invitation to friends and bring them. We look forward to seeing you!

As always, the AMYP social committee is open to suggestions for locales for future monthly meet ups. Email us at

Please visit
 http://www.atlmyp.org/ for more information.

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/309766995827117/?ref=2

Inline image 7

III) AMYP & MSA Career Development Workshop

Join AMYP's MSA Committee as we host a day-long workshop for college students in the Atlanta area. This informative event will focus on some of the most important issues facing college graduates as they enter the job market.

There will be a panel featuring professionals from different fields including: business, engineering, healthcare, and education.

Our professionals will be helping you with resume critiques, mock interviews, and networking techniques to help you prepare for a professional career.

Where: Georgia Tech Student Center

                 350 Ferst Drive, N.W., Atlanta, Georgia 30332

When: Saturday, September 7th from 1:30-6:00 PM

How is this any different from my college's career workshops?
-This event will give you a Muslim perspective on how to deal with working in a professional environment.

Should I bring anything with me?
-Yes, please bring your most updated resume.

Will there be a dress code?
-Yes, we request that all attendees wear business casual attire.

Do I have to pay to attend?
-Costs vary based on when you register for the event:
If you register before August 17th, registration is FREE.
August 18th-August 31st, registration is $5.
September 1st-September 7th, registration is $10.

Please make sure to register here:
http://tinyurl.com/AMYPMSA

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/312263652253483/?ref=2

 Inline image 8

IV) Mentorship Atlanta Meeting

In collaboration with "Open Atlanta”, Mentorship Atlanta invites you to this great event hosted by Open Atlanta.  This is a great Opportunity for our group to network with other community groups and meet distinguished community leaders. We will have a break out session of mentees and mentors as part of this event.

The cost for this session will be $35 including lunch and annual membership to Open Atlanta. Mentorship Atlanta will subsidize the cost for our mentees and you will only pay $10 if you are a participating mentee.  The first 5 mentees to sign up will receive a free pass to the session.

When: Saturday September 28th from 10:00am-3:45pm

Where: 55 Glenlake Parkway, Atlanta, GA

Registration process: for mentees, please go to our site: www.mentorshipatlanta.com and hit the donate button to make payment.

You would need to let us know via email if you are interested in attending and if you are planning to join in order to receive the free tickets or receive the discount from Mentorship Atlanta.

For Mentors, please register directly at "Open Atlanta" web site: www.openatlanta.org . Go under events and push pay now.

If you have any question regarding registration please let us know via email.

--
Visit us at: www.gsumsa.com
Email us at: [log in to unmask]