[image: Inline image 1]

*Semi Monthly Hadith*

“Abu Huraira reported Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying:
The strong-man is not one who wrestles well but the strong man is one who
controls himself when he is in a fit of rage.” [Sahih Muslim Book 032, 6313]

*Assalam-u-Alaikum Georgia State MSA-ers,*

As we approach the end of semester, we want to take some time out to thank
Allah (swt) for all the blessings he has bestowed upon us. We want to
inform everyone about all of our upcoming events, news, and changes
regarding the MSA at GSU! We wish you a happy and successful semester and
ask Allah (swt) to help us all become the best that we possibly can be.

 *I.* *MSA Elections: Nominations and Voting *

**

 [image: Inline image 2]

On behalf of the GSU MSA, we would like to announce the beginning of the
MSA elections period for the 2013-2014 academic year!

Nominations will run from *April 1, 2013 to April 15, 2013*. The
nominated person
will be contacted to accept or reject the nomination within 5 days of
the nomination.

*Voting will run April 16, 2012 to April 30, 2012.* Any evidence of
campaigning once a nominee has accepted a nomination will render
your nomination void. Winners will be announced through the mailing list in
May 2013.

Rules have been set to ensure that MSA elections run smoothly and fairly.
Any questions or concerns regarding the elections process should be
addressed to us at [log in to unmask] This is your opportunity to
become involved with the MSA so *GET INVOLVED*!!!!

*The current Executive Board, as a whole, will determine the next Treasurer
and President (according to Article V of the MSA Constitution).*

 **You may only submit one nomination form.**

*Nomination form:
*here<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1K3owjQthMQ6K2qDLMYyOsIKcUlRv-XBuF4OecRRIB18/viewform>

*II.* *Islamic Cultural Experience*

This is a co-sponsored event with GSU's Intercultural Relations

Come out and enjoy an afternoon with the MSA and Intercultural Relations as
we explore the rich history of Islam and appreciate and get a better
understanding of the different cultures in the Middle East! The event will
take place on *Thursday 4/11/13 from 12:30 PM - 2:30 PM* with free food,
calligraphy, and henna!

The MSA is currently *seeking out volunteers* for this event as well as
calligraphy artists!!! You must be a valid U.S. Citizen and you will be
compensated for your time and efforts! Please email us immediately at

*
COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS
*

1. MIST at GSU

2. Fiqh of Chillin’: Entertainment & Recreation in Islam

3. AMYP Monthly Meet-up

4. Scarves in Solidarity Day at UGA

5. Conversation with South African Ambassador Ebrahim Rasool

6. House of Dawah Fundraiser

7. 13th Annual Muslims Youth Leaders Forum's Retreat

8. Hookah Survey of GSU Sudents

9. Webcasts: THE RISE & CALL OF MUHAMMAD, Prophetic Patience in Mecca:
Resolve without Revenge

*1. MIST Atlanta Regionals 2013 at GSU*

Dates & Location
*Tentative Start Time: 1:00 pm on Friday, April 12, 2013*
*
Tentative End Time: 6:00 pm on Sunday, April 14, 2013
*

*
Location: Georgia State University
*

 Registration Now Open! Be sure to spread the word :)

Registration Deadline: 11:59pm on March 22, 2013

Fees
$65 competitors, $55 guests, coaches free
Registration Deadline: 11:59pm on March 22, 2013
Final Competitors Registration Deadline (with $10 late fee): 11:59pm on
March 29, 2013

Team Ambassadors, please register your team here:
http://www.getmistified.com/atlanta/registration/registration/

For competitors/coaches, please click here to visit the online registration
application:https://www.adderpit.com/MIST

To request financial assistance, please submit a scholarship application:
 http://www.getmistified.com/atlanta/registration/scholarships/

To register as a guest, please click here:
http://www.getmistified.com/atlanta/guest-registration/

To register as a volunteer, please click here:
http://www.getmistified.com/atlanta/volunteer-sign-up/

To judge any competitions, apply here:
http://www.getmistified.com/atlanta/judging-application/

Your donations help MIST to accomodate more competitors every year. To
donate, please check our donor packages:
http://www.getmistified.com/atlanta/donors/

Competitions
The theme for this year is "The Patience of Champions: Rising to a Better
Self." To learn more about the theme, click here:
http://www.getmistified.com/theme/

Rule Book Now Available!
To download your copy, please click here:
http://www.getmistified.com/2013-competition-rule-book/

Students not competing in Basketball may plan to arrive by (tentatively)
7am on Saturday.

All competition submissions must be turned in by the early submission
deadlines or during orientations on Friday afternoon of MIST weekend.
Please allow time for internet connectivity and/or printer issues as we
will not be accepting any late submissions.

Hotel
We are currently working on securing a discounted rate at a hotel near the
main venue of MIST. You can plan to pay around $99/night+tax for a 4-person
room.

 On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/262394420560876/?ref=14
[image: Inline image 3]

*2. Fiqh of Chillin’: Entertainment & Recreation in Islam*

*When: April 5th, from 7 pm to 10pm, April 6th and 7th from 10 am to 7 pm*

*Where: Georgia Tech, Room G011, 901 Atlantic Drive, Atlanta, GA 30332*

Single Weekend Seminar taught by Shaykh Saad Tasleem

AlMaghrib Institute presents a peculiar seminar combining fun and
spirituality. Say what?

Yup - a seminar for you O’ lifeless bore and for you O’ party fiend:

Fiqh of Chillin’: Fun & Entertainment in Islam
While some are quick to flash their “haraam” card at everything minutely
enjoyable, many others compromise their Islam in the name of fun – whether
unknowingly or otherwise.
Is there a balance?

وَكَذَٰلِكَ جَعَلْنَاكُمْ أُمَّةً وَسَطًا
“And so we have made you a balanced nation”
Surat Baqarah: 143

Not only is there a balance, but we are commanded to find it.

In this seminar, you’ll break through the pandemonium and:
-Reconcile between the need for amusement and need for religiosity
-Debunk the myth that having fun is “haraam”
-Learn how to have “a ball” without compromising spirituality
-Break free from the Hollywood trance – gladly and willingly
-Excel in a society where alcohol is prevalent
-Capitalize on the fruits of Facebook, Twitter & YouTube
-Become a complete Muslim – fun, content and happy

For more information and to register for the course:
http://almaghrib.org/seminars/electives/fiqh-of-chillin#info

On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/459161110805071/?ref=14

[image: Inline image 4]

*3. AMYP Monthly Meet-up*

*When: Thursday, April 4th, at 7 pm*

*Where: Murry's in Hurry (880 Indian Trail Rd, Lilburn, GA 30047)*

Greetings AMYP-ers!

When: April 4th, 2013 (Thursday) @ 7:00pm
Where: Murry’s in Hurry (Zabihah & Muslim Owned)
880 Indian Trail Rd, Lilburn, GA 30047
 http://www.yelp.com/biz/murrays-in-a-hurry-lilburn-2

This will be our go-to location for the next few Monthly Meet-Ups! We'll
have games where no topic is Taboo; where you can be witty with your Catch
Phrase; or whatever the night’s games may bring – so be ready.

Y’all bring your A-game, empty stomachs, and competitive spirit every first
Thursday of the month at 7:00pm. The meeting is free, and you are only
responsible for what you eat. Please feel free to forward the invitation to
friends and bring them. We look forward to seeing you!

As always, the AMYP social committee is open to suggestions for locales for
future monthly meet ups. Email us at [log in to unmask]

Please visit http://www.atlmyp.org/ for more information

On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/456214467778190/?ref=14

[image: Inline image 5]

*4. Scarves in Solidarity Day at UGA *

We are asking those willing (muslim and non-muslim)/(men and women alike),
to wear a scarf on this day (if you are a male, you can choose to wear a
scarf around your neck), in support of the Muslim women that have chosen to
wear Hijabs and Niqabs by their own will.

Undoubtedly, there has been circulation of a false perception that Muslim
women are being forced to wear their hijabs and Niqabs, and that the scarf
stands a symbol of oppression.

Please join us in this day! We hope to inform and clarify about the Muslim
womens' choice to wear the hijab and make a statement of solidarity with
the Muslim women all over the world--who are being marginalized against.
This day is not meant to offend anyone religiously or any sense--it is
merely a small effort for a cause.

 On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/106048182899241/?ref=14

[image: Inline image 6]

*5. Conversation with South African Ambassador Ebrahim Rasool*

On behalf of Georgia State University and the Carter Center, please join us
at the Commerce Club on April 17 for a discussion with Ambassador Ebrahim
Rasool on Civic Approaches to Religious Radicalism. Parking will be
complimentary. More information about the event, including the evening’s
schedule, a background video, and directions to the Commerce Club, can be
found here <http://www2.gsu.edu/~cacr/#!prettyPhoto>.

In addition to the Ambassador, Hrair Balian (Director of the Carter
Center’s Conflict Resolution Program) will be speaking.

The event is free and open to the public, but seating is limited. Please
contact Dr. Abbas Barzegar at [log in to unmask] to reserve a seat.

[image: Inline image 7]

*6. House of Dawah Fundraiser*

The program includes speeches that address the youth given by Hafiz Siam
and Imam Ayub. There are various activities for children including Quran
quizzes and prize giveaways. Also, volunteers are needed so if anyone is
interested, please sign up! The event is FREE and everybody is welcome!

[image: Inline image 8][image: Inline image 9]

*7. 13th Annual Muslim Youth Leaders Forum's Retreat*

Scholarships are available for those who cannot afford the price of the
retreat.

If anyone has questions, please contact Intisar Seraaj-Sabree at
[log in to unmask] or (334) 202-3847.

[image: Inline image 10]

*8. Hookah Survey of GSU Students*

Dear Student,

The Survey Research Center is assisting Dr. Kymberle Sterling of the
Institute of Public Health in conducting a survey of Georgia State
University students regarding attitudes and behaviors about smoking hookah.
Participants who complete the survey will be mailed a $10 Amazon gift
card upon completion of the survey. If you have any questions regarding
this survey, please contact Dr. Sterling at [log in to unmask] . We hope
that you will provide us with 15 minutes of your time to complete the
survey.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Sincerely,

James J. Bason, Ph.D.
Director and Associate Research Scientist
Survey Research Center
University of Georgia

*Follow this link to the Survey:*
Take the Survey<https://ugeorgia.qualtrics.com/WRQualtricsSurveyEngine/?Q_SS=a9HYVqI2SI0Xf6Z_4SIh5NTq85WB9cN&_=1>

Or copy and paste the URL below into your internet browser:
https://ugeorgia.qualtrics.com/WRQualtricsSurveyEngine/?Q_SS=a9HYVqI2SI0Xf6Z_4SIh5NTq85WB9cN&_=1

*9. Webcasts: THE RISE & CALL OF MUHAMMAD, Prophetic Patience in Mecca:
Resolve without Revenge*

A Global Celebration of The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)
Webcast Live to Your Living Room. All you need is an internet connection to
join!

Webcast SHOWTIMES:

Showtime 1 Tuesday, April 2 at 9pm EST
Showtime 2 Friday, April 5 at 10pm EST
Showtime 3 Saturday, April 6 at 6pm EST
Showtime 4 Sunday, April 7 at 2.30pm EST
Showtime 5 Thursday, April 11 at 8pm EST
Showtime 6 Friday, April 12 at 6am EST
Showtime 7 Saturday, April 13 at 3am EST
Showtime 8 Saturday, April 13 at 8pm EST
Showtime 9 Sunday, April 14 at 11.30am EST
Showtime 10 Sunday, April 14 at 7pm EST