Inline image 2

Semi-Monthly Hadith

“Umar bin Al-Khattab (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (PBUH) said, "Whoever of you performs Wudu' carefully and then affirms: `Ash-hadu an la ilaha illallahu Wahdahu la sharika Lahu, wa ash-hadu anna Muhammadan `abduhu wa Rasuluhu [I testify that there so no true god except Allah Alone, Who has no partners and that Muhammad ((PBUH) is His slave and Messenger],' the eight gates of Jannah are opened for him. He may enter through whichever of these gates he desires (to enter).''[Muslim].

Assalamu Alaikum Dear MSA members,

We have two major MSA events going on, including our first major event of the semester next Thursday, February 21st and five community announcements for you in this newsletter.

I) Fast-A-Thon

Fast-A-Thon is an annual event that asks the local community to abstain from food and drink for one day from sunrise to sunset. This year, the Fast-A-Thon will take place on Thursday, February 21st. Participants will be invited to a dinner at 5:30 pm in the Student Center Ballroom, where they will break their fast and partake in an evening of reflection and social awareness. The guest speakers at the event will be the nationally renowned Imam Siraj Wahaaj and Helping Hand USA.

Admission:
A table will be set up at the entrance allowing people to register and join with the MSA by paying their dues for the semester. Dues for this event will be $10 and will include a free T-shirt and free admission to every other MSA event for the rest of the semester.

Anyone interested in volunteering, please email us at

PARKING INFORMATION:

Students and guests should be able to park at M Deck (33 Auditorium Place) or T Deck (43 Auburn Avenue).

• $7.00 for visitors or students without a parking permit or budget card
• $4.50 per entry with a valid GSU student parking permit
• $3.50 per entry with a valid GSU student Parking Budget Card
• $2.25 per entry after 4 PM in all decks and lots with a valid GSU student parking permit

Also, parking on the street is free after 7pm on weekdays.

Inline image 1

II) Halaqahs and the Dawah table

Halaqahs have started! Come join us to freely discuss religious and non-religious topics relevant to Muslims. In addition to broadening our Islamic knowledge, this is the perfect time to meet fellow Muslims on campus! Halaqahs will take place three times a week, starting on Mondays with a mixed Halaqah from 1:30 PM - 2:30 PM, followed by a brothers’ Halaqah on Tuesdays from 12:15 PM - 1 PM, and a sisters’ Halaqah on Thursdays from 12:15 PM - 1 PM. All Halaqahs will take place in the University Center on the 4th floor in room 402, located just around the corner from the MSA Prayer Room. Please come and learn about the Deen and bring a friend with!

Inline image 5

We have also started the Dawah table - a table set out for curious Non-Muslims and Muslims to learn about Islam and become a part of the MSA. If you are interested in becoming a part of the Dawah table, email us at [log in to unmask]! Catch us there every Monday and Wednesday from 12-1 PM in the Library Plaza!

Inline image 3

COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS
1. Fawakih Institute’s Quranic Arabic Intensive & “What is Love?” (Feb 15th – 17th)
2. International Purple Hijab Day 2013 (Feb 23rd)                                                                                          3. Family Fun Day Volunteers Needed (March 2nd)                                                                                                               4. AMYP’s Monthly Meet-Ups (March 7th)                                                                                                                5. MSA East Zone Conference (March 22-24)

1. Fawakih Institute’s Quranic Arabic Intensive & “What is Love?”

This weekend, Al-Farooq Masjid of Atlanta will be hosting two exciting events:

1.      Fawakih Institute's Quranic Arabic Intensive (registration required), with a free session on Friday night entitled "Linguistic Beauty of the Quran"

2.      "What is Love?" on Saturday night for youth and their families.

We welcome the entire Atlanta community to participate!

Fawakih Quranic Arabic Intensive

Who: Teenage and Adults interested in the basics of the Arabic linguistics found in the Quran

Instructor: Hisham Mahmood, Fawakih Director of Arabic

When: Fri 2/15 @ 7pm to Sun 2/17 @ 4:30pm

Cost: $100 tuition for weekend course (Friday and Saturday night events are free)

How: Online registration required, seats are limited due to the interactive nature of the course (wait-list available when course is filled) @ http://atlantafawakih.eventbrite.com/

What is Love?

Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/107133746123731/

Love is in the air, and everyone has their own ideas about what it means. From the prophets (peace be upon them) to the scholars and poets, what kind of wisdom can we take from our tradition about this powerful force? How do we recognize it, and how can we let it flourish in lives? On the other hand, how can we heal the wounds that may be left by those we may love or have once loved?

This session is for youth, but we encourage the whole family to attend. We will have an extended Q&A session after the talks.

Speakers:

Ustadh Hisham Mahmoud

Ustadha Zaynab Ansari

Ustadh Salah Abdul-Razacq

Sat, Feb 16, 2013

6:00pm - 9:00pm

Location:

Abu Bakr Hall,

Al-Farooq Masjid of Atlanta

442 14th Street, Atlanta, GA

 Inline image 6

2. International Purple Hijab Day 2013 - Atlanta Event

An event hosted in Atlanta, GA by Muslim Men Against Domestic Violence-Atlanta. This day we come together to remind us about domestic abuse and how we are all responsible for ending it in our community, insh'Allah. We also celebrate the lives of those who we have lost due to domestic abuse in the US and aboard, insh'Allah. We ask people to host prayer vigils in their homes, places of worship, host workshops and other events to bring people together to discuss the issue and to recommit to working together to end it, insh'Allah. Please contact Bilal Stroud at [log in to unmask] to be in the program.

February 17, 2013...Purple Spa Day...Recognition/support against Domestic Violence.12- 5pm ..Islamic Center West End is part of the local weekend of events. February 17, 2013 Int.l Purple Hijab Day 2013 brunch Masjid Al Mu minun, 1127 Hank Aaron Dr. SW 1 pm-4 pm cost $7.00.

Inline image 7

3. Family Fun Day Volunteers Needed

Dear MSA members,

We are a private Islamic school in Lilburn-GA, Al-Falah Academy. We are fully licensed and accredited.

We are reaching out to you because we are planing a family fun day free for the community and we need volunteers to help us during the event.

Your reputation precedes you and we are looking forward to find volunteers with your qualifications.

During the family-fun day event, planned for March 2nd, 2013, we have a chance to reach out to many GA tax donors and increase the amount of available scholarship funds. We are counting on your support to help us handle the event in a very professional and organized way.

Here are some of the tasks that we need volunteers to handle during the Family-fun day:

Ø  Before the event (9:30a.m to 11a.m.)

-       Set up the registrar’s stations

-       Set up the activities ‘stations (Art and crafts face painting, Henna…)

-       Handle decorations (balloons, banners…)

Ø  During the event (10:45a.m to 2p.m.)

-       Check list of guests

-       Distributing papers ( GA tax, tours flyer, enrollment brochures)

-       Working in the Henna and face painting booths

-       Working in the arts and crafts stations

-       Coordinating various games for the children

-       Coordinating and monitoring Basket-ball and volley-ball games for the children

-       Babysitting

Ø  After the event (2p.m. to 3p.m.)

-       Cleaning

Please reach out to me or to the PTO ([log in to unmask]) to sign-up for one of the tasks above

The address of the event:

Berkmar High School

405 Pleasant Hill Rd

Lilburn, GA 30047

Kindly, please forward this email to your friends.

Thank you for your support

4. AMYP’s Monthly Meet-Ups

Greetings AMYP-ers!

When: March 7th, 2013 (Thursday) @ 7:00pm
Where: Murry’s in Hurry (Zabihah & Muslim Owned)
880 Indian Trail Rd, Lilburn, GA 30047
http://www.yelp.com/biz/murrays-in-a-hurry-lilburn-2

This will be our go-to location for the next few Monthly Meet-Ups! We'll have games where no topic is Taboo; where you can be witty with your Catch Phrase; or whatever the night’s games may bring – so be ready.

Y’all bring your A-game, empty stomachs, and competitive spirit every first Thursday of the month at 7:00pm. The meeting is free, and you are only responsible for what you eat. Please feel free to forward the invitation to friends and bring them. We look forward to seeing you!

As always, the AMYP social committee is open to suggestions for locales for future monthly meet ups. Email us at [log in to unmask]!

Please visit http://www.atlmyp.org/ for more information or visit the Facebook event at https://www.facebook.com/events/554148924608962/

Inline image 8

5. MSA EAST ZONE: Raleigh, NC on March 22-24!

MSA National is pleased to announce the East Zone Conference in Raleigh, NC from March 22-24! Save the date and start planning!

REGISTRATION is open! Check out
http://msanational.org/ez/
Registration is $35 now, and $45 at the door.

Click on the link at http://msanational.org/ez/ for hotel information.
Rooms are at the Raleigh Marriott City Center for 115.00/night

If you are interested in transportation from your locality, please visit
atlez2013.eventbrite.com. Please use your GSU student email address to register.

Inline image 9