[image: Inline image 1]

*Semi-Monthly Hadith*

Abdullah bin Umar (RA) reported: The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "The
finest act of goodness is that a person should treat kindly the loved ones
of his father.” [Muslim]

Assalamu Alaikum Dearest MSA members,

We have two major MSA events going on, and six community announcements for
you in this newsletter.

*I) Fast-A-Thon*

Fast-A-Thon is an annual event that asks the local community to abstain
from food and drink for one day. This year, the Fast-A-Thon will take place
on* February 21st*. Participants will be invited to a dinner at *5:30 pm in
the Student Center Ballroom*, where they will break their fast and partake
in an evening of reflection and social awareness. The guest *speakers* at
the event will be *Imam Siraj Wahaaj* and *Helping Hand USA*.

Admission:
A table will be set up at the entrance allowing people to register and join
with the MSA by paying their dues for the semester. *Dues for this event
will be $10* and will include a free T-shirt and free admission to every
other MSA event for the rest of the semester.

Anyone interested in volunteering, please email us at *[log in to unmask]* </>!

PARKING INFORMATION:

Students and guests should be able to park at M Deck (33 Auditorium Place)
or T Deck (43 Auburn Avenue).

• $7.00 for visitors or students without a parking permit or budget card
• $4.50 per entry with a valid GSU student parking permit
• $3.50 per entry with a valid GSU student Parking Budget Card
• $2.25 per entry after 4 PM in all decks and lots with a valid GSU student
parking permit

Also, parking on the street is free after 7pm on weekdays.

[image: Inline image 6]

*II) Halaqahs and the Dawah table*

Halaqahs have started! Come join us to freely discuss religious and
non-religious topics relevant to Muslims. In addition to broadening our
Islamic knowledge, this is the perfect time to meet fellow Muslims on
campus! Halaqahs will take place three times a week, starting on Mondays
with a *mixed Halaqah from 1:30 PM - 2:30 PM*, followed by a *brothers’
Halaqah on Tuesdays from 12:15 PM - 1 PM*, and a *sisters’ Halaqah on
Thursdays from 12:15 PM - 1 PM*. All Halaqahs will take place in the
*University
Center on the 4th floor in room 402*, located just around the corner from
the MSA Prayer Room.

We have also started the Dawah table - a table set out for curious
Non-Muslims and Muslims to learn about Islam and become a part of the MSA.
Catch us there every Monday and Wednesday from 12-1 PM in the Library Plaza!

[image: Inline image 5]

*COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS*

1. Moving Atlanta to a Higher Ground (Feb 6th)
2. MIST Atlanta Carnival and Talent Show (Feb 9th)
3. Breaking Down Stereotypes (Feb 10th and Feb 17th)
4. International Purple Hijab Day 2013 (Feb 23rd)
5. United for Service - Volunteer Opportunities (Jun 28th - July 8th -
Application deadline: Feb 28th)
6. MSA East Zone Conference (March 22-24)

*1. Moving Atlanta to Higher Ground*

Wednesday, February 6, 2013: Religious Studies to Host Key Atlanta
Religious Leaders at Rialto Center for the Arts

As part of its Religion and Public Life Fellows program, Religious Studies
is proud to sponsor “Moving Atlanta to Higher Ground: How Religion Inspires
Positive Change” at the Rialto Center for the Arts on Wednesday, February
6th at 5 p.m. The Department, in cooperation with the Community Foundation
and the Higher Ground Group, will bring four long-time Atlanta faith
leaders, the Rev. Joanna Adams, Imam Plemon El-Amin, the Rev. Joseph
Roberts, and Rabbi Alvin Sugarman, to the Rialto stage for a moderated
panel discussion on religion and key issues affecting metropolitan Atlanta.
WXIA anchor Ted Hall will moderate this conversation. The event is free and
open to the public, and audience members will be invited to present their
own questions to the panel. For further information about this event
contact Dr. McClymond at [log in to unmask]

*2. MIST Atlanta Carnival and Talent Show*

Come one, come all! Join us for the first annual MIST Atlanta Carnival and
Talent Show :)

Where? Agnes Scott College, Evans Dining Hall
When? February 9th at 12 pm
What? There will be fun games and activities, raffle giveaways (and cash
prizes), penny wars, face painting, henna, arts and crafts, clothes and
food stalls and much, much more.
What else? MIST is hosting its first ever Talent Showcase. Were you walking
at your high school graduation when you heard about MIST? Do you ever look
at the high schoolers and think, I can make an even bigger fool of myself??
Well, here's your chance. The showcase is open for ages 15+ and everyone is
welcome to do just about anything, as long as it adheres to the general
MIST rules. Could this get even better?? YES! Girl's Talent Showcase will
be separated so that everyone has a fair chance to participate! Lose your
wudu yet??

Tickets at the door are $20, so hurry and reserve your tickets now for $15
at
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGR0cDV6TVJMYnhKRk9rVDhLeGU5dVE6MQ>
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGR0cDV6TVJMYnhKRk9rVDhLeGU5dVE6MQKids
under 12 get in free.
Contact [log in to unmask] if you would like to participate in the
showcase or if you have any other general questions. If you would like to
buy a table to sell clothes, food, etc, please send an email to the above
or call Sister Aisha Hussain at 404-731-3193.

Be sure to spread the word. We can't wait to see all of you! Let's get
MISTified :)

[image: Inline image 4]

*3. Breaking down Stereotypes*

Dear MSA members,

My name is Emna Jarraya. I am working on this program called "breaking down
stereotypes" and it consists of 2 parts: the first part is taking the
students to the Farooq Masjid and my target is to break down their
presumptions about Muslims and Islam. It will be a new and different
experience for them to be in a mosque, attending a lecture, and observing
the prayers, along with a rich discussion on the various aspects of the
religion.

The second part is taking the students to the church and giving them the
opportunity to meet Arab Christians. My target is to have a better
understanding of the fact that not all Arabs are Muslims. I would like the
students to perceive the difference between Arab muslims and Arab
christians however small it is.

This is part of my job here in GSU and as you can see the program is not
related to any class, however it is educational and your presence will make
the discussion richer and more interesting by sharing with us your
experiences related to the topic. It would be such an honor for me to work
with the Muslim Student Association members and leaders. This invitation
stands for both programs, the Masjid and the Church:

The date of the visit to the Masjid is Sunday Feb 10th at 1pm (Address: 442
14th Street NW Atlanta, GA 30318).

The date of the visit to the church is Sunday feb 17th at 10.30 (Address:
St. John Chrysostom Melkite Greek Catholic Church, 1428 Ponce de Leon
Avenue, Atlanta, GA 30307)

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Emna Jarraya
 <[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]

*4. International Purple Hijab Day 2013 - Atlanta Event*

An event hosted in Atlanta, GA by Muslim Men Against Domestic
Violence-Atlanta. This day we come together to remind us about domestic
abuse and how we are all responsible for ending it in our community,
insh'Allah. We also celebrate the lives of those who we have lost due to
domestic abuse in the US and aboard, insh'Allah. We ask people to host
prayer vigils in their homes, places of worship, host workshops and other
events to bring people together to discuss the issue and to recommit to
working together to end it, insh'Allah. Please contact Bilal Stroud at
[log in to unmask] to be in the program.

February 17, 2013...Purple Spa Day...Recognition/support against Domestic
Violence..12- 5pm ..Islamic Center West End
is part of the local weekend of events. February 17, 2013 Int.l Purple
Hijab Day 2013 brunch Masjid Al Mu minun, 1127 Hank Aaron Dr. SW 1 pm-4 pm
cost $7.00.

[image: Inline image 3]

*
**5. United for service - Volunteer Opportunities**
*
As-salaamu Alaikum MSA Members,

I am sending this message on behalf of United For Service (
www.unitedforservice.org), a non-profit organization that serves to instill
a sense of leadership and social responsibility among young adult Muslims
by providing first-hand opportunities to serve others globally and locally.

I wanted to inform you of an opportunity for individuals to volunteer in
India, Morocco, or Mexico in a group with fellow Muslims this summer. It's
an excellent opportunity to learn about the challenges of working in a
developing country, gain international experience, and expose the youth of
our community to an entirely different way of life. The programs provide
exposure to many different areas including healthcare, education, social
and civil rights, as well as economic development issues. I previously had
the opportunity to volunteer in India, which was a personally rewarding
experience.

Please see the attached flyer that highlights additional information. I
would greatly appreciate it if you would please share the attached with
your members.

Regards,

Faridha Barra

Director of Operations
United For Service
 <http://www.unitedforservice.org>www.unitedforservice.org
 <[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask]

[image: Inline image 2]

*
**6. MSA EAST ZONE: The East Zone Conference will be taking place in
Raleigh, NC on March 22-24!*

If you are from the Atlanta area and are interested in making the trip to
the conference, please fill out the survey below.
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFNqc19OaVhkMzNCdXJ1Y2FSQ2Y3LUE6MQ#gid=0>
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFNqc19OaVhkMzNCdXJ1Y2FSQ2Y3LUE6MQ#gid=0

If you are interested in arranging transportation from your locality and
need some help, feel free to contact Safia Ansari at
[log in to unmask] Please use your student email address to register.

[image: Description: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif]

--
Visit us at GSUMSA.com! Be sure to register with the MSA on OrgSync! Only
registered members receive the code to the prayer room located at

The MSA at GSU is now on Twitter and YouTube! Follow us on Twitter @GSU_MSA
and we'll follow you back insha'Allah!
Subscribe to us on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/user/MSAatGSU
And join our Facebook group at: http://www.facebook.com/groups/2201839796/

Unsubscribe: If you would like to be removed from the MSA mailing list,

Did you read this email? The first person to reply with their Panther ID #
and name gets waived dues for this semester! (Newsletters only)