Inline image 8

Semi-Monthly Hadith

Al-Bara' bin `Azib (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: A man was reciting Surat Al-Kahf, and a horse was tied with two ropes beside him. As he was reciting, a cloud overshadowed him, and as it began to come nearer and nearer, the horse began to trample violently. The man came to the Messenger of Allah (PBUH) in the morning and mentioned the incident to him. He (PBUH) said, "That was tranquility which descended as a result of the recitation of the Qur'an.''

I) EID MUBARAK!!!

Assalamu’ Alaikum GSU MSA members!

Please accept our apologies for sending the email without all the flyers the first time. The MSA at GSU would like to wish you a very happy Eid! We pray to Allah (swt) that the joy of Eid lasts in your hearts all the way until the next Eid. We have a few very important announcements for you this month, and in case you are still in 'Eid Party' mode, we have some information about celebration events happening nearby in the community announcements section.

II) Urgent - Open Board Positions for Spring 2013

We are currently looking to fill several board positions for Spring 2013 as some of our current officers are graduating. Please see the list and descriptions below:

1. Treasurer: In charge of the finances of GSU MSA. Must keep track of bank account as well as school account, be able to plan and keep a budget, pay prayer room rent, file reimbursements, and work with other members to coordinate budgets for MSA related events, projects, and more. Freshman or Sophomore strongly preferred.

2. Secretary: Organizes the general activities of MSA. Must keep track of meeting minutes, notifying members of meetings, and being up to date on MSA activities. Must be prompt, organized,  and efficient.

3. OrgSync/Email Coordinator: In charge of OrgSync and MSA email account. Must regularly update MSA OrgSync website with upcoming events and announcements. Must check and organize MSA email account on a daily basis. Must construct a bi-monthly newsletter to send out to the GSU MSA listserv which serves over 850 people.

4. AMYP Representative: Represents the GSU MSA at AMYP (Atlanta Muslim Young Professionals) events. Must attend AMYP events and work with AMYP board to coordinate events and announcements. Attendance at all AMYP events is not required. Strongly prefer Junior or Senior.

If you are interested in any of the above positions, please submit your resume by Sunday, November 4th. All applicants will be contacted after that to schedule an interview. We encourage every member interested in any or several of the positions to apply. All applicants have an equal opportunity!

As always, please feel free to contact us at [log in to unmask] with any questions or comments!

III) Panel on the new Egyptian Government

Please join us for a panel discussion on how the government transition has affected Egypt’s two major religious groups, Muslims and Coptic Christians. This will take place on Thursday, November 8th from Noon – 1 pm at Urban Life Building room 170. There will be a free taco bar at the event.

Inline image 7

IV) Children of Abraham: Final Event

Please join us on Wednesday, November 14 for the final event of the Children of Abraham Interfaith series of the semester. There will be free food and fun games for all who attend. This will take place at the University center room 470 from 11 am - 3 pm.

Inline image 5

COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS

1. Helping Hands Aid Effort: Hurricane Sandy
2. Community Eid Dinners/Parties
3. A wish for palestine at UGA
4. Al Maghrib class: Complicated? (Women's Modern Fiqh)
5. AUSACE Conference 2012

1. Hurricane Sandy - Duaa for Rain, Thunder & Wind

Dua recommended by the Prophet Muhammad (Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon him) at the time of rain, thunder and wind:

Inline image 4

The ICNA Relief Disaster Response Team is monitoring Hurricane Sandy very carefully and have issued a press release announcing an initial fund allocation of $100,000 for Hurricane Sandy relief efforts.

Please make dua, prayers and ask Allah to save us from this storm. As a member of NVOAD (National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster) and as members of many local and state VOAD’s, we are attending conference calls and sketching out our plans.

Register to volunteer. ICNA Relief USA uses all its financial and human resources in a very responsible manner.
Click here to volunteer.

ICNA Relief USA is the only Muslim organization selected to participate in major federally funded disaster recovery programs. It is only with your support and prayers that we can help those in need in at the time of this disaster.

Wassalam,

ICNA Relief Disaster Response Team
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
www.icnarelief.org
Phone: (718) 658-7028 | Disaster Support Hotline (888) 616-6865
87-91 144th Street | Jamaica | NY 11435

2. Upcoming Eid Celebration Events Around Georgia

Come one, Come all. Spread the word, spread the joy!

KSU (Nov 1st): http://www.facebook.com/events/168235639982617/

AMYP Annual Eid Dinner (Nov 3rd): http://www.facebook.com/events/265343533575480/

UGA (Nov 4th): http://www.facebook.com/events/121878994632972/

Oxford College (Nov 5th): http://www.facebook.com/events/157479384398514/

Agnes Scott College (Nov 6th): http://www.facebook.com/events/272297756224106/

3. A Wish for Palestine

The University of Georgia's Arab Cultural Association, Muslim Student Association, and Athens for Justice in Palestine have come together to present the second annual A Wish for Palestine. A Wish for Palestine is a fundraiser luncheon that will take place on November 11, 2012 at Tate Grand Hall. Please join our organizations and invite everyone you know as we raise funds for the Palestine Children's Relief Fund (P.C.R.F).

The event will feature a speech by Lebanese-American activist Mansour Ansari and a p
resentation by Imad Nasseredin of the Atlanta chapter of PCRF.

Doors will open at 2:00. Middle Eastern food will be served.

TICKET PRICES: $6 for UGA students, $8 for students of other schools, and $10 for the general public. Please bring your school ID when you purchase a ticket if you are a student! Tickets will be on sale by November 2.

Tickets can be purchased through UGA's Tate ticketing office! Limited tickets will be sold at the door. Please come with your checkbooks/cash/other forms of money if you would like to make a donation to the P.C.R.F. The P.C.R.F will also be selling hand-embroidered Middle Eastern items that range in price from $5-$50. The profits from this merchandise will go to a refugee camp in Lebanon.

The P.C.R.F. is a registered non-political, non-profit, 501(c)3 tax-exempt organization that was established in 1991 to address the medical and humanitarian crisis facing Palestinian youths in the Middle East. The P.C.R.F. provides many life-saving surgeries to Middle Eastern children in need. This event cannot take place without the support of our community. The P.C.R.F is truly an amazing organization, and if you'd like more information, please visit their website: http://www.pcrf.net/.

Inline image 3

4. Complicated? (Women's Modern Fiqh)

The number one most complicated matter in regards to women is the Fiqh of Women. But it doesn’t have to be. AlMaghrib Institute introduces a well-deserved and long-awaited seminar dedicated to the Muslim Woman.

Go here for more details: http://qsalaam.org/?p=939

Inline image 2

5. AUSACE Conference 2012

This is a conference on Arab journalism and communication that will take place from Nov 16 – 19 at Georgia State University. As part of the conference, we'll be showing the film "Wam! Bam! Islam!" and having a panel discussion.  We're also looking for student volunteers for the conference. Volunteering at this event is a great opportunity to build connections from around the world, especially for students studying journalism, media, communications, political science, international relations, and Arabic. Please email Matt Duffy at [log in to unmask] if interested. We'll have about 50 Arabic scholars visiting from around the world. For more information, visit: www.ausace2012.com

Inline image 1

Wishing you a very happy Eid one more time.
Salaam,

- MSA at GSU

--
Visit us at GSUMSA.com! Be sure to register with the MSA on OrgSync! Only registered members receive the code to the prayer room located at University Center room 409.

The MSA at GSU is now on Twitter and YouTube! Follow us on Twitter @GSU_MSA and we'll follow you back insha'Allah!
Subscribe to us on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/user/MSAatGSU
And join our Facebook group at: http://www.facebook.com/groups/2201839796/