bismillah.jpg

Assalamu Alaikum wa Rahmatullah wa Barakatuh Everyone,

The Eid Celebrations event on campus is tomorrow, 17th November, Thursday at Urban Life Lobby, from 5-7pm

Hope to see you all there.

The foot washing basins in the restrooms on the 4th floor of the University Center have been completed.  Please spread the word.

Last but not least, due to the end of daylight savings, the times of Jummah have changed. Jummah will be at 1pm and 2pm Fridays from now on insha-Allah.

Walaikum Salaam.

GSU MSA

Eid Celebration.JPG

COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS:

1. America’s Islamic Heritage Museum in Washington D.C
2. Jewish Muslim Dialogue Event - Cousins of Faith on Nov 20th
3. Food Drive at Masjid Al-Hedaya
4. Basement Apartment available for rent
5. Scholarships at Center for Global Understanding
6.  Council of InterFaith Concerns (CIFC) meeting
7.  Coat Drive at Al-Farooq Masjid

1. America’s Islamic Heritage Museum in Washington D.C

museum.JPG
Washington Post Article

If you would like to support the museum noble effort you can donate on line at www.muslimsinamerica.org by using paypal or mail in your donation to CSAM at 2315 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave SE Washington, DC 20020.

2. Jewish Muslim Dialogue Event

jmd1.JPG

3. Food Drive at Masjid Al-Hedaya

Assalamu Alaikum Brothers and Sisters,

We are holding a food drive to help support the Thanksgiving Dinner Program of the CFR ( Center for Family Resources). This is an excellent chance to make a difference in the lives of many families as well as make a significant impact on our community. We encourage you to join this effort to help our less fortunate neighbors. The food we collect will help the CFR supply food for over 1400 families in our community.

Here are ways you can help:

1. Food items: Boxes are located in the Masjid Dressing Mix/Gravy, Cranberry Sauce, Canned/Instant Potatoes (sweet/white), Canned Green Vegetables, Canned Yellow Vegetables, Non-Refrigerated Pie Shell and Pumpkin Pie Mix, Dried/Canned Milk, Roasting Pan, Dried Beans, Peanut Butter, Canned Tuna, Rice/Pasta/Cereal, Soup, Canned fruit, Bread/Rolls

2. Volunteer:
Wednesday, November 16, from 9:30am to 1:30pm.
To unload food as is delivered, sort food into categories, pack food boxes.
On behalf of the Masjid Al-Hedaya and CFR, we thank you for your participation in this food drive.

Sr. Eeman: 770. 639. 2656
Sr. Nasreen: 770. 919. 1380

For more info on the CFR: www.thecfr.org

Jazak Allah Khair
Islamic Center of Marietta (Masjid Al-Hedaya)

4. Basement apartment available for rent.

I have a basement apartment for rent : There are two bedrooms that include their own shower, toilet and face bowl.  Each room also has a closet that is large enough to hang clothes and store other belongings.  There is a  commons area in the basement that will be shared with another sister; it includes a stove, refrigerator and cabinet for storage.  Likewise, there is a sitting area with a sofa and love-seat for viewing television and etc.  We are asking $400. monthly which includes all utilities, plus cable and Internet capability.  For more information, please contact me:  If  there is a  single sister with children interested in both rooms,  please have her contact me, we may be able to work something out that is comparable to her budget!

Lynice Muhammad

678-357-4279

5. Scholarships at Center for Global Understanding (CFGU)

"Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other."

                                                                                                      - President John F. Kennedy

In This Issue

Scholarship Announcement

One on one with a DC Intern

A Unique Type of Scholarship

Quick Link

CFGU Website

2011 Reception

2010 Reception

2009 Reception

Summer 2011 Interns

Read more about our Summer 2011 interns

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View our videos on YouTube

Donate Now

Donate Now

Donate Now

Dear MSA Members,

The Center for Global Understanding (CFGU) mission is to provide a platform to cultivate the next generation of American leaders through internships in Washington D.C. and continued training and education on leadership development.

Announcing 25 Scholarships for Summer 2012

The Center for Global Understanding (CFGU) is a non-profit civic and educational organization designed to bring people together. One of our main goals is to help cultivate future Muslim American leaders through our Washington D.C. Internship program. 25 scholarships are available to qualified students for the summer of 2012. Student must complete their application by NOVEMBER 30, 2011 to be eligible for the CFGU scholarships.  APPLY NOW

Click to continue reading...

One on One with a DC Intern:

An interview with Fatimeh Shamseddine

By Ghatul Qayum, CFGU Intern, Summer 2011

Fatimeh Shamseddine, half Lebanese and half Sierra Leonean, was born in the small African Country of Sierra Leone. She moved to the great state of Florida at six years old after a very dangerous Civil War broke out. She speaks three languages: Arabic, Creole, and English. She has a Bachelor's degree in Criminology and Communications from the University of South Florida.

A fellow intern, Ghatul Qayum had a chance to sit down with Fatimeh with a one-on-one interview. She discusses the importance of interning in Washington D.C and why it is important to intern with The Center of Global Understanding.

Ghatul: Fatimeh, Why is it so vital to intern while in college?

Fatimeh: Well, Internships are more increasingly becoming a vital component to success in both the academic and professional environments. Many employers require candidates to have gained hands on work experience through internships. As graduate admissions become more competitive, their ideal candidates are those who have had exposure to the practical world and students most commonly gain this exposure through interning. Not only do internships enhance the attractiveness of your resume, but it is an excellent opportunity to test drive your major and interests. You are able to maximize your potential through interning and build new skill sets that will help you thrive in your career.

 Click to continue reading...

A Unique Type of Scholarship

by Hina Samnani, CFGU Intern, Summer 2011

If you're a regular at your neighborhood masjid or have a racially ambiguous background or just want to engage with other students from a diverse upbringing, the Center for Global Understanding (CFGU) is looking for you! CFGU is offering 25 scholarships for this year's summer class of interns.

Students in undergraduate or graduate institutions who are seeking a stimulating experience in Washington D.C. are encouraged to apply for one of these competitive scholarships. Prospective students can be anywhere from political science majors to business majors to even fine arts majors, as long as they possess a strong desire to "bridge the gap between different cultures and religions." Because that's what CFGU is all about-as this California-based nonprofit organization asserts in its mission statement, CFGU is looking for students to cultivate the next generation of American leaders and "bring people together."

Click to continue reading...

6.  Council of InterFaith Concerns (CIFC) meeting

The Next CIFC meeting will be Wednesday, November 30, 2011 starting 1pm in UC 402. We will try to end by 1:45pm. Please be there if you can. Thank you.

The agenda will be :

1) Should we have Lunch n Learn on Wednesdays in 2011 since Tuesdays are meeting days for many groups? Will you / your groups attend?

2) Should we help Street Grace/ the Obama Interfaith initiative with "Sex and Free Lunch" lunch n learns in 2011?

on a Wednesday and a Tuesday?

3) Ecumenical Ash Wednesday for February 22, 2012

4) Partnership with CRU for Valentine's Day?

7.  Coat Drive at Al-Farooq Masjid

Coat Drive- Sis. Amina Darden, of the Friday New Muslim Sisters of AFM group, will be setting up a coat drive for this Friday and the next. This is an initiative towards a homeless program here in Atlanta called Giving Back to Humanity. Please donate coats for women, men, and children. Coats should be in good condition and clean. A set up table will be placed in the AFM's courtyard this Friday (Nov 18) and the next (Nov 25). Please do pass the word out to family and friends and be a part of the effort! May Allah (SWT) accept our efforts, Ameen!