asalamualiakum everyone,

this is an email from a brother who is doing research at Clemson University asking for Muslims to participate in it so that he can gather data on the views of Muslims in America concerning how they view themselves. This was the email originally sent to me.

from:
Majdouline Aziz
December 1 at 12:59pm Report
Dear Khalil Shakir,

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: "If anyone travels on a road in search of knowledge, God will cause him to travel on one of the roads of Paradise.”

I am writing you regarding a research project entitled “Muslim religious identity: Factors that promote Muslim religious identity among college student members of Muslim Student Associations,” which is being conducted by me. My name is Majdouline Aziz and I am a doctoral candidate in International Family and Community Studies at Clemson University in Clemson, South Carolina and am a member of the Muslim population in the United States.

The purpose of this research is to explore the factors that promote religious identity among Muslim American college students who are members of Muslim Student Associations (MSA). Such factors include, but are not limited to, family and peer characteristics, sense of belonging to one’s religious group, participation in religious practices, and religious involvement in structured religious organizations such as Muslim Student Associations.

Islam is the fastest growing religion in the United States and is poised to displace Judaism and become second only to Christianity in the number of adherents. This research will lead to a better understanding of this ever-growing population by helping us understand how American Muslims develop and negotiate their religious identities in the present and will allow us to predict how future generations of Muslims will develop and negotiate their religious identities. Thus, this research will provide the Muslim American community with a “formula” on how to maintain their faith while living in the United States.

The purpose of this email is to see if your Muslim Student Association chapter would be willing to participate in this research. Members would be asked to fill out a web-based survey that would be sent via email during the spring semester of 2010. Furthermore, if you think that your MSA chapter would be willing to participate, can you please inform me of the approximate number of members that are associated with your chapter. Furthermore, you will be provided with a summary of the results of this research.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at anytime at [log in to unmask] or at (803)629-7577.

I would like to thank you in advance for taking valued time out of your day to consider contributing to research designed to ensure Muslim religious identity achievement among Muslim Americans.

Thank you, Jazakumullahu Khair (May Allah (God) reward you with blessings),

Majdouline Aziz