SWIG Archives

Software Interest Group

SWIG@LISTSERV.GSU.EDU

From:
Predrag Punosevac <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
software interest group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 2010 15:06:33 -0500
Rob Clewley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Predrag,
>
> In making a SWIG page for python, can I suggest we make a page just
> like the one for TeX with some/all of the following material?
>
> The basic link is of course: http://python.org/
>
> The blurb at the top of our page could be quoted from here:
>
> http://www.python.org/doc/essays/blurb.html
>

> The links here I've already compiled can go under "Free Resources".
> Most of these focus on the scientific applications, which I feel is
> crucial to us.
>
> http://www.cam.cornell.edu/~rclewley/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/PythonResources
>
> Significant books: well, there are so many and none are standard. I
> never used a book to learn!
>
> Dive Into Python:
> http://www.amazon.com/Dive-Into-Python-Mark-Pilgrim/dp/1441413022/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266693555&sr=1-1
>
> Python Scripting for Computational Science:
> http://www.amazon.com/Python-Scripting-Computational-Science-Engineering/dp/3540739157/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1266693608&sr=1-1
>

> Notable mailing lists:
>
> comp.lang.python
>
> but also link to http://www.python.org/community/lists/
>

> I am hesitant to collect a lot more stuff on a page that's not
> specific to scientific computing. There are a million resources out
> there just by googling, and I don't know more about which are the
> best.
>
> It's a start, right?! :)
>
> Cheers,
> Rob
>

> --
> Robert Clewley, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor
> Neuroscience Institute and
> Department of Mathematics and Statistics
> Georgia State University
> 720 COE, 30 Pryor St
> Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
>
> tel: 404-413-6420 fax: 404-413-6403
> http://www2.gsu.edu/~matrhc

That is fantastic!!! That is exactly what I am dreaming of. I will send
you a source code for XHTML and CSS used to produce TeX web-page
It has to go via private e-mail because due to security reasons the
mail server is stripping attachments from e-mails which are coming to
SwIG mailing list. Just edit at your liking and send me back.

I also forgot to ask people what would you like to see after the Java
Applet talk? Andrey's question about editors and TeX is fantastic.
Actually that was the second lecture in the semi-advanced mini TeX
course I prepared but I have far more interesting things to talk about.

Also in order for us to include more people in creating department
documentation and resources 60 minute lecture about XHTML and CSS would
be a good thing (in my point of view). That should be delivered by one
of our graduate students. By the way I think it would be very good
idea that we make all of our graduate students create their own
web-pages and put their CVs and other documents on it. In this country
we call that professional development (this is not really something
that they learn by writing dissertation and passing Ph.D. quals).

Sincerely,
Predrag Punosevac

P.S. If we get that web-sever for the department use I would really try
to do something more serious and start putting resources for Dynamical
Systems on our machine. The dream is that we become a goto place on the
Internet for the information about Dynamical Systems. Once people hear
about it they will be feeding us information the same way big shoots
are getting info from their pears, co-workers, and Ph.D. students. I
really can not promise that my next paper will go to Acta but the above
is actually duable for bunch of clever people.