SWIG Archives

Software Interest Group

SWIG@LISTSERV.GSU.EDU

From:
Shad Sterling <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Software Interest Group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Aug 2011 13:50:24 -0400

Python comes pre-installed with Ubuntu, why do you need to install it?
 ( packages included in minimal installation: http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/ubuntu-minimal )

Ubuntu has a package manager, why are you installing using build tools?
 ( brief instructions for GUI: http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/switching/applications-installing.html )
 ( detailed instructions for GUI: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto )
 ( instructions for command line: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto )
 ( thorough documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware )

Installation usually requires root privileges; if your account allows it you could use $(sudo make install), but if you install a version of python (or of anything) that is not specifically packaged for your version of Ubuntu it might break your system.

If you need to use a different version of python and don't have access to install it normally, you could put the version you built in your $PATH e.g. with the command $(PATH=~/mypython/:$PATH) (do not insert spaces around the '=').  If you want to have that in your path every time you'll have to add that command to your shell profile ~/.profile .
 ( adding to path howto: http://serverfault.com/questions/44275/how-to-add-a-directory-to-my-path-in-ubuntu )

--
Shad Sterling
Department of Computer Science