SWIG Archives

Software Interest Group

SWIG@LISTSERV.GSU.EDU

From:
Rob Clewley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
software interest group <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 2010 22:17:48 -0500
Hi,

> To my great disappointment there are still no graduate students subscribed to the list.

Really? Me too. There's one way to sort that out. We should make our
grad students join! I will pressure the ones I know who are interested
in computation to join.

> organization meeting but Mrs. Sharon Collins should probably plan to
> talk about the department computing resources within next 2 weeks:-)
>
> It is my great pleasure to announce that we have people from other
> departments. Mr. Art Vandenberg the director of Research, Strategic
> Alignment, Information Systems & Technology at Georgia State University
> is also among us and would probably have to talk soon about Virtual
> Computing Lab http://vcl.ncsu.edu/ and SURAgrid cyberinfrastructure
> initiative.
>
> We also have subscribers from Computer Science department. I am
> hopping to get Physics people on the board as well as some old friends
> from GeTech. Late next week I will send an e-mail with the update on
> number of subscribers.

All this is good to hear, though, and those talks sound great. Maybe
this can be a chance to share some more knowledge with CS - we don't
see them very often and it would be good to build new bridges.

One suggestion about making it easy to add to the pages. Is it a smart
idea to suggest sending you html for basic material, and then you can
drop it into your preferred format and link to it from the front page?
I don't foresee trying to do any fancy styling of the information that
I'd post there. _Maybe_ add a picture or two. But it will be primarily
text and hyperlinks.

Cheers,
Rob

--