MSA Archives

MSA@LISTSERV.GSU.EDU

Mon, 26 Aug 2013 21:51:49 -0400
text/plain (9 kB) , text/html (33 kB) , Dawah Table Flyer.jpg (996 kB) , halaqah.jpg (81 kB) , amyp.jpg (121 kB) , Bismillah.jpg (12 kB) , amyp workshop.jpg (123 kB) , Welcome Back Dinner Flyer.jpg (109 kB) , Jumuah Flyer.jpg (843 kB) , bbq.jpg (86 kB)
*[image: Inline image 1]
*

*Assalamu Alaikum MSA-ers!*

*I) Letter from the President*

Assalaam-u-Alaikum Everyone,

On behalf of the Muslim Students' Association here at Georgia State
University, I would like to welcome new students to GSU and say welcome
back to our old members to a new year!

I hope you all are looking forward to a start of an exciting and successful
term. I am very excited to be working with my board to ensure that the MSA
at GSU caters to the need of its members. My board and I have been working
hard all summer in preparation for the upcoming semester and we hope that
you all will join us in our many events and programs this year. As you all
prepare for a new year, we hope that you all will continue to support the
MSA at GSU and keep us in your prayers, inshAllah.

We hope to see you soon!

Regards,

Hira Mashkoor

* *

*II) Welcome [Back] Dinner*

To our new members, Welcome! And to our returning members, Welcome back to
our annual MSA at GSU's Welcome [Back] Dinner! This year's dinner will be
hosted by the new MSA at GSU board* featuring guest speaker Dr. Mansour
Ansari* and MSA adviser Anita Husen!

The event will take place in the *Student Center Ballroom on Tuesday,
September 3rd from 6-9 PM*. There will be a *$10 entry fee* at the door
that will constitute as your Fall 2013 semester dues as a member with the
MSA at GSU. With your dues you will help contribute to our semesterly
Prayer Room costs (located in the University Center in Room 409) and you
will receive:

- Free entry to all events for the rest of the semester

- A uniquely designed MSA at GSU T-shirt

*Anyone interested in volunteering, please email us at **

PARKING INFORMATION:

Students and guests should be able to park at M Deck (33 Auditorium Place)
or T Deck (43 Auburn Avenue).

• $7.00 for visitors or students without a parking permit or budget card

• $4.50 per entry with a valid GSU student parking permit

• $3.50 per entry with a valid GSU student Parking Budget Card

• $2.25 per entry after 4 PM in all decks and lots with a valid GSU student
parking permit

Also, parking on the street is free after 7pm on weekdays.

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/685938414752952/

 [image: Inline image 2]

*III) Dawah Table*

Come visit us at our MSA Dawah table! This outreach table has great
informational brochures, flyers of upcoming events and free Qur'ans for you
to use and give to your friends and family! Stop by with any questions you
may have about Islam and come learn on your way to class!

 [image: Inline image 3]

*IV) Halaqah*

Come one, come all! Please join us at our *Monday Mixed Halaqahs* led by
none other than Hafiz Yahya Saeed! They will be held *every week* from *1:30
PM - 2:30 PM* in the *University Center in room 402*. The first Halaqah
will be on *September 9th*, Insha’Allah. Plan your schedules accordingly
and come on out!

 [image: Inline image 4]

*V) Jumuah Schedule*

*
*

The Fall Semester Jumuah schedule is here! Come join us every Friday at 2
PM for Jumuah Prayer! Below is the full schedule:

[image: Inline image 5]

*-------------------------------------------------------*

*COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS*

* *

I) Welcome Back BBQ and Eid Picnic

II) AMYP Monthly Meet-Up

III) AMYP & MSA Career Development Workshop

IV) Mentorship Atlanta Meeting

*-------------------------------------------------------*

* *

*I) Welcome Back BBQ and Eid Picnic *

Join the Muslim Student Association, the Arab Cultural Association, and The
Abraham Alliance at UGA as we welcome you back to school and celebrate the
end of Ramadan with an Eid Picnic and BBQ.

We will be serving burgers and lots of yummy food so come prepared to eat
some great food and meet lots of new people. Feel free to bring soccer
balls, footballs, basketballs and Frisbee!

We will see you there, Insha’Allah!

*Where: Myers Hall*

*   **1055 S. Lumpkin St.**,** **Athens, Georgia 30609*

*When: Tuesday, August 27th from 6:00-9:30 PM*

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/597847386903367/?ref=2

[image: Inline image 6]

*--------------------------------------------------------------- ***

*II) **AMYP Monthly Meet-Up  *

Greetings AMYP-ers! It’s time for our next monthly meet-up!

*When: September 5th, 2013 (Thursday) @ 7:00pm
Where: Murry’s in Hurry (Zabihah & Muslim Owned)
                 880 Indian Trail Rd, Lilburn, GA 30047*

http://www.yelp.com/biz/murrays-in-a-hurry-lilburn-2

This will be our go-to location for the next few Monthly Meet-Ups! We'll
have games where no topic is Taboo; where you can be witty with your Catch
Phrase; or whatever the night’s games may bring – so be ready.

Y’all bring your A-game, empty stomachs, and competitive spirit every first
Thursday of the month at 7:00pm. The meeting is free, and you are only
responsible for what you eat. Please feel free to forward the invitation to
friends and bring them. We look forward to seeing you!

As always, the AMYP social committee is open to suggestions for locales for
future monthly meet ups. Email us at [log in to unmask]

Please visit http://www.atlmyp.org/<http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.atlmyp.org%2F&h=1AQGqG5Dh&s=1>
 for more information.

Facebook Link: *https://www.facebook.com/events/309766995827117/?ref=2*

*
*

*[image: Inline image 7]
*

*--------------------------------------------------------------- *

*
*

*III) AMYP & MSA Career Development Workshop *

Join AMYP's MSA Committee as we host a day-long workshop for college
students in the Atlanta area. This informative event will focus on some of
the most important issues facing college graduates as they enter the job
market.

There will be a panel featuring professionals from different fields
including: business, engineering, healthcare, and education.

Our professionals will be helping you with resume critiques, mock
interviews, and networking techniques to help you prepare for a
professional career.

*Where: **Georgia Tech Student Center*

*                 350 Ferst Drive, N.W.**,** **Atlanta, Georgia 30332***

*When: Saturday, September 7th from 1:30-6:00 PM*

*How is this any different from my college's career workshops?*
-This event will give you a Muslim perspective on how to deal with working
in a professional environment.

*Should I bring anything with me?*
-Yes, please bring your most updated resume.

*Will there be a dress code?*
-Yes, we request that all attendees wear business casual attire.

*Do I have to pay to attend?*
-Costs vary based on when you register for the event:
If you register before August 17th, registration is FREE.
August 18th-August 31st, registration is $5.
September 1st-September 7th, registration is $10.

Please make sure to register here:
http://tinyurl.com/AMYPMSA<http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2FAMYPMSA&h=6AQG0lVnQ&s=1>

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/312263652253483/?ref=2

 [image: Inline image 8]

*--------------------------------------------------------------- *

*IV) Mentorship Atlanta Meeting*

In collaboration with "*Open Atlanta*”, *Mentorship Atlanta* invites you to
this great event hosted by Open Atlanta.  This is a great Opportunity for
our group to network with other community groups and meet distinguished
community leaders. We will have a break out session of mentees and mentors
as part of this event.

The cost for this session will be $35 including lunch and annual membership
to Open Atlanta. Mentorship Atlanta will subsidize the cost for our mentees
and *you will only pay $10 *if you are a participating mentee.  *The first
5 mentees to sign up will receive a free pass to the session.*

*When: Saturday September 28th from 10:00am-3:45pm*

*Where: 55 Glenlake Parkway, Atlanta, GA*

Registration process: for mentees, please go to our site:
www.mentorshipatlanta.com and hit the donate button to make payment.

You would need to *let us know via email if you are interested in
attending*and if you are planning to join in order to receive the free
tickets or
receive the discount from Mentorship Atlanta.

For Mentors, please register directly at "Open Atlanta" web site:
www.openatlanta.org . Go under events and push pay now.

If you have any question regarding registration please let us know via
email.

--
*Visit <http://www.gsumsa.com> us at: www.gsumsa.com*
*Email <[log in to unmask]>** us at: **[log in to unmask]**
Add us on Google Plus+ <http://goo.gl/fH1LJ>: http://goo.gl/fH1LJ
Follow us on Instagram <http://instagram.com/msaatgsu>:*
http://instagram.com/msaatgsu*
Follow us on Twitter <https://twitter.com/GSU_MSA>: *
https://twitter.com/GSU_MSA* (@GSU_MSA <https://twitter.com/GSU_MSA>)
**Subscribe to us on YouTube <http://www.youtube.com/user/MSAatGSU>: *
http://www.youtube.com/user/MSAatGSU*
Join our group on Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/groups/gsumsa/>: *
https://www.facebook.com/groups/gsumsa/
Register with the MSA on
OrgSync<https://orgsync.com/join/26490/muslim-student-association>
: https://orgsync.com/join/26490/muslim-student-association **Only
registered members receive the code to the prayer room located at
University Center room 409.**

*Unsubscribe*: If you would like to be removed from the MSA mailing list,

Did you read this email? The first person to reply with their Panther ID #
and name gets waived dues for this semester! (*Newsletters only*)