MSA Archives

MSA@LISTSERV.GSU.EDU

Date:
Thu, 14 Apr 2011 22:00:45 -0400
text/plain (9 kB) , text/html (62 kB) , GDM Atlanta.jpg (432 kB) , bism.gif (432 kB) , Pixel'sFlyer.jpg (344 kB) , Arab_Festival2011.jpg (166 kB) , Helpful Duas for Students.doc (30 kB)
  [image: bism.gif]
*
*
Asalaamu'Alaikum wa Rahmatullah dear MSA Community!

As the semester slowly comes to an end, we pray that everyone does well on
their exams/papers and ends the semester in the best way possible! *Attached
* to this email are various *supplications or dua's for studying*.

To finish the year off right, we will be having *two final events: *

Join us on Thursday, April 21 (one week away), we will be doing a
*Clean-Up*for the much needed
*Masjid Jami*!
Masjid Jami is right around the corner from the GSU campus and it is under
very poor condition. Please bring any cleaning supplies (paper towels, trash
bags, sprays, gloves, brooms and dustpans, magic erasers, air freshners,
etc) with you on this day.
All items can be stored in the Prayer Room. At 4:00pm, we'll meet at the
Prayer Room and walk to Masjid Jami together. iA we will return to the
Prayer Room at 6:00pm. Insha'Allah this will the first clean up of many in
the MSA! Jazak Allah Khair ahead of time, everybody!
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=113681588707920

Also, on Saturday, May 7, we will have a *Spring Picnic* at Centennial
Olympic Park from 12:00pm to 6:00pm. There will be sports (football, soccer,
frisbee, etc) and FOOD! This will be a potluck, so please visit
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=202192626478404&ref=mf and let us know
what you can bring!
 Jazak Allah Khair and thank you for an amazing semester,

GSU MSA

COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS:

1. Fawakih Quranic Arabic Summer Program
2. American Muslim Anthology-- looking for pieces to publish
3. American Muslim Women speak @ GSU
4. Baitul Salaam: Women and Girls Only! Saturday, May 21 1pm-4 pm
5. Qu'ran for the Deaf Benefit Program May 14, 2011 with Wisam Sharieff
6. Zabihah/Halal Option on Campus!
7. FAST-A-THON at Emory on Saturday!
8. Alif Institute's *Atlanta Arab Festival*

1. Fawakih Quranic Arabic Summer Program
*Fawakih Quranic Arabic Summer Program*

The Nation's* leading* & *most affordable* Quranic Arabic Program

*Washington, DC/ Northern Virginia*

Session 1: *June 1-29*
Session 2: *July 5-Aug 3*

*CLASSES:* Tawjid, Quranic vocabulary/grammar, Tafsir,
Evening Enrichment programs
*
INSTRUCTORS**:* Sh. Yahya Rhodus, Sh. Faraz Rabbani, Us. Fahim Qazi,
Us. Faisal Matadar, Imam Mohamed Magid, and more
*

**HOUSING:* Comfortable residential suites available*

applications now open:
 www.Fawakih.com <http://www.fawakih.com/>*

2. American Muslim Anthology

>      *Did you write an inspiring **personal essay/statement for college?*
>
> *Let it inspire** millions of high school seniors for years to come!*
>

>> *
> Be a part of the Muslim-American Anthology!
> **  *
>
>>       *Submit* your personal statement by May 31!
>

>  [log in to unmask] (file name format:
> "lastname_firstname.doc")

For any questions not addressed below in the FAQ, please email the address
above.

>         *FAQ Anthology*
>

> *What is the purpose of this "anthology"? What is an anthology, period?*
>
> \an-ˈthä-lə-jē\  a collection of selected literary pieces or passages or
> works of art or music (Merriam-Webster)
>
> To serve as:

      a)An articulate snapshot of the current generation of Ameri-Muslims.

> b)A how-to guide for Muslim high school seniors navigating the college
> admissions process.* *
>
> *Does my essay have to address and solve my identity crisis?*
>
> No, silly! The essays do not have to focus on Muslim identity issues
> through a specific lens.  Rather, the anthology is meant to exemplify the
> diverse experiences of young American Muslims ranging from the social to the
> spiritual, the political to the cultural, and everything in between.
>
> *I think my essay was terribly written. Do you really think it’s worth
> submitting?*
>
> Unless you were admitted based on a cave painting submission, your essay
> fits into this anthology.
>
> *Oh, I submitted a separate piece of writing (in addition to my personal
> statement) with my college application. Could I submit that, too?*
>
> The only requirement for submission is that the essay was submitted during
> the college application process. Content-wise, the essay should have reflect
> diversely on Islam/being Muslim, but need not be overwhelmingly about Islam
> or Muslims. It should be a unique reflection of a young American Muslim(a)
> trying to package his or her complicated life for the critical eyes of
> admissions officers.
>
> *Where will it be published?*
>
> It will be published by Big Fez Press, an American Muslim publishing house
> based in California.
>
> It will be available on Amazon and mainstream outlets, as well as through
> Muslim outlets.
>
> *Who is the target audience? *
>
> The target audience is anyone interested in the American Muslim experience.
> This book will be especially helpful to young people in high school and
> college.
>
> *What are standards for publications?*
>
> High? Not all essays would be accepted of course. We are looking for the
> best writing by young American Muslims.
>
> The essays will be reviewed and selected by our editors, who include some
> of the best American Muslim writers.
>
> *Who owns the material submitted?*
>
> The writer, of course. The writer still retains the individual copyright.
> The writer grants Big Fez Press the anthology rights to the essay as well as
> the non-exclusive rights to display, copy, publish, transmit, and sell print
> and digital reproductions.
>
> *Is there an entry fee?*
>
> No.
>
> *Will I be paid? *
>
> You will be paid an honorarium for your essay. You will also receive a
> complimentary copy of the publication. If you choose, you could take your
> fee in books. (3 copies)

3. American Muslim Women Speak at GSU

MEDIA ALERT: Muslim American Women Speak

WHO: Four contributors from the new book, I Speak for Myself: American Women
on Being Muslim — Maria Ebrahimji, Amira Choueiki, Jameelah X Medina and
Ayah Ibrahim

WHAT: Panel discussion on "Our National and Religious Identities Are Not at
Odds with One Another" and highlights from the new book

WHEN: Tuesday, April 19 from noon to 1:30 PM

WHERE: Georgia State University in Atlanta, GA

More details can be found on the flyer below or online here. Please contact
me at 202-834-4498 if you would like more information on the new book or
wish to set up an interview with the contributors. In case you missed it,
our news release announcing the book is available online here as well.

We hope you will join us and help us spread the word!

FLIER:
http://www.ispeakformyself.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/ISFM_flyer_letter_lo_res.pdf[image:
?ui=2&ik=989a5ec416&view=att&th=12f44da7c7a8384a&attid=0.1&disp=emb&zw]

4. Baitul Salaam Women and Girls Program May 21 1-4pm

The plan is simple. Bring women and girls together to show love. We will
clear out all donations in our office (clothes, shoes, food, personal care
items, educational books),located at 675 Village Square Dr, Stone Mountain,
GA 30083. We will listen to the Muslim Girl Scouts as they explain their
mentoring program and strongly encourage all with children ages 5-14 to
participate. It is time for the fear to end. We must get to know each other.
No more fear! We are the ummah Allah has put on this earth. We are it for
each other like it or not.  We must unite on all levels, insh'Allah.

We have so many people who need in our community. The recent recession has
changed many lives forever.  This will be a time to get to know your sisters
from other parts of the city and what the Baitul Salaam organization does
daily, insh'Allah. This will be a time to get to know us and each other and
to begin to work together to end anything that bothers us on any level.

If you want to donate food, clothing, shoes, food, personal care items, etc.
to this event call us at 770-255-8500. If you need anything come with a
shopping bag ready to receive with no judgment what so ever.

Please let this be known all over the city. Open to the public.

We will start at 1pm on SATURDAY MAY 21 and end by 4 pm, insh'Allah.

5. Qu'ran for the Deaf Benefit Program May 14, 2011 with Wisam Sharieff

[image: GDM Atlanta.jpg]

6. Zabihah/Halal Option on Campus!

[image: Pixel'sFlyer.jpg]

7. Come out to support the MSA at Emory for the Art Gala & Fast-a-Thon on
Saturday, April 16 at 6:30 at the Tabernacle past Aderhold Learning Center.

[image: Z]

8. Alif Institute's *Atlanta Arab Festival*

 [image: Arab_Festival2011.jpg]