MSA Archives

MSA@LISTSERV.GSU.EDU

Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2012 15:05:49 -0700
text/plain (9 kB) , text/html (12 kB) , wish for palestine.jpg (82 kB) , complicated.jpg (55 kB) , dua.jpg (35 kB) , final coa.png (390 kB) , The 99 Flier.jpg (43 kB) , bismillah.jpg (12 kB) , ERIC_FLYER_3.jpg (58 kB)
[image: Inline image 8]

*Semi-Monthly Hadith*

Al-Bara' bin `Azib (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: A man was
reciting Surat Al-Kahf, and a horse was tied with two ropes beside him. As
he was reciting, a cloud overshadowed him, and as it began to come nearer
and nearer, the horse began to trample violently. The man came to the
Messenger of Allah (PBUH) in the morning and mentioned the incident to him.
He (PBUH) said, "That was tranquility which descended as a result of the
recitation of the Qur'an.''

*I) EID MUBARAK!!!*

Assalamu’ Alaikum GSU MSA members!

Please accept our apologies for sending the email without all the flyers
the first time. The MSA at GSU would like to wish you a very happy Eid! We
pray to Allah (swt) that the joy of Eid lasts in your hearts all the way
until the next Eid. We have a few very important announcements for you this
month, and in case you are still in 'Eid Party' mode, we have some
information about celebration events happening nearby in the community
announcements section.

*II) Urgent - Open Board Positions for Spring 2013*

We are currently looking to fill several board positions for Spring 2013 as
some of our current officers are graduating. Please see the list and
descriptions below:

*1. Treasurer:* In charge of the finances of GSU MSA. Must keep track of
bank account as well as school account, be able to plan and keep a budget,
pay prayer room rent, file reimbursements, and work with other members to
coordinate budgets for MSA related events, projects, and more. *Freshman or
Sophomore strongly preferred.*

*2. Secretary:* Organizes the general activities of MSA. Must keep track of
meeting minutes, notifying members of meetings, and being up to date on MSA
activities. Must be prompt, organized,  and efficient.

*3. OrgSync/Email Coordinator:* In charge of OrgSync and MSA email account.
Must regularly update MSA OrgSync website with upcoming events and
announcements. Must check and organize MSA email account on a daily basis.
Must construct a bi-monthly newsletter to send out to the GSU MSA listserv
which serves over 850 people.

*4. AMYP Representative:* Represents the GSU MSA at AMYP (Atlanta Muslim
Young Professionals) events. Must attend AMYP events and work with AMYP
board to coordinate events and announcements. Attendance at all AMYP events
is not required. *Strongly prefer Junior or Senior.*

If you are interested in any of the above positions, please submit your
resume by *Sunday, November 4th*. All applicants will be contacted after
that to schedule an interview. *We encourage every member interested in any
or several of the positions to apply. All applicants have an equal
opportunity!*

As always, please feel free to contact us at [log in to unmask] with any
questions or comments!

*III) Panel on the new Egyptian Government*

Please join us for a panel discussion on how the government transition has
affected Egypt’s two major religious groups, Muslims and Coptic Christians.
This will take place on *Thursday, November 8th from Noon – 1 pm at Urban
Life Building room 170*. There will be a *free taco bar* at the event.

[image: Inline image 7]

*IV) Children of Abraham: Final Event*

Please join us on *Wednesday, November 14* for the final event of the
Children of Abraham Interfaith series of the semester. There will be *free
food and fun games* for all who attend. This will take place at the *University
center room 470 from 11 am - 3 pm.*

[image: Inline image 5]

*COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS*

1. Helping Hands Aid Effort: Hurricane Sandy
2. Community Eid Dinners/Parties
3. A wish for palestine at UGA
4. Al Maghrib class: Complicated? (Women's Modern Fiqh)
5. AUSACE Conference 2012

*1. Hurricane Sandy - Duaa for Rain, Thunder & Wind*

Dua recommended by the Prophet Muhammad (Peace and Blessings of Allah be
upon him) at the time of rain, thunder and wind:

[image: Inline image 4]

The ICNA Relief Disaster Response Team is monitoring Hurricane Sandy very
carefully and have issued a press release announcing an initial fund
allocation of $100,000 for Hurricane Sandy relief efforts.

Please make dua, prayers and ask Allah to save us from this storm. As a
member of NVOAD (National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster) and
as members of many local and state VOAD’s, we are attending conference
calls and sketching out our plans.

Register to volunteer. ICNA Relief USA uses all its financial and human
resources in a very responsible manner.
Click here<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001z28t4YxyHInUHKBswy4UWpmECXzYL5iXUpXLTFlUwo1Wyo6UrM1xXgTSbeTLK7CXnYO7QpB1WcM_BFfyOAgayJJganqQLAGDkj6GuKyKFC4VjDGeh_GUIF90OjevpVWcuXK7n72RL_-PU0U88llIwtafdtmYMam5q6n5ONPdZuFyuA1nhULLqdhNQfPSfTakYtMKa9avoyA=>to
volunteer.

ICNA Relief USA is the only Muslim organization selected to participate in
major federally funded disaster recovery programs. It is only with your
support and prayers that we can help those in need in at the time of this
disaster.

Wassalam,

ICNA Relief Disaster Response Team
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
www.icnarelief.org
Phone: (718) 658-7028 | Disaster Support Hotline (888) 616-6865
87-91 144th Street | Jamaica | NY 11435

*2. Upcoming Eid Celebration Events Around Georgia*

Come one, Come all. Spread the word, spread the joy!

KSU (Nov 1st): http://www.facebook.com/events/168235639982617/

AMYP Annual Eid Dinner (Nov 3rd):
http://www.facebook.com/events/265343533575480/

UGA (Nov 4th): http://www.facebook.com/events/121878994632972/

Oxford College (Nov 5th): http://www.facebook.com/events/157479384398514/

Agnes Scott College (Nov 6th):
http://www.facebook.com/events/272297756224106/

*3. A Wish for Palestine*

The University of Georgia's Arab Cultural Association, Muslim Student
Association, and Athens for Justice in Palestine have come together to
present the second annual A Wish for Palestine. A Wish for Palestine is a
fundraiser luncheon that will take place on November 11, 2012 at Tate Grand
Hall. Please join our organizations and invite everyone you know as we
raise funds for the Palestine Children's Relief Fund (P.C.R.F).

The event will feature a speech by Lebanese-American activist Mansour
Ansari and a p
resentation by Imad Nasseredin of the Atlanta chapter of PCRF.

Doors will open at 2:00. Middle Eastern food will be served.

TICKET PRICES: $6 for UGA students, $8 for students of other schools, and
$10 for the general public. Please bring your school ID when you purchase a
ticket if you are a student! Tickets will be on sale by November 2.

Tickets can be purchased through UGA's Tate ticketing office! Limited
tickets will be sold at the door. Please come with your
checkbooks/cash/other forms of money if you would like to make a donation
to the P.C.R.F. The P.C.R.F will also be selling hand-embroidered Middle
Eastern items that range in price from $5-$50. The profits from this
merchandise will go to a refugee camp in Lebanon.

The P.C.R.F. is a registered non-political, non-profit, 501(c)3 tax-exempt
organization that was established in 1991 to address the medical and
humanitarian crisis facing Palestinian youths in the Middle East. The
P.C.R.F. provides many life-saving surgeries to Middle Eastern children in
need. This event cannot take place without the support of our community.
The P.C.R.F is truly an amazing organization, and if you'd like more
information, please visit their website: http://www.pcrf.net/.

[image: Inline image 3]

*4. Complicated? (Women's Modern Fiqh)*

The number one most complicated matter in regards to women is the Fiqh of
Women. But it doesn’t have to be. AlMaghrib Institute introduces a
well-deserved and long-awaited seminar dedicated to the Muslim Woman.

Go here for more details: http://qsalaam.org/?p=939

[image: Inline image 2]

*5. AUSACE Conference 2012 *

This is a conference on Arab journalism and communication that will take
place from Nov 16 – 19 at Georgia State University. As part of the
conference, we'll be showing the film "Wam! Bam! Islam!" and having a panel
discussion.  We're also looking for student volunteers for the conference.
Volunteering at this event is a great opportunity to build connections from
around the world, especially for students studying journalism, media,
communications, political science, international relations, and Arabic.
Please email Matt Duffy at [log in to unmask] if interested. We'll have
about 50 Arabic scholars visiting from around the world. For more
information, visit: www.ausace2012.com

[image: Inline image 1]

Wishing you a very happy Eid one more time.
Salaam,

- MSA at GSU

--
Visit us at GSUMSA.com! Be sure to register with the MSA on OrgSync! Only
registered members receive the code to the prayer room located at

The MSA at GSU is now on Twitter and YouTube! Follow us on Twitter @GSU_MSA
and we'll follow you back insha'Allah!
Subscribe to us on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/user/MSAatGSU
And join our Facebook group at: http://www.facebook.com/groups/2201839796/

Unsubscribe: If you would like to be removed from the MSA mailing list,

Did you read this email? The first person to reply with their Panther ID #
and name gets waived dues for this semester! (Newsletters only)