MSA Archives

MSA@LISTSERV.GSU.EDU

Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2014 13:28:34 -0500
text/plain (14 kB) , text/html (47 kB) , monthly meet up.jpg (47 kB) , medina inst.jpg (18 kB) , MISTTT.jpg (67 kB) , welcome back dinner.jpg (79 kB) , prayer.jpg (104 kB) , weekly hala.jpg (97 kB) , poo.jpg (28 kB) , dawah table.jpg (88 kB)
Asalaamualaikum MSA-ers,

On behalf of MSA here at GSU, I would like to welcome everyone back to
school for the spring semester! Insha'Allah, I hope everyone had a chance
to enjoy the holiday season with loved ones. This season marks the last
semester for the current MSA administration. Before we end the academic
year however, we have many exciting events and programs planned for you all
in the upcoming months! We hope that you will take the time out of your
busy lives and join us as we host these events. Our goal as the MSA at GSU
is to meet the needs and concerns of our community. Please reach out to me
or any of my board members with any suggestions, questions, or concerns
that you may have regarding the MSA.

I hope everyone has an incredible semester. May this one be your best yet,
Insha 'Allah. Please keep your MSA brothers and sisters in your duas as we
start a new year!

Regards,

Hira Mashkoor

President

1. *Jumu'ah Schedule *

The Spring Semester schedule for Jumu'ah is here! Come join us *every
Friday at 2PM* for Jumu'ah prayer. Below is the full schedule.

 [image: Inline image 1]

2. *Weekly Halaqahs*

Welcome back to GSU everybody! We hope your Spring Semester is going well
Alhamdullilah, and that it shall be successful insha'Allah. That being
said, our Halaqahs will be starting back up again *Tuesday, February 4th
from 12 -1 PM*. It will be taking place *every Tuesday* this semester in
the *interfaith room* *University Center 402 *so try and be there!!!

 [image: Inline image 2]

3. *Da'wah Table*

Come Learn about Islam. Free Qur'ans and informational brochures. At the
library plaza every *Monday and Thursday from 12-1 PM.*

Hold a door; lend a hand, Say Good Morning. Smile! -dawahtip

 [image: Inline image 3]

4) *Welcome Back Dinner*

Introducing a collaborative event between the Muslim Students Association
at Georgia State University & the Georgia Tech Muslim Students Association,
we welcome you all to our Welcome Back Dinner!!!

This semester we will be featuring the Palestine Children's Relief Fund
under the theme of Zakah: the Power of Giving. This event will take place
at Georgia State University's Student Center Ballroom on Monday, February
10th from 6 PM to 9 PM.

*This event will have a $5 entry for dinner to this one-time event* *or pay
$10 for access to this event and all future GSU MSA events this semester*.
A portion of the proceeds from this event will be going to the PCRF
organization but additional contributions will be encouraged and welcomed.

Visit PCRF - Palestine Children's Relief
Fund<https://www.facebook.com/pages/PCRF-Palestine-Childrens-Relief-Fund/114319561948157>
for
more information on what they're all about and be sure to join MSA @
GSU<https://www.facebook.com/groups/gsumsa/>
 and GT MSA <https://www.facebook.com/groups/msagatech/>'s Facebook Groups
to receive more information on future events. Also be sure to follow or
subscribe to all of their other social media outlets like Twitter,
Instagram, YouTube, and Google+!

 [image: Inline image 4]

*Facebook Link*: https://www.facebook.com/events/216564378548054/

*COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS*

1)     Monthly Meet-Up: Giving Back to Humanity Donations

2)     AMYP Giving Back to Humanity Volunteers

3)     MSA at GT Islamic Awareness Month!

4)     Expanding
the Boundaries of Islamic Education: Knowledge as Problem Solving in
Modern Muslim Society

5)     MIST ATLANTA 2014

 1)  *Monthly Meet-Up: Giving Back to Humanity Donations*

Atlanta Muslim Young Professionals <https://www.facebook.com/ATLMYP>'
Community Outreach & Social Committees are partnering to make 2014 MMUs the
best ones yet! We will be collecting donations for Giving Back to
Humanity<https://www.facebook.com/pages/Giving-Back-to-Humanity/194967110568774>
at
the February MMU for the Giving Back to Humanity Volunteer
Event<https://www.facebook.com/events/200414536817907/>.
Please bring warm clothes, blankets, sweaters, etc and we will take them to
GbtH on Feb 9th.

When: *February 6th, 2013 (1st Thursday of the month) @ 7:00pm*
Where*: Samad Mediterranean Grill & Market (Zabihah & Muslim Owned)*
*8898 Roswell Rd, Sandy Springs GA 30350*
*Located in the North River Shopping Center*
Online at http://www.samadgrill.com/

Y'all bring your A-game, empty stomachs, and competitive spirit *every
first Thursday of the month at 7:00pm*. We've got taboo, poker, uno,
catchphrase, headbands, and more games to connect with other AMYP members
with fun.

The meeting is free, and you are only responsible for what you eat. Please
feel free to forward the invitation to friends and bring them. We look
forward to seeing you!

 [image: Inline image 5]

*Facebook Link*:
https://www.facebook.com/events/309766995827117/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

2)    *AMYP Giving Back to Humanity Volunteers *

 *Sunday Feb. 9th 10am-2pm*

Salaam AMYP! We are excited to kick off out first Community Outreach
Committee event of 2014 while supporting an awesome Organization -Giving
Back to Humanity. Giving Back to Humanity seeks to improve the standard of
living and promote self - sufficiency for the less fortunate by providing
food, clothing, shelter, educational programs, job training, family
planning, and counseling services. By providing these services, we will
give confidence, encouragement, and support to those who need it most.

We are looking for at least *15 volunteers* to come support this great
cause! *The event will start at 10am* and we will have a quick AMYP meeting
and learn about the cause and discuss what we want to get out volunteering
with COC this year!

We will help set up and sort clothes, then help with Food Distribution, and
clean up! *We should wrap up around 2pm*.  We really look forward to seeing
you there and letting the community know how much AMYP cares!

[image: Inline image 6]

*Facebook Link:*
https://www.facebook.com/events/200414536817907/?notif_t=plan_user_invited

*If you are planning on going -- please sign up here: *http://goo.gl/ddblwB

 3) *MSA at GT Islamic Awareness Month!*

 Salaam everyone! We're so excited to announce what we have planned for
Islamic Awareness Month 2014. Check out the events below

*Thursday Feb. 20th*:
-Islamic Culture Fest- 11am-2pm on the Campanile -- A display of religious
and cultural exhibits from various Islamic countries to show the diversity
of Muslims! Food, music, art, etc will be included. *If you'd like to
volunteer or represent your country, please contact **Sharlene Khan
<https://www.facebook.com/SharleneKhanYaeeAH>!*
https://www.facebook.com/events/204852996375446/?ref=2&ref_dashboard_filter=
upcoming

*New Muslim Cool Movie Screening-*

* 6:45-9 pm Student Center Theater* -- There will be chips and salsa and
drinks provided! About the movie: Puerto Rican American rapper Hamza Pérez
ended his life as a drug dealer 12 years ago, and started down a new path
as a young Muslim. Now he's moved to Pittsburgh's tough North Side to start
a new religious community, rebuild his shattered family, and take his
message of faith to other young people through his uncompromising music as
part of the hip-hop duo M-Team. But when the FBI raids his mosque, Hamza
must confront the realities of the post-9/11 world, and challenge himself.
He starts reaching for a deeper understanding of his faith, discovering new
connections with people from Christian and Jewish communities.

*Monday Feb. 24th and Wednesday Feb. 26th*:
-*Unveiling the Veil- Student Center room 319 (monday) 5-6:30pm, Student
Center room 343 (wednesday) 5-6 pm *-- The purpose of the event is to
educate and provide a better understanding about what the hjiab (headscarf)
is. Monday's event introduces the hijab and what it stands for and we'll
show the many different cool ways you can wear it. For the girls who feel
comfortable enough, we ask that they wear it for the next two days, until
the Wednesday meeting, to experience what it's like to wear the hijab in a
non-Muslim setting. Wednesday when we meet again, everyone will get a
chance to discuss how they felt wearing it, how they were perceived, the
difficulty or lack of it they may have faced, etc. Snacks will be provided.

*Thursday Feb. 27th*:
-*Islamic History Seminar- Student Center Room 320 3-4:30 pm *--How much do
you really know about Islam's past? About how it spread throughout many
different countries? About the institutional and spiritual formations of
Muslims, political structures, literary and
artistic creations of Islamic civilization, war and conquest, travel and
trade? Take a journey to the past and come learn from our very own GT
professor Dr. Bier! Snacks will be provided.
https://www.facebook.com/events/278839728936036/?ref_dashboard_filter=upcom
ing

*Wednesday March 5th*:
-*Fast-A-Thon- Student Center Ballroom 6:30-9:30 pm *-- Come join us for a
banquet dinner with friends of various faiths as we get together to
experience fasting and help raise money for charity! For each person that
fasts, local restaurants and businesses will donate $1 towards a specific
cause. We will also have a wonderful guest speaker who will be joining us!
More details on the speaker and the charity to which the money is going to
coming soon.

*Facebook Link*:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1377719159160931/?notif_t=plan_user_invited

--------------------------------

4)
*Expanding the Boundaries of Islamic Education: Knowledge as Problem
Solving in Modern Muslim Society*

Madina Institute U.S.A <https://www.facebook.com/MadinaInstituteUS> is very
excited to launch a new bi-weekly class *starting next Wednesday, 1/29*,
titled "Knowledge is the Believer's Camel: Social Issues in Modern Muslim
Society." The class will be taught by our very own *Dr. Abbas Barzegar,
Islamic Studies Professor at Georgia State University and will start after
Evening (Isha) prayer at Madina Institute at 7:30pm @ 4991 Burns Rd,
Lilburn, GA 30650.**

Course Summary:

Muslim scholars and intellectuals in modern society have experimented with
a range of strategies, both practical and theoretical, to address the needs
and issues of their communities and those around them. Topics of relevance
for this course include defining an Islamic economics, thinking critically
about Islamic family values and ethics, addressing domestic violence,
alleviating poverty, and developing relevant Islamic education. This course
is designed as a survey practicum where, in collaboration, the instructor
and students will review relevant literature, conduct expert interviews,
and produce a resource database on the issues reviewed in class. Students
are asked to attend regularly, complete the assigned reading, and
participate in data collection.

This is the first class of six total of the new course, titled "Expanding
the boundaries of Islamic Education: Knowledge as problem solving in Modern
Muslim society."

Madina Institute courses taught by Dr. Abbas Barzegar are unique because he
mirrors his academic course structure and approach in the mosque setting.
Those from a Western academic background will find that this course is more
comparable to a college class as oppose to a traditionally taught course at
our Masajid.

This course is FREE and registration is not required, however we do ask
that everyone attends all 6 classes, completes assigned readings and
participates actively!

About Dr. Abbas Barzegar:

Dr. Barzegar graduated from Emory with his PhD in Religious Studies in 2010
and has been an Assistant Professor at Georgia State since. He is a Fellow
at the Institute for Social Policy & Understanding and has co-authored the
book, Islamism: Contested Perspectives on Political Islam. Dr. Barzegar
also serves on the Advisory Committee of the Atlanta Muslim Young
Professionals <https://www.facebook.com/ATLMYP> (AMYP) and is a Founder of
the After Malcolm Project. He has appeared on Fox News (specifically
Hannity) and other networks.

[image: Inline image 8]

*Facebook Link*: https://www.facebook.com/events/735269306490870/?source=1

5)  *MIST ATLANTA 2014*

 MIST Atlanta 2014 will be *on March 7-9, 2014*, and held at, *Agnes Scott
College in Decatur, GA*

*REGISTRATION HAS ALREADY STARTED*, so get your teams together! The
*registration
deadline is February 7, 2014*.

[image: Inline image 7]

*Registration Link*: https://web.adderpit.com/MIST

*More Information*: http://www.getmistified.com/atlanta

*Facebook Link*:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1375680329240088/?notif_t=plan_user_<https://www.facebook.com/events/1375680329240088/?notif_t=plan_user_invited>

*Visit <http://www.gsumsa.com/> us at: www.gsumsa.com
<http://www.gsumsa.com/>*
*Email <[log in to unmask]>** us at: **[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>*

* Add us on Google Plus+ <http://goo.gl/fH1LJ>: http://goo.gl/fH1LJ
<http://goo.gl/fH1LJ> Follow us on Instagram
<http://instagram.com/msaatgsu>:* http://instagram.com/msaatgsu
* Follow us on Twitter <https://twitter.com/GSU_MSA>: *
https://twitter.com/GSU_MSA
* (@GSU_MSA <https://twitter.com/GSU_MSA>) **Subscribe to us on YouTube
<http://www.youtube.com/user/MSAatGSU>: *
http://www.youtube.com/user/MSAatGSU
* Join our group on Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/groups/gsumsa/>: *
https://www.facebook.com/groups/gsumsa/
Register with the MSA on
OrgSync<https://orgsync.com/join/26490/muslim-student-association>
: https://orgsync.com/join/26490/muslim-student-association **Only
registered members receive the code to the prayer room located at
University Center room 409.**

*Unsubscribe*: If you would like to be removed from the MSA mailing list,

Did you read this email? The first person to reply with their Panther ID #
and name gets waived dues for this semester! (*Newsletters only*)