MSA Archives

MSA@LISTSERV.GSU.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Mailing list for the Muslim Student Association at GSU <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2013 20:50:08 -0400
text/plain (16 kB) , text/html (51 kB) , Eid Dinner Flyer.jpg (108 kB) , CoA Interfaith.jpg (766 kB) , Boss.jpg (65 kB) , Al-Maghrib.jpg (42 kB) , AMYP.jpg (121 kB) , GA MSA Council Picnic.jpg (71 kB) , Bismillah.jpg (12 kB) , Sirat.jpg (92 kB) , Fawakih.jpg (126 kB)
[image: Inline image 1]

*Assalamu Alaikum MSA-ers!*

We hope that all is well with you and that classes are going well! Tomorrow
we have our Children of Abraham event. Take a study break and come join us
at this wonderful gathering! Also, check out our very first YouTube video
of this year! May Allah reward you all immensely for your ongoing efforts.*
*

*I) Children of Abraham - Faith in College*

Folks, it’s that time of the year again! MSA is pairing up with other
religious organizations on campus to bring you yet another Children of
Abraham event!

College is not only a time to learn and grow, but it is also a chance to
discover new things about one’s faith. It is a place to develop
relationships and experience new things in light of one’s religious views
and values. This event is a chance to *discuss all the ways students
maintain and strengthen their faiths in light of different college
experiences*. Whether those religious values help shape one’s approach to
relationships or outlook on life, those values can always transform in
light of new experiences.

So please come join *MSA, InterVarsity, BCM, CSA, and Hillel, **TOMORROW**,
* for an afternoon of rich discussion with some amazing food!

*When: Wednesday, October 2nd, from 12:00-2:30 PM
*

*Where: University Center Room 460/465*

*
*

Facebook Link:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1395054580723955/?notif_t=group_mall_plan

[image: Inline image 2]

*II) Eid Extravaganza: Arabian Nights *

Come one, come all to the Muslim Students Association's Eid Extravaganza!
The theme will be Arabian Nights this year and it will be a new and
exciting event to be at! We will be hosting the event in Georgia State
University's very own *Student Center Ballroom *on *Tuesday, October 22nd,*from
*6:00 PM until 9:00 PM*.

We will be featuring *fantastic speakers*, *creative henna artists*, *skillful
calligraphy artists*, and of course a *spectacular, tasty
dinner*celebrating another wonderful Eid!

There will be a *$10 entry fee* at the door for those that have NOT paid
yet this semester that will constitute as your Fall 2013 dues as a member
with the MSA @ GSU. With your dues you will help contribute to our
semesterly Prayer Room costs (located in the University Center in Room 409)
and you will receive:

- Free entry to all events for the rest of the semester
- A uniquely designed MSA at GSU T-shirt

*Anyone interested in volunteering, please email us at **[log in to unmask]**!*

PARKING INFORMATION:

Students and guests should be able to park at M Deck (33 Auditorium Place)
or T Deck (43 Auburn Avenue).

• $7.00 for visitors or students without a parking permit or budget card
• $4.50 per entry with a valid GSU student parking permit
• $3.50 per entry with a valid GSU student Parking Budget Card
• $2.25 per entry after 4 PM in all decks and lots with a valid GSU student
parking permit

Also, parking on the street is free after 7pm on weekdays.

We would also like to express a very fantastic Eid to you all and would
like to say Eid Mubarak!

Facebook Link: *
https://www.facebook.com/events/169664449901876/?ref=2&ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming
*

*
*

*[image: Inline image 3]
*

*III) YouTube Video*

Please check out our *first* YouTube video of the semester, The Welcome
Back Dinner!

And if you haven’t already done so, please subscribe to the MSA @ GSU
YouTube channel!

Link to Video:* **http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVggPIzrqlg*

*
*

*-------------------------------------------------------*

*COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS*

1) AMYP Monthly Meet-Up: BOOKS FOR AFRICA

2) Georgia MSA Council Fall 2013 Picnic

3) Sirat-e-Rasool SAW Conference

4) Fawakih Institute: Year-Round Quranic Arabic

5) "DINNER WITH A BOSS" Round 2

6) AMYP's Books for Africa Volunteer Day

7) Muslim Day at Grant Park

8) Shadows in the Sun: The Living Legacy of the Sahabas

*-------------------------------------------------------*

*1) Monthly Meet-Up: BOOKS FOR AFRICA*

Monthly Meet Ups (MMU) at Murray's in a Hurry are AMYP's ultimate social.
Come out for a night of good socializing and networking, and competitive
games! The *meeting is free*, and you are only responsible for what you
eat. In addition, come learn about our upcoming community outreach
event, *Books
for Africa*! Please feel free to forward the invitation to friends and
bring them. We look forward to seeing you!

*When: October 3rd, 2013 (Thursday) @ 7:00pm
Where: Murry’s in Hurry (Zabihah & Muslim Owned)
                880 Indian Trail Rd, Lilburn, GA 30047*

As always, the AMYP social committee is open to suggestions for locales for
future monthly meet ups. Email us at [log in to unmask]

Please visit http://www.atlmyp.org/<http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.atlmyp.org%2F&h=1AQGqG5Dh&s=1>
 for more information.**

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/309766995827117/?ref=2

[image: Inline image 4]

*--------------------------------------------------------------- ***

*2) Georgia MSA Council Fall 2013 Picnic*

The Georgia MSA Council invites all Muslim students in the state of Georgia
to our annual fall picnic!
Take this opportunity to *meet & socialize* with your fellow MSA members
with *free food* and *a sports tournament*!

The event is *pot-luck* , *please sign-up here* if you are bringing
something:
https://docs.google.com/a/gamsacouncil.com/forms/d/18UEUZ2EkIKu0CrU5-eUmgQ3alDzt3QHSFwau0-38V-s/viewform

*Parking info*:
HTTP://WWW.CENTENNIALPARK.COM/INDEX.PHP/PLAN-YOUR-VISIT/HOURS-DIRECTIONS/PARKING<http://www.centennialpark.com/INDEX.PHP/PLAN-YOUR-VISIT/HOURS-DIRECTIONS/PARKING>

*Participating MSA's:*

AGNES SCOTT, AUC, EMORY, GSU, GA TECH, GPC, KSU, MERCER, UGA, OGLETHORPE,
OXFORD, & MORE!

*Activities*: Tug- Of –War, Flag-football, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee,
Council Henna Fundraiser

*Where: Centennial Olympic Park*

*                265 Park Ave West NW, Atlanta, GA 30313*

*When: Saturday, October 5th, at 3:00 PM***

Facebook Link:
https://www.facebook.com/events/124246064412542/?ref=2&ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

[image: Inline image 5]

*--------------------------------------------------------------- ***

*3) Sirat-e-Rasool SAW Conference *

*Minhaj-ul-Qur'an Atlanta* invites you to a once in a life time event with
two of the top Shayukh of our time,* Shaykh-ul-Islam* *Dr. Muhammad
Tahir-ul-Qadri* and *Shaykh Muhammad Yahya an-Ninowy*. Joining them will be
world renowned Nasheed artist, *Milad Raza Qadri*.

Don't miss out on this blessed opportunity to benefit from these renowned
scholars!

This is a *free families event*. *Babysitting will be provided at
cost*. *Special
discount on hotel rooms* for conference guests!

*When: Saturday, October 5th, at 4:30 PM*

*Where: Gwinnett Center*

*    6400 Sugarloaf Pkwy, Duluth, GA 30097*

*For event and hotel information contact:*

404-285-0642
404-933-3303
404-797-0361
404-680-5602
404-680-2323

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/497450073675211/?ref=2

[image: Inline image 6]

*--------------------------------------------------------------- ***

*4) Fawakih Institute: Year-Round Quranic Arabic*

The Quranic Arabic curriculum at Fawakih caters to students of all levels.
Those who are familiar with reading the Arabic script at the Introductory
Level 1 with little background, if any, in grammar or reading comprehension
of the Qur’an and who may not be able to produce Arabic in writing or in
speech; who are able to read straightforward texts at the Intermediate
Level 2 with the regular use of a dictionary, can identify grammatical
parts of speech; who are proficient at reading challenging texts at the
Advanced Level 3; and who are proficient at reading nuanced texts at the
Advanced Level 4; and those who can begin to analyze tafsir and classical
Arabic texts at Advanced Levels 5 and 6. The Program is structured around
the required textbooks and employs a skills- based approach to language
acquisition. In addition, the course will emphasize parsing and morphology
in theory and in practice and translation as a primary method to ensure
comprehension at every stage. Through mastery of Arabic grammar,
morphology, reading, and vocabulary, the course facilitates language
acquisition through both active and passive engagement.

*FAST FACTS:*
Beginner Quranic Arabic (levels 1 and 2) will meet every Thursday starting
October 10th, and ending on April 24th, 2014 at Georgia Tech. (All new
students will take Fawakih's online diagnostic test to gauge their Quranic
Arabic background)

Intermediate Quranic Arabic (level 3) will meet every Tuesday starting
October 8th, and ending on April 22nd, 2014 at Medinah Institute.

*All major holiday and school related breaks are off* (Thanksgiving, Winter
Break, and Semester Break off)

Integrated online classroom support (testing, exercise answer keys,
tutorial videos)

Exact course location will be announced once minimum number of students
enroll

The* tuition payment includes $150 for books and course materials*.
Students will also receive login information regarding our online testing
system. This system is used to provide students with feedback and allows
them to monitor their progress throughout the year.

Tuition Refund Policy
**No refunds after payment
***Fawakih's policy does not allow attendence of the course without prior
registration*

*Atlanta Quranic Arabic Instructors*

*Residential:*
Level 1- Ustadha Aliya Naim, B.A. in International Affairs and Arabic
Language from University of Georgia
Level 2- Ustadh Kassim Zaid, Fawakih Instructor
Level 2- Ustadh Sami Ahmed, graduate of Qasid Arabic program
Level 3- Ustadh Muhammad Mendes, Fawakih Resident Arabic and Tafsir
Instructor

*Visiting (tentative):*
Ustadh Fahim Qazi, author of "Quranic Linguistics" textbook series
Ustadh Hisham Mahmoud, lecturer of Arabic at Harvard University
Ustadh Omer Kamal, lecturer at Masjid al-Farooq
Ustadh Saif Omar, Executive Director Fawakih
Ustadh Ismail ibn Ali, Deputy Executive Director Fawakih

Further information about each instructor can be found on the Fawakih
website: *www.fawakih.com<http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fawakih.com&h=0AQEwVHpB&enc=AZMQ9tQxv5ft0v2_hogyve2GpRFVCSWn5Q_PLlS5o8B0jNehse0nvd0KPc1TU-wg-eU&s=1>
*

*Schedule:*
A) Tuesday (Intermediate) or Thursday (Beginner) (25 sessions)
     Classical Text Reading 7:00– 7:50pm

     Morphology 8:00– 8:50pm

     Grammar 9:00 – 9:50pm

B) Arabic Intensive Schedule on select weekends (1 weekend per semester)
     Morning Session 10:00am – 12:30pm

     Afternoon Session 2:00pm – 4:30pm

Email: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask] with questions, syllabus
will be posted online prior to course start.

*SEATING IS LIMITED! REGISTER HERE NOW*:
http://atlantaarabic.eventbrite.com/
*DEADLINE TO REGISTER: Tuesday, October 1, 2013*

* *

Facebook Link:
https://www.facebook.com/events/337575663055696/?ref=2&ref_dashboard_filter=upcoming

[image: Inline image 7]

*--------------------------------------------------------------- *

*5) "DINNER WITH A BOSS" Round 2 *

You've just received invitation to have dinner with the boss. Do you have
what it takes to grow your network?

Dinner with a Boss will not only give you an *opportunity to sharpen your
networking skills*, but will *expose you to top industry leaders*. Find out
what it takes to become the next boss from the Boss.

This month's Boss's include *Henna Inam*, *Dr. Aziz Arif*, and a previous
AMYP hit *Ehab Jaleel*. Let us know who you'd like to spend the most time
with and we'll do our best to match you. You will have some time with each
boss so nothing to worry about.

Get ready for a fun night of laid back professional socializing. Your
Maghrib salah will be accommodated, we will have *games* along with *
conversations* that will ignite some sparks for your personal growth in
your own career, and *delicious food* at the one and only *Aja
restaurant*located in the heart of
*Atlanta's Buckhead area*.

*When: Saturday, October 12, from 7:00-10:00 PM*

*Where: Aja Restaurant*

*                3500 Lenox Rd, Atlanta, GA 30326*

*Ticket Information:*

ONLY 35 seats available: (1st come 1st serve)

· Members @ $40.00

· Non-members @ $50.00

· Membership & Dinner @ $65.00

http://www.atlmyp.org/dwab2/

*Dinner is included in the ticket cost*. Seafood and vegetarian entrees
will be available alongside a non-Zabiha menu.

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/155130871360421/?ref=2

[image: Inline image 8]

*--------------------------------------------------------------- *

*6) AMYP's Books for Africa Volunteer Day *

Join *AMYP's Community Outreach Committee* on *Saturday, October 19th*, as
we *help sort and package books* to send to students in need all throughout
Africa! We will be *meeting at the Books for Africa Warehouse at 10:30 AM
EST* for a quick volunteer meeting before we *get to work at 11:00AM EST*.
Come out and support a great cause while having fun and showing the
community how much AMYP cares! If you're unable to attend, but would still
like to contribute, *we will be collecting books for donation at the
October Monthly Meet-up*.

*When: Saturday, October 19th at 10:30 AM*

*Where: Books for Africa Warehouse
                 2971 Olympic Industrial Drive SE, Suite C, Smyrna, GA 30080
*

* *

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/715864558430847/

*--------------------------------------------------------------- *

*7) Muslim Day at Grant Park*

Join us for the *annual Muslim Day* at Grant Park. *Bring the whole family
for Islamic Food, Fun, and a city wide community of Muslims*. This Annual
event lends itself to a good time for the whole family. Enjoy music,
vendors, games and more!

 *When: October 19th at 10:00 AM - October 20th at 6:00 PM*

*Where: Grant Park*

*                840 Cherokee Ave SE, Atlanta, GA 30315*

*
*

Be there early to get a good spot.

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/503071713118015/?ref=2**

*--------------------------------------------------------------- *

*8) Shadows in the Sun: The Living Legacy of the Sahabas *

Their names are known

But their contributions are unknown.

To the left, right, in front and back, wherever he (salla Allahu alayhi
wassalam) looked, she was there.

He was beaten to a pulp for reciting the Quran aloud for the first time.
But he came back and did it again the next day anyway.

These were men and women who surrounded the Prophet (salla Allahu alayhi
wassalam). We hear their names frequently, but how much do we really know
about their contributions to Islam, to us?

Have you considered that today you are able to carry the Book of Allah
because one man long ago sacrificed many sleepless nights to scrutinize
every verse written on whatever animal hide, piece of wood, or stone that
the companions could muster? Or have you considered that today you
comprehend the words of Allah (swt) because one boy long ago was made a
prodigy, a genius, committed to the perpetual study of the Quran and its
depth of wisdom?

In a specially prepared seminar, Dr. Abdullah Hakim Quick gathers the
remarkable contributions of the men and women around the Prophet (salla
Allahu alayhi wassalam) to transform your kinship with the best generation
to ever walk the earth.

*Register for Shadows in the Sun: The Living Legacy of the Sahabas at
http://almaghrib.org/*

Free Friday 10/25/13 from 7:00-10:00 PM

Saturday 10/26/13 from 10:00 AM-7:00 PM

Sunday 10/27/13 from 10:00 AM-7:00 PM

*Where: Georgia Tech*

*                 255 North Ave NW, Atlanta, GA 30332*

*When: Friday, October 25th – Sunday, October 27th *

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/events/544526495602047/?ref=2

 [image: Inline image 9]

--
*Visit <http://www.gsumsa.com> us at: www.gsumsa.com*
*Email <[log in to unmask]>** us at: **[log in to unmask]**
Add us on Google Plus+ <http://goo.gl/fH1LJ>: http://goo.gl/fH1LJ
Follow us on Instagram <http://instagram.com/msaatgsu>:*
http://instagram.com/msaatgsu*
Follow us on Twitter <https://twitter.com/GSU_MSA>: *
https://twitter.com/GSU_MSA* (@GSU_MSA <https://twitter.com/GSU_MSA>)
**Subscribe to us on YouTube <http://www.youtube.com/user/MSAatGSU>: *
http://www.youtube.com/user/MSAatGSU*
Join our group on Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/groups/gsumsa/>: *
https://www.facebook.com/groups/gsumsa/
Register with the MSA on
OrgSync<https://orgsync.com/join/26490/muslim-student-association>
: https://orgsync.com/join/26490/muslim-student-association **Only
registered members receive the code to the prayer room located at
University Center room 409.**

*Unsubscribe*: If you would like to be removed from the MSA mailing list,

Did you read this email? The first person to reply with their Panther ID #
and name gets waived dues for this semester! (*Newsletters only*)