MSA Archives

MSA@LISTSERV.GSU.EDU

Fri, 1 Mar 2013 19:49:25 -0500
[image: Inline image 1]

*Semi-Monthly Hadith*

Reported by Abu Hurairah (RA): The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him)
said while talking about the merits of Friday, “There is a time on Friday
at which a Muslim, while he (or she) is performing Salat and is
supplicating, will be granted whatever he (or she) is supplicating for.”
And he (peace be upon him) pointed with his hand to indicate that this
period of time is very short. [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

*MSA Events*

*I. Entertainment Night***

Entertainment Night will be a night of incredible and joyous fun where many
different artists will come together and show off their talents. We will
have comedies, spoken word, poetry, nasheeds, and much more!

If you wish to perform, please fill out this form (http://bit.ly/YHumXN)
and send us a YouTube video of what you want to do by March 7th! No late
entrants!

Entertainment Night will feature our special star writer and comedian from
New York City, Aman Ali!

Aman Ali is an award winning storyteller in New York City and one of the
only young American Muslim voices in the public spotlight today. His
passionate and animated style of storytelling draws heavily from his
upbringing and travels and continues to gain buzz from people all around
the world.

He's made appearances on dozens of media outlets such as CNN, HBO, ABC
News, and NPR to talk about his upbringing as a 20-something Muslim born
and raised in America.

He is also recognized for being the co-creator of the social media
phenomenon 30 Mosques in 30 Days, a 25,000 mile road trip he took to all 50
states in the U.S. with the mission of telling groundbreaking and profound
stories about Muslims in America. He continues to share his sharp
perspective about social issues as a regular commentator for CNN.
Admission:
A table will be set up at the entrance allowing people to register and join
with the MSA by paying their dues for the semester. Dues for this event
will be $10 and will include a free T-shirt and free admission to every
other MSA event for the rest of the semester.

**Anyone interested in volunteering, please email us at [log in to unmask]
Attend the Volunteer Meeting on Monday, March 4th at 1:15 PM in the
University Center in Room 402!
https://www.facebook.com/events/417083218384909/**

For more information, visit our website at gsumsa.com or check out the
Facebook event here:
https://www.facebook.com/events/401921649904882/

[image: Inline image 3]

*II. MSA Hunger Walk***

Do you feel a need to give back to the community? Or maybe you've been
sitting around too much and need to be active again. Perhaps you want to do
both! GA MSA Council is forming a team to participate in the annual Hunger
Walk/Run!!

We have selected to support the Atlanta Community Food Bank as our charity.
All you have to do is click on "Join team" on this link:
http://engage.acfb.org/site/TR/HungerWalkAtlantaCommunityFoodBank/HungerWalk?team_id=19150&pg=team&fr_id=1520

You will then reach a registration page. Registration will cost $25 for
each runner/walker. This includes a t-shirt. There's only a couple more
weeks left. Register now!

We will provide more information as the date approaches, regarding
transportation and where we'll all meet. Arrive to the event by 12:00 p.m.
sharp! Be sure to wear a t-shirt provided by your MSA to represent the
Georgia Muslim Students' Association team! Also, whether you are part of an
MSA or not, feel free to register anyways! Everyone is welcome to join our
team! Good luck!

In case you need additional details of this event:
http://engage.acfb.org/site/TR/HungerWalkAtlantaCommunityFoodBank/HungerWalk?pg=informational&fr_id=1520&type=fr_informational&sid=1162

And their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/hungerwalkrun

This particular event:
https://www.facebook.com/events/161791673974927/?ref=14

*III. Fast-A-Thon Video***

Thanks to everyone who showed up to Fast-a-thon. A very special thanks goes
to the volunteers for the event. Here is a youtube video of the event:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orglkA95WXs&feature=youtu.be

*COMMUNITY ANNOUNCEMENTS*

1. Emory MSA Art Gala (March 3rd)
2. Oxford College Eid Mela (March 5th)
3. AMYP Monthly Meet Up (March 7th)

4. Choosing a Role Model (March 9th)

5. Zaytuna College Benefit Dinner (March 10th)
6. MSA East Zone Conference (March 22-24th)

7. Helping Hand Volunteer Day (March 24th)

8. Georgia Tech Islamic Awareness Month

*1. Emory MSA Art Gala on Sunday, March 3rd.*

Come experience the famous MSA Art Gala! View beautiful art pieces in the
grand Fox Theatre, enjoy great performances and wonderful company! This is
an event you WILL NOT want to miss.

Tickets are $10 for Emory Students and $15 for non-Emory. We will begin
selling them Thursday, Feb 21st. You can purchase them from the DUC info
desk (cc are accepted here), the MSA table in the DUC, or from an MSA
member.

Performances by Poetic Vision Tour (Dawud Wharnsby Ali is a part of this
tour)! Hamza Perez will also be present with art pieces and a presentation.

Attire: Traditional Clothing or Formal

Shuttles will be provided to and from the venue

https://www.facebook.com/events/134413100061949/?ref=14

[image: Inline image 4]<https://www.facebook.com/events/134413100061949/?ref=14>

<https://www.facebook.com/events/134413100061949/?ref=14>

*2. Oxford College Eid-e-Miladunnabi Celebration*

Come out and celebrate the Prophet's Birthday with the Oxford College
Muslim Student Association and Arabic Club! Tuesday, March 5th, 2013 at 5 –
8 pm at Oxford College of Emory University Rathskellar

Enjoy delicious Mediterranean and Indian food, the viewing of the sequel to
Adventures of Muslim Man, and henna! Also come hear Dr. Pohl and Dr.
Saadein talk!

For more information:
https://www.facebook.com/events/382407818523271/?ref=14

 [image: Inline image 5]

*3. AMYP Monthly Meet Up*

Greetings AMYP-ers!

When: March 7th, 2013 (Thursday) @ 7:00pm
Where: Murry’s in Hurry (Zabihah & Muslim Owned)
880 Indian Trail Rd, Lilburn, GA 30047
http://www.yelp.com/biz/murrays-in-a-hurry-lilburn-2

This will be our go-to location for the next few Monthly Meet-Ups! We'll
have games where no topic is Taboo; where you can be witty with your Catch
Phrase; or whatever the night’s games may bring – so be ready.

Y’all bring your A-game, empty stomachs, and competitive spirit every first
Thursday of the month at 7:00pm. The meeting is free, and you are only
responsible for what you eat. Please feel free to forward the invitation to
friends and bring them. We look forward to seeing you!

As always, the AMYP social committee is open to suggestions for locales for
future monthly meet ups. Email us at [log in to unmask]

Please visit http://www.atlmyp.org/ for more information or visit the
Facebook event at https://www.facebook.com/events/554148924608962/

 [image: Inline image 7]

*4. Choosing a Role Model***

Where: Abu Bakr Masjid

When: Saturday, March 9th, 2013 from 5:30pm to 9:00pm

Featuring:

"Flag Bearers of Islam"
Mufti Asif Pochi (Suwanee)
After Asr

"Pearls of the Prophet (SAW): the Companions"
Shaykh Mohammed Jafari (Lilburn)
After Maghrib

"Love of the Prophet"
Shaykh Samir Wahid (Marietta)
After Isha

Dinner will be served for Inshallah.

For Further Information please contact Imam Ahmad Jafari at

 [image: Inline image 14]

*5. Zaytuna College Benefit Dinner with Shaykh Hamza Yusuf and Hatem Bazian*

Zaytuna College has embarked on a journey to become the first accredited
Muslim liberal arts college in the United States. Zaytuna College invites
you to join cofounders, Hamza Yusuf & Hatem Bazian for an inspirational
lecture and a benefit dinner for the college. During this evening, they
will share with you the highlights of our successes and discuss the details
of our future milestones.

The generous support of the American Muslim community has been critical for
Zaytuna's emergence as a thriving Muslim college in the United States.
Please continue to support the college – which aims to educate and prepare
future leaders for our communities, America, and the world – with your
financial contributions, goodwill, and prayers.

WHERE: Sheraton Gateway Hotel Atlanta Airport, International Ballroom
1900 Sullivan Road, Atlanta, GA 30337

WHEN: Sunday, March 10, 2013
Registration and reception is at 5 PM. The Program starts at 5:30 PM.

Tickets: $25 per person, or $250 for a table of 10.
Register at: www.zaytunacollege.org/atlanta or call 510-900-3151.

Free parking available.

Contact:

Event facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/294357440693878/?ref=14

 [image: Inline image 10]

*6. MSA East Zone Conference 2013*

MSA National is pleased to announce the East Zone Conference in Raleigh, NC
from March 22-24! Save the date and start planning!

REGISTRATION is open! Check out http://msanational.org/ez/
Registration is $35 now, and $45 at the door.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/413114415436771/?ref=14

Click on the link at http://msanational.org/ez/ for hotel information.
Rooms are at the Raleigh Marriott City Center for 115.00/night

Book hotel rooms for $115 per night
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/rdumc-raleigh-marriott-city-center/?toDate=3%2F24%2F13&groupCode=msamsaa&stop_mobi=yes&fromDate=3%2F22%2F13&app=resvlink

[image: Inline image 11]

*7. Helping Hand 4th Annual Fundraising Dinner*

When: Sunday, March 24th, 2013 at 6:00 pm

Where: Premier Event Halls

3520, Breckenridge Blvd.

Duluth, GA 30096

(Near Exit 104 at I-85N)

Admissions: $20 per person (Dinner Included)

For more information, contact Hafiz Amjad Saeed at [log in to unmask] or
678-469-8319. Volunteers Needed.

 [image: Inline image 12]

*8.  Georgia Tech Islamic Awareness Month*

The Muslims Students Association at Georgia Tech brings you Islamic
Awareness Month 2013! An initiative geared towards creating awareness, and
breaking fallacies and stereotypes about Islam while enjoying some food,
lectures and prizes!

Below are the events for Islamic Awareness Month 2013:

"Unveiling the Veil"
March 6th 2013 5-6:30pm
March 8th 2013 6-8:30pm
Ever wonder what it would be like to wear a headscarf? The Muslim Students
Association at Georgia Tech invites you to try it! As part of our Islamic
Awareness month, this event aims to dispell misconceptions about the hijab
(headscarf) that many Muslim women choose to wear. It will also highlight
the respect and honor that is manifested through modesty.
https://www.facebook.com/events/481366081910955/?ref=2

"Fast-A-Thon"
March 14th 2013 7:00pm
13 hours without food or drink? Can’t instagram your food ‘til after
sunset? Challenge accepted! Join us in fasting from sunrise to sunset and
to empathize with the hungry! Local businesses will sponsor every person
who fasts on this day. All proceeds will aid the Burmese crisis through
Islamic Relief USA. FREE food and entertainment!
https://www.facebook.com/events/220894778048702/?fref=ts

"Valuable Virtues"
March 29th 2013 6:30pm
Join us for a talk by Shaikh Omar Sulaiman as he takes us through the
journey of the Prophets chosen by God and how they can be our role models.
**Friday Prayers will be prayed in the Ballroom at 1:30 with Shaikh Omar
Sulaiman.
https://www.facebook.com/events/487822387946218/?fref=ts

On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/376924855748991/?ref=14

[image: Inline image 13]

--
Visit us at GSUMSA.com! Be sure to register with the MSA on OrgSync! Only
registered members receive the code to the prayer room located at

The MSA at GSU is now on Twitter and YouTube! Follow us on Twitter @GSU_MSA
and we'll follow you back insha'Allah!
Subscribe to us on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/user/MSAatGSU
And join our Facebook group at: http://www.facebook.com/groups/2201839796/

Unsubscribe: If you would like to be removed from the MSA mailing list,

Did you read this email? The first person to reply with their Panther ID #
and name gets waived dues for this semester! (Newsletters only)