MSA Archives

MSA@LISTSERV.GSU.EDU

Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2011 16:41:00 -0500
[image: bism.gif]

Asalaamu'Alaikum!

Halaqahs have officially begun!

Bi-Weekly Halaqah

Do you want to become spiritually REJUVENATED?
Do want to inject your life with PASSION?
Do you want to jumpstart your HEART, and
become closer to Allah SWT?

OR do you just want to HANG OUT?

*BROTHERS,* do you want to form bonds of brotherhood with guys you know
will be there for you YEARS after college?

*SISTERS,* do you want to form bonds of sisterhood with the girls who
will be there for you through your GRADUATION, your WEDDING, and
EVERY big step you take in your life?

*What if there was a way you could do BOTH?*

Introducting, Bi–weekly Halaqahs.  Study circles of Brothers and
Sisters just like you, going through the same things you are, learning
about Allah and life together.

*
*Every Tuesday/Thursday from
12:15 PM—1:00 PM (Campus Break)*

*Location

*Brothers
*Arts and Humanities 320*

Sisters*
Arts and Humanities 327*

*Community Announcements:*

1. NYF Executive Director Position Opening

2. Islamic Scholarship Fund
3. Success Advisors -- Free Service for College/Career Advice and Essay
Editing
4. Poetic Vision Tour hits ATL!
5. MSA Southeast Conference
6. Sixth Annual Humanitarian Relief Dinner

1. NYF Executive Director Position Opening

Nur Youth Forum is currently looking for an Executive Director and also
other positions for the Executive Board. If you know of anyone interested
please forward this opportunity to them. The position is unpaid and is
essentially a volunteer position. Additionally, there are internships
available for high school and undergraduate university students. Both
position descriptions are attached to this email. If you'd like to help Nur
Youth Forum out please email [log in to unmask] For more information
please visit www.nuryouthforum.wordpress.com

Jazakallah Khairan,
Saud Inam
B.A. International Affairs - Conflict Security & Middle East
B.A. Religion
The George Washington University
678.231.9424

2.

  *The Islamic Scholarship Fund Calls for Applications for the 2011-2012
School  Year.

Deadline March 21st, 2011
*

          [image: Forward to a
Friend]<[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1102418460190&a=1104184149470&[log in to unmask]>

*Islamic Scholarship Fund (ISF)* is a 501 C (3) non-profit organization that
provides academic scholarships to Muslim students in the United States who
pursue college and post graduate degrees in humanities, social sciences,
liberal arts and law.

*Mission:*
ISF's mission is to address the problem that Muslims are underrepresented in
the fields of studies and occupations that make public policy and influence
public opinion.  We aim to bring about long term change by providing
academic scholarships for students in the fields of humanities, social
sciences, liberal arts and law in order to encourage and support the future
Muslim lawyers, politicians, writers, journalists, film makers and
academicians of the society.

*Program Description and Eligibility:*
ISF accepts online applications once a year starting in January for a period
of three months. Scholarships are awarded to Muslim students who have been
accepted to four-year colleges and universities in the US.  Applicants must
meet the following minimum eligibility requirements:

1.  Muslim;
2.  Majoring in humanities, social sciences, liberal arts, or law;
3.  Citizen or permanent resident of US;
4.  Minimum 3.4 grade point average;
5.  College junior standing or above;
6.  Active member of his or her community.

*Selection Process:*
ISF's Selection Committee which is composed of university professors,
non-profit organization leaders and community members with years of
experience in the academic and non-profit world review and score
applications from April to June. Applicant finalists with the highest score
are scheduled for web-based video interview during the month of July.  Final
selections are made and all applicants are notified during the first week of
August.

*Award Distribution:*
Scholarships ranging from $1000-$10,000 will be awarded during the second
week of August.  With certain exceptions, ISF's policy is to send checks
directly to an applicant's university.  Exceptions can be made if the awards
affect the applicant's financial status.

*How to Apply:*
ISF's application submission system is now paperless. Please visit our
website at
http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=5qpfuwcab&et=1104184149470&s=1155&e=001UbX7p3B0qJkxSwZEqNHHGgxTJwfIvpcOfv8sjXZ2gBw-0H7utEYq67Kcue-1q6xWUXAgQXcWPJe4s9DgTooWp7ZOF7WigO-RWOyFsPXWvJPuHjgQTTo6dh0Yn-HeAHz2-TeyCiA8tQxsBmVd9doP_A==to
apply for a scholarship. With the new system students will be given a
username and password to login and to upload their application, essay,
transcript and letters of recommendations. Providers of recommendation
letters will be given a link to upload requested letters of recommendations.

*             ISF will accept applications through March 21st, 2010.*

Please visit us at www.islamicscholarshipfund.org
<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=5qpfuwcab&et=1104184149470&s=1155&e=001UbX7p3B0qJkBd6g2o1ghBQWivzlXyMrJrAHjdLgKPAHHySdyUnlTYFZm-wsOjFkFmXxPN4CLBq8_ylMPvUGxhI6dqer0iwCQdSZTWdAmrs8f2Tto3E9-YuQa-E1iUEaJ6dyOVZSFaGU=>for
more information. You can email us at [log in to unmask]
call us at 650-995-6782
(M-F 9am-6pm PST).

*[image: Forward to a
Friend]<[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?m=1102418460190&a=1104184149470&[log in to unmask]>
* *Islamic Scholarship Fund
www.islamicscholarshipfund.org<http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?llr=5qpfuwcab&et=1104184149470&s=1155&e=001UbX7p3B0qJmJFmMiN3iXPr2P8nBVy0bFDk0ggKw_iRN0_uzKLjgnLIMtygsjxITQZ1GvnbnZcixv58olNhQ3HKQAm1YOE-oQsgvtJisBiRF2FzYDZlqGU2XO3D6Pd8rZ>
**650-995-6782*
3. Success Advisors -- Free Service for College/Career Advice and Essay
Editing

*What Is Success Advisors?*
Founded in 2005, Success Advisors is a mentorship network of Muslim
university students and young professionals formed to help our younger
brothers and sisters write better essays and make informed college and
career decisions.  Over the past few years, Success Advisors has already
positively impacted hundreds of students and helped some of these students
get into the nation's top universities.

*How to Use Success Advisors
*Anytime that a student has a request for an essay revision or a question
about a particular college or career, he/she should email the
request/question along with his/her contact info (email / phone / hometown),
essay prompt(s), attachment(s), and deadline(s) to
[log in to unmask]  An example submission is included below.
 Once the Success Advisors list managers receive the request, we will find a
Mentor to answer the request and will have the Mentor(s) reach out to the
student.  Please save this email as reference on how the group works.

*Example Submission*
*
*

Salaams Success Advisors,

I have an English Lit essay (attached) due on Friday, December 31.  If you
could please respond back with comments by Friday, December 24, I would very
much appreciate your help.

Also, I had some questions about future careers in management consulting.
Is there anyone who could help me learn more about consulting?

Finally, I'm interested in applying to colleges in the Midwest.  Can anyone
please give me a rundown of the schools out there?

Thanks,

Zain Gulamali

[log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

(555) 555-5555

4. Poetic Vision Tour in ATLANTA!

[image: pvt_winter10on.jpg]

5. MSA SouthEast Conference

Assalamualikum Wa Rehmatullahi Wa Barakatuhu,

I hope this reaches you in best health and emaan.
I am contacting you in behalf of MSA Southeast. {If you are not familiar
with MSA SE, then allow me to introduce you to this organization iA}. {MSA
Southeast is a network of MSAs across the Southeast region of the United
States that aims to unite Muslims for the sole pleasure of Allah SWT. We
strive to help strengthen the individual’s connection with their creator,
and the way of life prescribed by Allah SWT. Through helping to change and
improve on the self, we seek to change the condition of our ummah.} For more
info please check our website iA, www.msasoutheast.org.

The reason I am calling you/emailing you is to reach out to our Muslims
Brothers & Sisters in GA, and *invite you *all to our weekend conference in
February iA titled Islaam: Past, Present, & Future. The dates are Feb 18 -
20th iA & the location is Duke University, Durhum, NC. We hope to provide an
opportunity for the Muslims to learn from their history, and understand the
process that lead to our present state as an ummah. It will, insha'Allah,
help them learn from the past, and be able to implement the lessons and
advice in their future roles as the leaders of the Muslim ummah, with the
sole purpose of spreading Islaam, whereby pleasing Allah (SWT) in the best
ways possible. Also, we hope to build brotherhood/sisterhood throughout the
conference. Speakers Includes *Shaykh Khalid Yasin, Shaykh Abu Yusuf, Shaykh
Shady Al-Suleiman, Amir Abdel Malik Ali & many more.*

For more information, or to register, or if you have any question ex.
housing and vice versa, visit our website, www.msasoutheast.org iA. JazakAllah
Khair for your time and we hope to see at Duke iA. We hope that this event
will mark the start of our future collaborative/joint events iA. The
facebook event is on iA so please spread the word iA.
http://www.facebook.com/?sk=events#!/event.php?eid=191200624229474<http://www.facebook.com/?sk=events#%21/event.php?eid=191200624229474>

6.
[image: screenshot.JPG]