Weekly CS Undergraduate Newsletter #10
January 27th, 2020
· IMPORTANT MESSAGE from the GSU Student Success Management Team: Please check the PAWS portal to ensure your account balance is paid. Due to changes in Board of Regents policies, students with balances are in danger of being dropped from all their classes as early as February 4th. If you have a balance, it is very important for you to contact the Student Financial Management Center immediately for assistance.
· Girls++ - will be hosting their first meeting of the spring semester called, "A Day in the Life of a State Farm Data Analyst" with Sara Amaravadi. January 30th, 4:30pm - 6:00pm (see flyer) <http://grid.cs.gsu.edu/~jhayes14/CSnewsletter/Girls++%20meeting-State%20Farm%20-%20Data%20Analyst%20Flyer-Jan%2030th%202020.pdf>
· Girls Who Code - is meeting this Friday, January 31st from 3pm - 5pm. Topic: "College Loop Meeting and Learn Your Language" (see flyer) <http://grid.cs.gsu.edu/~jhayes14/CSnewsletter/GirlsWhoCode%20flyer-Jan%2031%202020.pdf>
· Pearl Hacks 2020 - is a beginner-friendly hackathon at UNC-Chapel Hill for female and nonbinary genders happening in Feb 21st - Feb 23rd. Participants can find themselves in a weekend full of new challenges, friends and mentors, good food, and overall a good time!
o The link to registration is: https://pearlhacks1.typeform.com/to/Elv0RM
Career Related Events and Job Opportunities:
· Bank of America will be on campus Wednesday, February 5th, 2020. Please sign up as soon as possible if you are interested. Spots are limited (see flyer)<http://grid.cs.gsu.edu/~jhayes14/CSnewsletter/Join%20us%20for%20Bank%20of%20Americas%20Navigating%20Your%20Career%20Panel%20at%20Georgia%20State.pdf>
(Want to go to Graduate School?) Scholarships & Research Opportunities for Undergraduates:
· Volunteer opportunity - Consider volunteering to give a short presentation at a local school where you can impact the young minds of tomorrow. Presentations are short (½ - 1 hour) and led by STEM faculty, technicians, industry scientists and engineers, graduate students, or any other science professionals. Please come present on your career, how you got there, and some interesting questions you're working on now (link here) <https://atlantasciencefestival.org/get-involved/itf-stem/>
· REU at George Mason University - Undergraduate students can participate in a paid data science research internship this summer 2020 at George Mason University.
o REU Site: Undergraduate Research in Educational Data Mining
o REU website: http://cs.gmu.edu/~reu
o REU Site Application Page: https://cs.gmu.edu/reu/apply/
· REU at Florida International University - Research Experience for Undergraduates in Advanced Secured Sensor Enabling Technologies spans ten weeks, May 28- August 4th 2020, offers research and professional development opportunities for 10 undergraduate students (see flyer)<http://grid.cs.gsu.edu/~jhayes14/CSnewsletter/REU-FIU-flyer%20summer%202020.pdf>
· REU at New Mexico State University - The BIGDatA REU is offering a 10-week opportunity (summer 2020) that includes: $6,000 stipend, Housing and meals, Round trip airfare to Las Cruces, NM. Students must have a strong interest in big data analysis. Application review process begins February 20th, 2020 (see link)<https://www.cs.nmsu.edu/reu/home/research-projects/>
· [REMINDER] Want to help the homeless using technology? If you are interested in using your technology skills to help the homeless in Atlanta, please contact GSU Economics professor, Dr. Rusty Tchernis, at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> (NOTE: You may receive course credit for summer 2020)
o Dr. Tchernis specifically needs students who are skilled in web-site design and working with large data sets.
· [REMINDER] Scholarships Applications are now being accepted for WIT Girls and WIT Campus (see link)<https://mywit.site-ym.com/page/2020WITScholarships>
· [REMINDER] Oakland University - Undergraduate Computer Research (UnCoRe) program in Cybersecurity is now accepting applications for summer 2020. The application deadline is March 15th, 2020 (see flyer) <http://grid.cs.gsu.edu/~jhayes14/CSnewsletter/Advertisement-UnCoRe%202020.pdf>
· [REMINDER] GSURC - GSU Honors College is pleased to announce that the 14th annual Georgia State Undergraduate Research Conference (GSURC) will be held on Friday, April 17 in the Student Center. Please consider submitting a research poster!! (see flyer) <https://gsurc.honors.gsu.edu/files/2019/12/GSURC_Credit_Options_2020.pdf>
· [REMINDER] 2020 Summer REU Program sponsored by Marquette University - Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) - Data Science Across Disciplines - June 1 - August 7, 2020 (see flyer) <http://grid.cs.gsu.edu/~jhayes14/CSnewsletter/DataScience-REU-Summer-2020Flyer.pdf>
Mr. Jamie Hayes, M.A.
Undergraduate Academic Coordinator | Department of Computer Science
Georgia State University - College of Arts and Sciences
25 Park Place, 7th Floor |Atlanta, GA 30303