Weekly CS Undergraduate Newsletter #52
October 20th, 2021
What does a computer tell its parent on a rainy day? "Mother, I’m board!" Happy Wednesday, Panthers! We hope your semesters are going better than our jokes!
* The newly founded Cybersecurity Club is having a meeting on Wednesday, October 20th from 4:15 - 5:15 in Room 755 of 25 Park Place!
* Discord: https://discord.gg/TsHMGDvg
* Cybersecurity Club is also hosting a guest speaker on Wednesday, October 27th from 4-5 PM in College of Arts and Sciences Lecture Hall 223.
* Girls Who Code at GSU's fourth UI/UX design workshop for this week has been postponed and will be held on Tuesday, October 26. The meeting is part of the club's UI/UX design bootcamp that will be held weekly throughout the remainder of the semester! This meeting, as well as subsequent meetings, will be held by Sanjana Bhat, a member of the organization's leadership board. The meeting will be held in the CS Meeting Room at 25 Park Place in room 755 from 4-5pm EST.
* Sanjana's email: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
* Sanjana's website: https://sanjanabhat.me/.
* On next Thursday, October 28, Girls Who Code at GSU will be holding a LinkedIn and networking workshop that will be hosted by a guest speaker from the GSU organization Digital Learners to Leaders. The meeting will be held virtually via Google Meet from 4:00pm - 5:00pm.
* Join the club's Discord (link: https://discord.gg/kJrdCSAj) or join our club as a member through pin.gsu.edu to be notified about the online meet link for the meeting
Job Announcements/Career Opportunities:
* Delta is hosting a virtual information session for students interested in Data Science/Analytics careers on October 27th from 5-6pm! (See flyer<https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:be4a5d48-e6dc-4104-aacf-2fc8c20a7f5c>)
* The application to #TwitterAcademy is now open! #TwitterAcademy is a paid 12-week summer internship program for historically underrepresented (Women, Black, Hispanic/Latinx, and/or Indigenous People) second-year computer science students located in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. All candidates will participate in interview prep workshops, meet with senior leaders and engage with our #TwitterAcademy alumni during an interview prep day on December 8th and will interview for internship positions on December 9th.
* Applications<https://twitteracademy2022.splashthat.com/> due by November 7th
* The Human Computer Interaction Graduate Program and the Virtual Reality Applications Center at Iowa State University are hosting an exciting REU program for the Summer of 2022! The program is a ten-week undergraduate internship where students work collaboratively in interdisciplinary teams, receive core training, and gain hands-on research experience with emerging interface technologies.
* Program Dates:Tuesday, May 31, 2022 – Saturday, August 6, 2022
* Application Deadline: December 31st, 2021 (or until all positions are filled)
* More information and to apply: http://www.vrac.iastate.edu/hci/reu/
* For questions, contact the SPIRE-EIT Program at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
***If you would like your announcement to be included in future newsletters, please send your request to Ashlie Swanson at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Ashlie Swanson | she/her
[log in to unmask]