Weekly CS Undergraduate Newsletter #3
October 14th 2019
* Computer Science has launched a Virtual Tutoring Center to provide tutoring services for students enrolled in the CSC 1301, 1302, 2510, 2720, 3210 and 3320 classes.
o Tutoring Hours: Monday - Friday, 7.30pm - 9.30pm, Sunday 3pm-5pm
o The web address is http://cstutoring.cs.gsu.edu/<https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcstutoring.cs.gsu.edu%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cjhayes14%40gsu.edu%7Cd6ac6820902344bc695308d7519797dc%7C515ad73d8d5e4169895c9789dc742a70%7C0%7C1%7C637067583911645572&sdata=o3ufYTbdsN31Yhompv%2FzdGGkTRbObooZQMpwriA9wHg%3D&reserved=0>
o You will need to type in your Campus ID and select a class in order to login.
* Data Science & Analytics Day will be held on Thursday, November 14th from 9am - 1:30pm - 25 Park Place (see flyer) <http://grid.cs.gsu.edu/~jhayes14/CSnewsletter/GSU%20Data%20Sci%20&%20Analytics%20Day-Nov%2014th%202019.pdf>
* CMII (Creative Media Industries Institute) is hosting the AI and the Creative Industries Lecture Series every Friday. Held in room CMII 306 from 1- 2pm.
o This series is free and open to the public (see link: https://sites.gsu.edu/ai/)
* Guest Speaker - Patrick Goodman will speak this Friday, Oct 18th, about his career experiences in data science (see flyer)<http://grid.cs.gsu.edu/~jhayes14/CSnewsletter/Speaker-Patrick-Goodman-Data%20Science-Oct%2018th%202019.pdf>
* Graduate School Fair - University Career Services is hosting 80+ local, national and international graduate school recruiters on October 29th 2019 (see flyer) <http://grid.cs.gsu.edu/~jhayes14/CSnewsletter/GSU%20Graduate%20Scholar%20Fair-Oct%2029th%202019.jpg>
* CMII sponsored Blockchain Workshops, held from 2pm - 4pm on Wednesdays - October 9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th and Nov. 6th (REGISTER NOW<https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.eventbrite.com%2Fe%2Fblockchain-workshops-tickets-75222980961&data=02%7C01%7Cjhayes14%40gsu.edu%7C2d110e1897e24d92776e08d74d8537ac%7C515ad73d8d5e4169895c9789dc742a70%7C0%7C0%7C637063106869876755&sdata=GTLa2OUqw00kxbRmiiHq1%2BUfjBIth6uI0M83AapQD3k%3D&reserved=0>)
* [REMINDER] Girls ++ is also sponsoring the "come meet the mentors" opportunity (see flyer for details and list of meeting times below)<http://grid.cs.gsu.edu/~jhayes14/CSnewsletter/Girls++%20MeetTheMentors-Fall%202019.jpg>
Sawsan @ Wednesdays, 1 pm
Nicole @ Wednesdays, 4 pm
Nadiya @ Wednesdays, 5 pm
Serena @ Thursdays, 12 pm
Brittney @ Thursdays, 1 pm
Alexandria @ Thursdays, 3 pm
Reshma @ Fridays, 1 pm
Capella @ Fridays, 2 pm
* [REMINDER] CS Networking Event will happen on Friday, November 1st from 3pm - 5pm at Launch GSU. This is an invaluable opportunity for students to connect both with industry professionals and fellow students within the tech field (see flyer)<http://grid.cs.gsu.edu/~jhayes14/CSnewsletter/CS%20Networking%20Event-November%201st%202019.pdf>
* [REMINDER] HackGSU, a collegiate level hackathon, will be held from Friday, November 1st through Sunday, November 3rd at the Aderhold Learning Center. Please note: seating is limited so sign up soon! Registration URL:http://www.hackgsu.com<https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hackgsu.com&data=02%7C01%7Cjhayes14%40gsu.edu%7Ca9a090ca5e294c69968708d745c59eaf%7C515ad73d8d5e4169895c9789dc742a70%7C0%7C0%7C637054587382117184&sdata=l3m1uBTGuVUGPhTUxlySEcDXW4%2B%2F4dL3REi%2BCvgsS5w%3D&reserved=0>
o Questions? http://www.hackgsu.com#faq<https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hackgsu.com%23faq&data=02%7C01%7Cjhayes14%40gsu.edu%7Ca9a090ca5e294c69968708d745c59eaf%7C515ad73d8d5e4169895c9789dc742a70%7C0%7C0%7C637054587382127177&sdata=aEQVLwGPH7YhiAKTZ9QKBvl%2B2meeZpt6H1acf%2FALAcI%3D&reserved=0> or email at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
o If you want to volunteer at HackGSU, the organizing committee meets at 1 Park Place, Room 628, every Monday from 4pm to 5pm.
Career Related Events and Job Opportunities:
* Facebook - Recruiting event at the Atlanta Convention Center on Thursday Oct 24th (see flyer) <http://grid.cs.gsu.edu/~jhayes14/CSnewsletter/Facebook-Atlanta-Thursday%20Oct%2024%202019.png>
o RSVP - space is limited!
o Splashthat Page: https://facebookcareerexploration.splashthat.com/<https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffacebookcareerexploration.splashthat.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cjhayes14%40gsu.edu%7C09aeb9255e404090f76808d750cbd7a6%7C515ad73d8d5e4169895c9789dc742a70%7C0%7C0%7C637066708749950092&sdata=bDMpF67IV6nnJnsee12yPWCCsml5WuaUSQoaMNpA%2B%2FI%3D&reserved=0>
o Event password: FBATL19
* Microsoft is highlighting the Explore Microsoft Internship opportunity (Intern Explore Microsoft<https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcareers.microsoft.com%2Fstudents%2Fus%2Fen%2Fjob%2F650947%2FInternship-Opportunities-for-Students-Explore-Microsoft-Internship&data=02%7C01%7Cjhayes14%40gsu.edu%7C5f5f91424ab0438e725408d74875c8fb%7C515ad73d8d5e4169895c9789dc742a70%7C0%7C0%7C637057543394330368&sdata=VjZ8jMQOreUrrl9naI%2Fqc%2FNKuA0ATffML3oWYHBx6cI%3D&reserved=0> ). The application is limited to just sophomores. Apply as soon as possible. Interviews will be held on campus next week (see flyer)<http://grid.cs.gsu.edu/~jhayes14/CSnewsletter/Microsoft%20Application%20flyer-10-3-2019.pdf>
* Job Opportunity - MandR-Group.com is hiring for a Web Developer (location in Macon, GA). If you are a graduating senior this December, please apply at this link: https://www.mandr-group.com/career/fullstack-web-developer/<https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mandr-group.com%2Fcareer%2Ffullstack-web-developer%2F&data=02%7C01%7Cjhayes14%40gsu.edu%7C33c01d1901654743506a08d74d90feeb%7C515ad73d8d5e4169895c9789dc742a70%7C0%7C0%7C637063157459892415&sdata=anEY2drd8oq6Ki1iFK%2FgHFiyXm1QAP3rg%2BqlsjiPiTc%3D&reserved=0>
* [REMINDER] Graduate Program - GSU Robinson's MAS/QRAM Lunch and Learn is happening tomorrow, October 16th. This event is a lunch and learn about the Master of Actuarial Science and MS in Quantitative Risk Analysis and Management graduate programs (see flyer)<http://grid.cs.gsu.edu/~jhayes14/CSnewsletter/GSU%20Robinson%20Business-10-16%20Pathways%20Flyer.pdf>
Mr. Jamie Hayes, M.A.
Undergraduate Academic Coordinator | Department of Computer Science
Georgia State University - College of Arts and Sciences
25 Park Place, 7th Floor |Atlanta, GA 30303