Weekly CS Undergraduate Newsletter #50
October 6th, 2021
* Happy October! With the spooky season upon us, don’t let your mental health get scary. Eat some candy, carve a pumpkin, and make sure you’re taking care of yourself!
* On Tuesday, October 12, Girls Who Code at GSU will be holding our third UI/UX design workshop as part of the club's UI/UX design bootcamp that will be held weekly throughout the remainder of the semester! This meeting, as well as subsequent meetings, will be held by Sanjana Bhat, a member of the organization's leadership board.
* The meeting will be held in the CS Meeting Room at 25 Park Place in room 755 from 4-5pm EST on October 12th
* Sanjana's email: [log in to unmask]
* Sanjana's website: https://sanjanabhat.me/<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fsanjanabhat.me%2F&data=04%7C01%7Caswanson7%40student.gsu.edu%7Cda5cc42ad96e43c0a73508d988d23ef5%7C704d822c358a47849a1649e20b75f941%7C0%7C0%7C637691258836614959%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=CjInxcP%2FpseRlhhHLa6B3TRL3e4fqFCgRYPGgcHuJXU%3D&reserved=0>.
* On Thursday, October 14, Girls Who Code at GSU will be holding a beginner's Python workshop that will be hosted by Sravanthi Malepati, a software engineer and a computer science graduate student at Georgia State.
* The meeting will be held in the CS Meeting Room at 25 Park Place in room 755 from 4-5pm EST on October 14th
* Mindsumo is once again partnering with Wells Fargo for their annual Campus Analytics Challenge<https://www.mindsumo.com/contests/campus-analytics-challenge-2021>! Students can compete individually (preferred) or submit as a team for a chance to win a significant cash prize as well as develop skills around a real-world application.
* Deadline to submit: October 13th at 12:00pm EST
* Likely best suited to: computer science, information science, data analytics, mathematics, or engineering students
* Open to undergrads, masters, and Ph.D. programs
* Contact [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with any questions
Job Announcements/Career Opportunities:
* Robinson College of Business and University Career Services are partnering to host a virtual Tech Talent Fair! (See flyer<https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:84b9f9c8-ea92-497a-905f-10c7ed42151f>) Big companies including Bank of America, Google, and UPS will be there! Find the event link here<https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgsu.joinhandshake.com%2Fcareer_fairs%2F24451%2Fstudent_preview%3Ftoken%3DPnN7KXomViu5n_y8Ll1i8l7JcZWaptIy6qaZHQ0LBdpgbIJhS5pjPA&data=04%7C01%7Caswanson7%40student.gsu.edu%7C3536ced04fb94a9e0fbb08d981d05bdc%7C704d822c358a47849a1649e20b75f941%7C0%7C0%7C637683554167963197%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=cKiwKiZnd0jWZ%2BKUj676YAfx46d446QkfQk7KjUUVkw%3D&reserved=0>!
* University Career Services is hosting a career and internship fair! (See flyer<https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:a7b7563a-556a-463b-843a-fbdaf96e7ff3>)
* When: Thursday, October 7th 12:30pm - 4pm
* Where: Student Center East Ballroom
* The application to #TwitterAcademy is now open! #TwitterAcademy is a paid 12-week summer internship program for historically underrepresented (Women, Black, Hispanic/Latinx, and/or Indigenous People) second-year computer science students located in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico. All candidates will participate in interview prep workshops, meet with senior leaders and engage with our #TwitterAcademy alumni during an interview prep day on December 8th and will interview for internship positions on December 9th.
* Applications<https://twitteracademy2022.splashthat.com/> due by November 7th
* The Human Computer Interaction Graduate Program and the Virtual Reality Applications Center at Iowa State University are hosting an exciting REU program for the Summer of 2022! The program is a ten-week undergraduate internship where students work collaboratively in interdisciplinary teams, receive core training, and gain hands-on research experience with emerging interface technologies.
* Program Dates:Tuesday, May 31, 2022 – Saturday, August 6, 2022
* Application Deadline: December 31st, 2021 (or until all positions are filled)
* More information and to apply: http://www.vrac.iastate.edu/hci/reu/
* For questions, contact the SPIRE-EIT Program at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
* Statefarm is hiring summer IT interns! (See Flyer<https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:1887e89f-5d69-4cdf-a5be-7f32263eed02>)
* Applications<https://www.statefarm.com/careers> due by October 13th
* Includes intern stipend
***If you would like your announcement to be included in future newsletters, please send your request to Ashlie Swanson at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Ashlie Swanson | she/her
[log in to unmask]