CSC_UNDERGRAD Archives

CSc Undergraduate Students

CSC_UNDERGRAD@LISTSERV.GSU.EDU

From:
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2011 09:27:05 -0500
I am working with Families First Inc who has contracted with Columbia
Residential, developer and owner of Senior and Multi-Family Properties
throughout the Metro Atlanta area.  Each of our Senior properties have
business centers on site with 2-3 up to date computers with internet
access, however they are of little use as the seniors do not know how to
use the equipment.  Many of the Seniors have expressed interest in
learning basic computer operations.

We are looking for students that would be interested in engaging
students in a project to get Seniors orientated to basic computer
operations.

I would like for students to work with one or two residents at a time
providing individualize instruction on one of the following areas:

         Basic Operations (Turning the Computer On, Using the Mouse etc.)

         Set up and using E-mail

         Basic Internet Use

         Basic Word Processing

The target population are Seniors with very flexible schedules allowing
students to determine their available times.  We have a number of Senior
communities so students can pick a located that is most convenient for
them.

All of the senior properties are mixed income communities with 60%-90%
(depending on the property) being low to very low income persons living
in subsidized units.

If you are interested, please contact

Anthony Bostic

Community Resource Liasion

Families First INC

Phone: 770-842-2259

Anu G. Bourgeois, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Director of Undergraduate Studies
Department of Computer Science
Georgia State University
Tel: (404) 413-5723  Fax: (404) 413-5717
Web: http://www.cs.gsu.edu/agb