ASPHD_CSC Archives

PhD Student

ASPHD_CSC@LISTSERV.GSU.EDU

From:
Tammie T Dudley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
PhD Student <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 2016 12:33:59 +0000
Departmental Colloquium at Conference Room 755, 10:30-11:30 pm, April 26th, 2016

Title: Emerging Communication and Computing Technologies for Mobile Ubiquitous Systems: A look into Camera-Communications and Vehicular Cloud-Computing

Speaker: Ashwin Ashok

Abstract:

The integration of Internet with networked devices, people and physical systems provides a promising vision of smart mobile systems enabled by the Internet-Of-Things (IoT) framework. The decentralized, heterogeneous and relatively large-scale nature of IoT brings about challenges in realizing reliable wireless networking and efficient computing in such mobile-IoT systems. In this talk I will discuss my research on two emerging technologies that can shape mobile-IoT systems design and help address the communication and computing challenges to build next-generation smart mobile ubiquitous systems.

In the first part of this talk, I will introduce a novel concept called visual MIMO that advocates the use of cameras for communication, where cameras can be used as receivers for information communicated through light. In this talk I will mainly focus on a mobile computing system where mobile cameras decode information embedded in content displayed on screens, also referred to as screen--camera communication. In the second part of the talk, I will discuss how mobile applications running on vehicular on-board units (OBU) can be made more computationally efficient through cloud-computing. In particular, I will present the design of the cloud-computing system through a service-oriented framework that enables remote execution of vehicular application tasks availed as dynamic services in the cloud. Finally, I will conclude my talk with my vision of future research directions in building smart mobile ubiquitous systems in the IoT, cloud, and wearable space.

Bio:

Ashwin Ashok is a postdoctoral research associate in ECE at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) under the mentorship of Prof. Peter Steenkiste (CMU). He works in collaboration with Dr. Fan Bai (GM labs) and conducts research on building cloud computing systems for vehicles. His research work spans areas in mobile systems and computing, cloud computing, visible light and camera communications, vehicular networking, computer vision, augmented reality, wearable systems and localization. He completed his Ph.D. in Oct 2014 from Wireless Information Network Lab (WINLAB) at Rutgers University under the supervision of Profs. Marco Gruteser, Narayan Mandayam and Kristin Dana. His thesis pioneered camera-based communication in mobile computing and visible light communication (VLC) through a novel concept called visual MIMO. During his doctoral tenure at Rutgers he has won the best teaching assistant award and also a research excellence award. Ashwin is currently the workshop co-chair for MobiCom 2016 and is also co-chairing the workshop on Wearable Systems and Applications (WearSys) at MobiSys 2016. He is an experimentalist and has keen interests in mobile system design and prototyping, and loves tinkering with circuits, Arduino and wearable devices.