ASMS_CSC Archives

MS Student

ASMS_CSC@LISTSERV.GSU.EDU

From:
MS Student <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:22:44 -0500
Hello.

I am the new Science Librarian at Georgia State University,
responsible for Biology, Neuroscience and Computer Science.
I wanted to introduce myself and share a little of my
background. I obtained my Bachelor of Science degree from
the University of Alberta with a major in Zoology. I spent a
dozen years working in Indianapolis as an elephant trainer
collaborating with researchers around the world.

As the Biology, Neuroscience and Computer Science Librarian
at Georgia State I offer:

· Instruction sessions and research guides: In order for
students to become more familiar with the library resources
available to them and to assist them in completing
assignments at a higher level, I offer instruction on
information literacy, research guides and research tools.
The instruction sessions can be an introduction to library
resources, subject specific, or assignment specific. These
sessions may be set up by emailing me directly or by
competing the “request a class” form
(http://library.gsu.edu/class-request.php).

· Research assistance: I will be offering office hours at
which time I will be available to students for in-depth
personal assistance with their assignments. I am also
available to collaborate with the biology and neuroscience
faculty with their research.

· Collection development: One of my tasks as a Science
Librarian is to purchase resources, books and DVD’s, in
biology and neuroscience to provide a well-rounded
collection that supports the teaching and research at
Georgia State University. I am open to suggestions in order
to make the collection stronger, other requests will be
noted in the event that funding becomes available. Feel free
to send me requests for the purchase of specific items.

· Instruction for faculty and graduate students: I will be
offering classes designed to introduce faculty and graduate
students to resources that may be new to them. Classes on
existing resources will also be offered to demonstrate
shortcuts and to show new means to using the resources.

I look forward to working with all of you.

Lesley K Mackie, BSc, MLS

Science Librarian, Biology, Neuroscience and Computer Science

University Library, Georgia State University

Suite 542, Library South

(404)413-2738