ASMS_CSC Archives

MS Student

ASMS_CSC@LISTSERV.GSU.EDU

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
MS Student <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 2015 19:25:15 +0000
From:
Tammie T Dudley <[log in to unmask]>

The Creative Media Industries Institute and New and Emerging Media Initiative at Georgia State University would like to invite everyone to join us for our next Playtest session this upcoming Friday, September 25, as we discuss fail states in games.

The history of the study of games repeatedly returns to a formative formal question: What is a game? How do you know one when you see it? Where is the closest authority figure you can report it to? In this session, we will talk about whether or not games need fail states in order to be considered games. We will look at three different games with three different kinds of fail states in order to parse out one of the big questions in contemporary gaming. The games featured will be Jenga, Myst, and Minority Report: Everybody Runs.

If this is your first time hearing about Playtest, it is an hour-long meet-up for discussing and exploring game mechanics, concepts, and experiences in a comfortable and critical setting.

This week's session will be held on Friday, September 25, from 3:00 to 4:00 PM in Troy Moore Library on the 23rd floor of 25 Park Place. We invite all students, staff, faculty, game developers, game critics, and anyone with a serious interest in game design or development to join us for these sessions; so, please, feel free to share this e-mail and its information with your students, colleagues, and friends.

For more information about Playtest, including how to propose a topic, please see our website (http://playtest.gsu.edu/) or contact Jennifer Olive ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) or Cameron Kunzelman ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>) via e-mail.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter. We look forward to seeing you at our next session of Playtest!

Sincerely,

Jennifer Olive