ASMS_CSC Archives

MS Student

ASMS_CSC@LISTSERV.GSU.EDU

From:
MS Student <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2009 13:59:14 -0400
Dear All,

Departmental Colloquium

Automatic Modeling of Procedural Knowledge and Feedback Generation
in a Tutoring System for Computer Science

Dr. Davide Fossati
Computing Innovation Research Fellow
School of Interactive Computing
Georgia Institute of Technology

This research takes place in the larger context of the study of
one-on-one tutoring, a form of instruction that has been shown to be
very effective. We conducted a study of human tutoring in the domain of
Computer Science data structures, to understand which features and
strategies of human tutoring are important for learning. We developed an
Intelligent Tutoring System, iList, that helps students learn linked
lists. One of the main advancements in iList is the presence of a
Procedural Knowledge Model automatically extracted from student data.
This model allows iList to provide effective reactive and proactive
procedural feedback while a student is solving a problem. We tested five
different versions of iList, differing in the level of feedback they can
provide, in multiple classrooms, with a total of more than 200 students.
The evaluation study showed that iList is effective in helping students
learn; students liked working with the system; and the feedback
generated by the most sophisticated versions of the system is helpful in
keeping the students on the right path.

About the Speaker: Davide Fossati received his Ph.D. in Computer Science
at the University of Illinois at Chicago in summer 2009. He also holds
an M.Sc. degree in Computer Engineering from the Politecnico di Milano,
Italy (2004), and an M.Sc. in Computer Science from the University of
Illinois at Chicago (2003). His research focuses on applications of
Artificial Intelligence in education, such as Intelligent Tutoring
Systems, and computational models and tools to support formative
assessment in Computer Science education.

Friday, October 23, 2009
1:00 p.m.3:00 p.m.
Department Conference Room

thanks!