ASMS_CSC Archives

MS Student

ASMS_CSC@LISTSERV.GSU.EDU

From:
MS Student <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 2009 10:37:59 -0400
Second Notice

Departmental Colloquium

The Giants of Wireless

Dr. Bert Lundy
Associate Professor
Computer Science Department
Naval Postgraduate School
Monterey, California

The news program Nightly Business Report recently selected the top
thirty innovations of the past thirty years. The top three innovations
selected were the Internet, the cell phone, and the personal computer.
If we tried to choose the top innovations (or inventions) of the past
two hundred years, surely the telegraph, the telephone, and wireless
communications  collectively the foundation upon which the Internet and
cellular networks were built  would be included.

What does it take to create a major invention, innovation, or
breakthrough? In this talk we take a look at several of the early
pioneers in wireless communications. The lives and careers of Faraday,
Maxwell, Hertz, Marconi, De Forest, Fessenden, and Armstrong are
reviewed, and their major contributions to wireless are discussed. By
doing this, we can learn from their strengths and weaknesses, and infer
important lessons which may help us in our quest to make major advances
in our own work.

We also consider the major breakthroughs themselves. One critical lesson
from all of these is very applicable today, and will be revealed.

The primary source for this talk is the author's new book: Telegraph,
Telephone and Wireless: How Telecom Changed the World.

About the Speaker: Bert Lundy is with the Computer Science Department at
the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California. His research
interests span several different aspects of computer and telecom
networks, such as formal models for protocol specification and analysis,
protocol testing, and network economics and policies, and, recently,
telecom history. He holds a Ph.D. in computer science from Georgia Tech.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009
1:30 p.m.3:30 p.m.
Department Conference Room

thanks!